Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 11:53 PM

340 posts, read 176,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned the Clippers….

It probably used to be. But with Steve Ballmer, they turned that whole ship around in the latter half of the last decade... if anything the Flips might be one of the best ran franchises now, Ballmer is not a cheap guy like the the PHX or NYK owners.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 05:18 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Do the Sacremento Kings give the Hornets a run for thier money as an all-time worst franchise?
I'd say no because the Kings did have that stretch of 7 straight playoff appearances and "The Greatest Show on Court" as short-lived as that was sadly. Now lately yes, the Kings broke the record for longest playoff drought this season but guess who has the 2nd longest current streak? Yep, Charlotte.

But historically, the Kings have reached heights I suppose that the Hornets never have. Hornets have never won more than 54 games in a season (Kings have 55 twice, 59, and 61) nor have they reached a conference final. And while the Hornets did have LJ and 'Zo, that was even more short-lived than "Greatest show on court".

Old 05-30-2022, 08:33 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I'd say no because the Kings did have that stretch of 7 straight playoff appearances and "The Greatest Show on Court" as short-lived as that was sadly. Now lately yes, the Kings broke the record for longest playoff drought this season but guess who has the 2nd longest current streak? Yep, Charlotte.

But historically, the Kings have reached heights I suppose that the Hornets never have. Hornets have never won more than 54 games in a season (Kings have 55 twice, 59, and 61) nor have they reached a conference final. And while the Hornets did have LJ and 'Zo, that was even more short-lived than "Greatest show on court".
I would say in 5 years as long as they can keep Ball happy, Charlotte will have had a much better run. They are on the verge of being a very good team. Sacramento with all the lottery picks all these years and they can't seem to pick that player who turns the franchise around.

My hunch is one more year missing the playoffs and Ball will want to be traded to the west coast.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:31 AM

643 posts, read 352,266 times
https://www.atthehive.com/2022/6/16/...where-they-are

Old 06-16-2022, 04:37 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Meanwhile, Montrezl Harrell's future may have just gone up in smoke. He was pulled over in Richmond, Kentucky, by a state trooper on May 12th for driving behind a vehicle too closely, the Charlotte Observer reported on Monday, citing court records.

Quote:
The trooper said he smelled marijuana and, after a search, discovered 3lbs of marijuana in vacuum-sealed bags inside a backpack in the backseat. Harrell has been charged with trafficking less than 5lbs of marijuana. If convicted, he could face up to five years in prison. He is scheduled for a preliminary court hearing on 13 July.
I always liked the way he played, especially with the Clippers. He ws to become a free agent this offseason.

Hornets’ Harrell faces drug charge after police say he had 3lbs of marijuana in car

Old 06-18-2022, 10:13 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, Montrezl Harrell's future may have just gone up in smoke. He was pulled over in Richmond, Kentucky, by a state trooper on May 12th for driving behind a vehicle too closely, the Charlotte Observer reported on Monday, citing court records.

I always liked the way he played, especially with the Clippers. He ws to become a free agent this offseason.

Hornets’ Harrell faces drug charge after police say he had 3lbs of marijuana in car

Wow that is sad. If you are driving around with contraband follow the traffic laws. I used to watch all the real cops shows. Amazing how many people get pulled over for speeding or whatever and have all this illegal stuff in their vehicles.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:44 PM

Kenny Atkinson has had a change of heart.

Quote:
ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reported to the world on Saturday, via Twitter, that Kenny Atkinson, who’d previously agreed to become Charlotte’s next head coach, will remain an assistant with the Golden State Warriors for the 2022-23 season.
Kenny Atkinson reportedly informs Hornets he no longer wants job, stays with Warriors

Old 06-19-2022, 04:19 PM

643 posts, read 352,266 times
Quote:

We don't need him either. Will find another good one.

Old 06-20-2022, 09:02 AM

It did not occur to me to look up the Hornets all-time win-loss record, 1126-1423, but judging by that alone, they are not the worst NBA franchise ever. That would be Minnesota who has won 39.9% of their games and is #30 on the wins list. Charlotte is at #26 winning 44%. Nothing to brag about. I mentioned the Kings up thread. They are right above Charlotte at #24 at 45.4%. The Clippers are #29. The Heat, on the other hand, who came into the NBA at the same time as the Hornets, are #8. I could give you the New Orleans W-L record because they were the Hornets for a time, but that confuses me. LOL

List of all-time NBA win–loss records

Charlotte had their most success in the 90s. They were often a very exciting team, but that never really translated into playoff sucess. I believe they have only won two playoff series, the last in 2002. (I double checked. They've won three playoff series, but never made it beyond the second round. SOURCE) The last best season they had was 49-33 in 1999. They won 50+ games three times in the 90s. The best year since 1999 was 2015-2016 when they went 48-34 and finished tied for 3rd in the East based on record. (That part is going by memory. They tied with Miami and one other team, then lost to Miami in the first round of the playoffs.) As the Bobcats, the best they did was 44-38 in 2009-2010.

Charlotte Hornets All Time Record

It is fair to say the Hornets have been historically bad. Charlotte has had an NBA team for32 seasons. They have made the playoffs 10 times. The play-in game this past season does not count.

As far as coaches

Quote:
The Hornets have had a strong history of coaches, beginning with Dick Harter from 1988-90. Allan Bristow is the winningest coach in franchise history with a record of 207-203 from 1991-96. Dave Cowens, who replaced Bristow in 1996, has the best winning percentage (.609), posting a record of 109-70 over two and a half seasons.
Hornets Coaches

Old 06-25-2022, 04:36 AM

Speaking of past Hornets coaches, what is old is new again --

Steve Clifford returns to Hornets for 2nd stint as head coach

Quote:
Steve Clifford led Charlotte to a 196-214 record with a pair of playoff appearances in 5 seasons from 2013-2018.
I like Clifford and hope he can turn things around, but I kinda thought that ship had sailed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball