Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times

Advertisements

Or they tell you, "If you don't like it leave." They generally have no interest in change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Or they tell you, "If you don't like it leave." They generally have no interest in change...
And that's their business. If they have no interest in changing their habits, they have no interest in changing their habits. It is a free country, after all.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:33 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Definitely didn't expect this..... but, yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
And that's their business. If they have no interest in changing their habits, they have no interest in changing their habits. It is a free country, after all.
If someone comes to my city and off the bat says something like "You all need to change and do _____" or "NOLA has to have ______", then I'll definitely be the first to say get the hell out. Now if it's moreso in the form of a suggestion or objective criticism I'll be open to hear it.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 AM

228 posts, read 444,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Obviously, you know nothing outside of Baton Rouge. At least you come off that way. Otherwise you would have known better than to make a comment so stupid.

On that note, compare the comments on the Baton Rouge forum to those on the New Orleans forum. Hell, or even Shreveport-Bossier forum.
See, that's the difference between you and me. I don't make judgements on cities based on comments on message boards, unlike you.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trafficsucks View Post
See, that's the difference between you and me. I don't make judgements on cities based on comments on message boards, unlike you.
...and where exactly did I do that? Reading comprehension is fundamental.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntafan16 View Post
Yes. Generally it's people not from BR versus those from BR. Those not from BR (myself included) often complain about BR. Those from BR have a lot of civic pride and tout it as a great place to live. Generally those from BR have a hard time understanding why people don't like it and sometimes deny such problems exist or at least deny the magnitude of those problems.

More often than not the arguments involve race. Those not from BR generally argue that whites in BR tend to be racist against other races and prejudice against people from other places, particularly the Coasts and urban Midwest cities. The BR people respond that they aren't and the non BR people are making things up. Then the non BR people say how would you know since you never lived in a big city before (BR doesn't count as one) and have lived in BR your whole life.

More often than not this is the case.

And I did notice this in the community as well. People would ask do you like BR. To be polite, you would say yes, but they would inquire further. Finally after you admit you dislike it, they get mad you don't like it and try to defend how great it is.
Or maybe you exaggerate things? I don't know.

People are people everywhere, for the most part. Plenty of people hate Baton Rouge, but many people amplify it's issues like with any other place. We defend our city like someone from Fargo would defend theirs; some people are extremist. Have you spent time here and befriend multiple people, because it is somewhat foolish to make such an assumption from a message board and its city-loving members or from a few visits.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,339,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntafan16 View Post
Yes. Generally it's people not from BR versus those from BR. Those not from BR (myself included) often complain about BR. Those from BR have a lot of civic pride and tout it as a great place to live. Generally those from BR have a hard time understanding why people don't like it and sometimes deny such problems exist or at least deny the magnitude of those problems.

More often than not the arguments involve race. Those not from BR generally argue that whites in BR tend to be racist against other races and prejudice against people from other places, particularly the Coasts and urban Midwest cities. The BR people respond that they aren't and the non BR people are making things up. Then the non BR people say how would you know since you never lived in a big city before (BR doesn't count as one) and have lived in BR your whole life.

More often than not this is the case.

And I did notice this in the community as well. People would ask do you like BR. To be polite, you would say yes, but they would inquire further. Finally after you admit you dislike it, they get mad you don't like it and try to defend how great it is.
Interesting. I'm sure this isn't Baton Rouge specific and is probably the case for most cities out there. You're always going to have locals that can't see any fault with their city, and you're always going to have transplants who are not satisfied with the way things are.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Definitely didn't expect this..... but, yea

If someone comes to my city and off the bat says something like "You all need to change and do _____" or "NOLA has to have ______", then I'll definitely be the first to say get the hell out. Now if it's moreso in the form of a suggestion or objective criticism I'll be open to hear it.
It just seems to me like in the case of Baton Rouge people who come here from elsewhere just cannot be pleased with this town. They are never satisfied. They find fault with nearly everything. I admit I am somewhat biased but I am not stupid and I know there are problems, but I also know that there are alot of very nice aspects of Baton Rouge. But heaven forbid a born-and-bred resident answer a critic, or then comes the accusations of us being ignorant, undereducated, and "resistant". I admit that I don't want to see that much sweeping change in Baton Rouge. Better traffic flow, a bus system that was a little more convenient, decent schools, and a decent crime rate is all I need out of my city. I don't want my town taken over by outsiders because they think its a trendy place to be. The city should be more concerned with the longtime residents...the people who aren't going to get up and leave with the drop of the hat (sounds selfish but its true). I love my city with the good and the bad. Somehow it just wouldn't be home if some of the negative things didn't exist to some extent. If I wanted to live in (instert futuristic, progressive, liberal, trendy city here), I'd move there. And I just don't understand...if Baton Rouge is so terrible, why are they here? I want to tell them "please, do yourself a favor and live someplace you can enjoy." I cannot imagine living someplace where I found fault with every little thing. What kind of life is that?

Old 06-24-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I admit that I don't want to see that much sweeping change in Baton Rouge. Better traffic flow, a bus system that was a little more convenient, decent schools, and a decent crime rate is all I need out of my city.
I don't know all that much about Baton Rouge, but it seems like that is all it needs based on what I hear and read.

Quote:
If I wanted to live in (instert futuristic, progressive, liberal, trendy city here), I'd move there. I cannot imagine living someplace where I found fault with every little thing. What kind of life is that?
Likewise.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
With all these comments, I will say something. I have lived in 5 different states and really have no one town to call"home". I have lived in Baton Rouge since march of 2005, right before Katrina we moved here. I must say, this town is really a great place to live! I have never, not even once, felt like an outsider! Our neighbors are all from here and they hang out with us, and ask many questions about other places to live, why we moved here, how was Florida etc....Florida, while pretty, has nothing to offer my family and I. I am talking about south Florida. people are very rude and in a hurry-all the time, traffic is worse than here-all the time, and people on vacation just think they can run the whole town with their attitudes. Many of those who live there rarely go to the beach and hang out. This town does have racist, but it is black against white if you ask me! Many times I see blacks helping out blacks etc, but when whitey comes along, they turn away. This is evident in stores like Toys R us, where I was purposley ignored by a black cashier whe I asked where a itme was. Then a black woman came up and asked where an item was to the same cashier and they were laughing and talking all the way to the items area in question. So, no, the racism is not always white to black. Also, I was so welcomed in my job by all the locals that have lived here! I like it here and the only way I would leave is if we have ill family in Florida. People who live hare forever so complain about it, but anyone from anywhere has complaints about their own town! Hope we can improve things here, but for now, I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge