Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 03:08 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

The Tub might have been drained at Kentucky, but it looks like Tubby is still up to form. His Gophers stomped my Louisville Cardinals (it was much worse than the score) and are now in the Top 25 - it was Tubby's 4th straight win over 2 NIT Rick (aka Rick Pitino). I believe Minnesota didn't have 10 wins the year before Tubby got there. (they went to the NIT his first year)

Tubby was make the Sweet 16 in his second year at both Tulsa and Georgia, he won a Championship in his first year at Kentucky. Anyone see the Gophers make it deep in the tourney this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 03:30 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
That would be great, they havent been 10-0 for 20some years. Supposedly the top 5 recruits he got are arguably better than last years starting 5. If he can keep the kids a few years Gophers may become a force again. He may like to stay there, as there wont be the media scrutiny there was in KY. Its a bigger market, but hoop is #1 at KY, its #2 or 3 in MN.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:39 PM

The problem with Tubby at a major bball school is he hates all the highly rated prima donna recruits. He'd rather get to a Sweet 16 with 10 average players who give full effort every game rather than go through all the drama you get with a lot of the "big time" guys.

Since Tubby got forced out at UK, he only has added motivation to prove he's one of the Top 5 coaches

Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
UK should have never forced Tubby out of town. I have always thought he is a great coach and a classy one too!

Old 12-23-2008, 06:06 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Anything that makes the Kentucky Wildcats look even more foolish brings me joy. I also thought he was an underappreciated and very classy coach.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:05 PM

The 40% of UK fans who didn't want him forced out are started to speak up. If 2 DUI Billy loses to Rick NITino and the Cardinals just a few weeks after Tubby spanked them on a neutral floor it could get real ugly.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 PM

820 posts, read 2,867,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
UK should have never forced Tubby out of town. I have always thought he is a great coach and a classy one too!
He was an excellent coach. I do think he began to lose some of his passion near the end, but who wouldn't with the lack of personal support he received from the administration and the UK fans that expect at least a final four appearance every year. UK isn't an easy place to coach and I'm not quite convinced that Billy G. will be around long. As far as I was concerned, Tubby's character stood for as much as his winning record - both were impressive and at the top of the charts!

Loved seeing him whip up on Louisville this weekend!!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 AM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
Tubby was and is a classy person. The problem is he coaches an exceedingly boring game to watch! Walk it down the floor, give the other team plenty of time to set their defense, work the clock and then put up a desperation shot. Ick! I for one wish him well but am glad he is gone from UK. We have season tickets and didn't go to one game the last year he was here. It was just too painful to endure. Basketball is much more fun to watch when it's an up tempo game. I have concerns about Billie G. too but do think he eats, breathes, sleeps the game. I think this years team has great potential. We'll see.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:15 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Tubby was and is a classy person. The problem is he coaches an exceedingly boring game to watch! Walk it down the floor, give the other team plenty of time to set their defense, work the clock and then put up a desperation shot. Ick! I for one wish him well but am glad he is gone from UK. We have season tickets and didn't go to one game the last year he was here. It was just too painful to endure. Basketball is much more fun to watch when it's an up tempo game. I have concerns about Billie G. too but do think he eats, breathes, sleeps the game. I think this years team has great potential. We'll see.

A nice boring 16-1 ... hmm, most people would accept that.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:54 PM

Billy Gillespie's recruiting has been a mixed success so far. He seems to do great at getting 5 star big men (Patrick Patterson, Daniel Orton, Dominique Ferguson) but he has yet to bring in any guards that are even 3 star level - Legion, Liggins, and Miller might have been rated higher but they are very average college level guards in real life. BG is very fortunate he has that 3 star Tubby recruit named Jodie Meeks on the roster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball