Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:35 PM

172 posts, read 180,805 times

Advertisements

I remember going with my mom for BIG shopping trips. My brother and I would fight over who put the cart back, i.e. keep the quarter. I remember very little about it except that it was HUGE, I loved the cakes they had in the bakery and the generic brands that came in plain,bright yellow boxes with the contents in lowercase black block letters like "cat food" or "beer".

Funny, I was thinking about The Real Superstore a few weeks ago and came across this blog entry about it. Abandoned Baton Rouge: The real Superstore : No prices every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,324,621 times
Its a canadian company and the stores still exist up there. They completely pulled out of the US market.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 AM

42 posts, read 300,756 times
I found this post on the Baton Rouge City-Data page and had to comment. I was one of the first employees at the Super Store in Baton Rouge when it first opened around the early to mid 80's. I think every person and family in Baton Rouge shopped there when it first opened as it was unique in appearance and had just about everything you could imagine. For the first few months, all registers had unending lines of customers waiting to be checked out. I really think it was a phenomenon at the time. There were several different departments (kitchen wares, bakery, florist, beauty, seafood and hot deli). I worked as a cashier and customer service and most of us were all transplant employees from the old National Food Stores that closed. I recall working 70 hours a week during the first month of its grand opening. I eventually left the grocery business and went to work as an admin assistant for an insurance company (Union National Life) on old Goodwood that went out of business. I believe the Superstore was sold off, but what great memories in its beginnings.

Last edited by topaz47; 05-05-2014 at 01:24 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
I worked at the Lafayette location in 1986. It was great at that time!
Lots of cool merchandise. They introduced generic packaging: plain white package with plain black lettering.
The fresh bread from the bakery would never make it home-it was too delicious.
It appears in the movie "The Host", based on Stephenie Meyer's (Twilight author) book.
What a shock it was to see the store in the movie! Talk about a flashback.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:16 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,372 times
Is the building still there? I recall seeing it when I started college in B.R. in 1994. It was closed then and I couldn't understand why it was still there. Fast forward to 2016 and I still don't understand why it is still there.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I couldn't have been closed in 94. I was born in 91 and remember going there, I know I was older than 3.

But yes, still there, homeless people live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge