Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times

Advertisements

Rivals High - School seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

What do you guys think? Should these girls feel bad and apologize for running up the score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 AM

473 posts, read 714,866 times
imo- (which isnt worth much i realize)- i am very involved with the sports program in our local school. if this were a junior high or pee wee game i would have a stronger response, but it wasnt, it was high school ball. however, there is a lot more to sports than playing the game and winning. there is a reason taxpayers continue to support sports programs in their schools and its not because most of them think they are raising future pro sports athletes. its because it is a teaching tool. aside from the athletic skills it takes to be on a team, for my children, sports is a way to learn discipline, respect for your teammates and your opponents, and how to work as a team. these teams teach our kids valuable skills that will go on with them in the work place. how to know what your strengths and weaknesses are and to recognize strenghts in others. how to overcome difficult situations, how to believe in yourself despite unbelievable odds, but also how to be gracious, humble and merciful. this is a case where someone fell a bit short.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
imo- (which isnt worth much i realize)- i am very involved with the sports program in our local school. if this were a junior high or pee wee game i would have a stronger response, but it wasnt, it was high school ball. however, there is a lot more to sports than playing the game and winning. there is a reason taxpayers continue to support sports programs in their schools and its not because most of them think they are raising future pro sports athletes. its because it is a teaching tool. aside from the athletic skills it takes to be on a team, for my children, sports is a way to learn discipline, respect for your teammates and your opponents, and how to work as a team. these teams teach our kids valuable skills that will go on with them in the work place. how to know what your strengths and weaknesses are and to recognize strenghts in others. how to overcome difficult situations, how to believe in yourself despite unbelievable odds, but also how to be gracious, humble and merciful. this is a case where someone fell a bit short.
Very well put, kudos and reps.

I think they should have offered to stop at half-time - and I'll bet it was considered - but that would have been awkward/humiliating too. Stopping at half-time and a gracious explanation was the only opportunity and no one took it.

But they should NOT forfeit and they CERTAINLY should not apologize!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:52 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Psh, maybe they should have shot a couple into the loser's basket to "make it fair".

((Personally, I do think it very unsportmanlike to completely obliterate another team in such fashion. A good competitive game is much better than a blowout))

Old 01-23-2009, 03:26 PM

178 posts, read 361,079 times
so a christian team runs up the score on a much smaller school consisting of students with learning disabilities? Wow, I'm impressed!

they ran a full court press and shot 3 pointers till they reached 100 points and only then backed off, time to be sorry was about 60 points ago. what a joke of a coach, no the kids shouldn't apologise but the coach... what a scumbag. What does he want to prove anyway?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:48 PM
emh

298 posts, read 852,010 times
I just read that the coach got fired. Though not necessarily for running up the score but for refusing to apologize for it.

Anyway, I think people are making too big of a deal about this. I played high school soccer on a really bad team. So bad that we lost one of our games 17-0 which has to be the equivalent of losing a basketball game 100-0. Did it scar me for life? No. In fact, now I look back at it and laugh. Yeah it was embarrassing at the time but no more embarrassing than lots of other stuff that happened in high school.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:57 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
If they weren't playing a school for DEVELOPMENTALLY CHALLENGED CHILDREN (that only enrolls 30 total girls) they wouldn't

Old 01-26-2009, 04:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
why were they even in the same league? It was certainly poor sportsmanship but they should not have had to forfeit. Given the situation, they should have been prepared for something llike that happening and had a plan. Shooting 3's and keeping in your first string....no excuse for that.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
I don't have a problem with them running up the score, what I do have a problem with is the fact that even in the 2nd half up by over 60 points, they were still going with full court press with all the starters in and still shooting 3s. That's what I have a problem with. Once up by 50 or 60 points, he should have put in the bench and layed off full court press and 3 pointers. There is more to playing games than just winning. The coach sounds like an arrogant jerk!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:48 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
why were they even in the same league? It was certainly poor sportsmanship but they should not have had to forfeit. Given the situation, they should have been prepared for something llike that happening and had a plan. Shooting 3's and keeping in your first string....no excuse for that.
If by league you mean conference, well that happens often. My JV Basketball team scheduled some good teams outside our conference quite often because they were the only ones available.

Honestly, there's no reason for the losing team to forfeit, but the other team IMO needs to just back off a little when you go up by 40-50 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball