Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 06:12 AM

4 posts, read 15,338 times

Advertisements

I am a mature incoming LSU Grad student trying to find safe, affordable housing from afar (I currently live waaay out of state). I have found a deal that sounds almost too good to be true, and I am wondering if any of you know the place or area and can either burst my bubble or surprise me and say, no, it's actually a decent, safe area...It's Highlander Townhomes at 3005 Highlander Rd., which I am told is a gated complex only 3 blocks north of LSU, on the eastern side (which is the less dangerous side, right?...)

I would be really appreciative of any perspectives, details, or facts you have about this place/area.

Muchas gracias!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 AM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
There are condos there now so the actual place may not be bad, but the neighborhood borders some rough areas. I've done business around the North Gates during college and afterwards, but I wouldn't really consider living there. I know LSU is trying hard to gentrify the area (if you want to call it that). But it doesn't change the fact that the ghetto north (that area between the North Gates and downtown) is still a rough area for anyone to get caught up in. I'd much rather take my chances south of campus.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 AM

4 posts, read 15,338 times
Default Thank you!

I really appreciate your honest answer, and your first-hand perspective. Safety first! There's no reason to live in a high-risk area when there are perfectly live-able lower risk areas close to campus. As a graduate student, I've been warned to avoid "Tigerland", south of campus, for the general noise and partying there, but I guess I'd rather put up with that than with potentially violent crime and constantly fearing for my saftety...So much to juggle.

Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:45 AM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
Yes, Tigerland is known for it's noise, it's darkness with the lack of adequate lighting, and robberies.
I'm not sure how close you're wanting to be to campus (walking/biking/bus). The areas just south of campus along Highland, Burbank, Nicholson aren't bad. I have friends living in Oakbrook on Nicholson and even though they do have their occasions of partying, it's pretty quiet there. And south of campus you don't have the random vagrants walking around outside your apartment, like they do north of campus.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 5,871 times
Default Honest Answer

Sorry for the late post but I just came across it. I am an owner of one of the units here. As far as safety goes, there has been only 2 things that come to mind. Considering the units are literally on the border of the "rough" stereo typical neighborhood, just be mentally prepared. There has been a few changes regarding managment of the complex. But during the time the fence was damaged a few vehicles were broken into (mine being one of them). Make sure to have homeowners/renters insurance. And not to leave valuable items in your vehicle. Keep it clean and make sure you leave nothing valuable or important...including your book bag. The neighbors pretty much keep to themselves. The building is very sturdy (Its a big giant concrete block). Parking is annoying to get in and out of. And sometimes other tenants take your assigned spots. The units are usually listed as 2BR 1 Bath. Which is true. However its really a small renovate 2 BR apartment. I can describe it if you care about the details. Honestly, have insurance ready and be mentally prepared. If this is the cheapest route, I would take it. That is what I did. I walk to work/class everyday. I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you need anymore info.

-Jack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge