Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 PM

17 posts, read 49,717 times

Advertisements

thanks so much for the responses...i was looking at a place today over by aubin lake (tiny thing, can hardly call it a lake) and it seemed pretty safe. do you know much about that area? also i have an appt to view some townhomes in jefferson place tomorrow, any thoughts?

i appreciate it, thanks! also, i really don't mind commuting 15-30 min...i just really don't want to live near the campus. i'm not like most students...i've been out of college for years and just recently decided to go to vet school. so i would like to be set back a little from the campus life - hopefully the complexes 15 or so min out will be low student population. is this an okay assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtbtaylor View Post
thanks so much for the responses...i was looking at a place today over by aubin lake (tiny thing, can hardly call it a lake) and it seemed pretty safe. do you know much about that area? also i have an appt to view some townhomes in jefferson place tomorrow, any thoughts?

i appreciate it, thanks! also, i really don't mind commuting 15-30 min...i just really don't want to live near the campus. i'm not like most students...i've been out of college for years and just recently decided to go to vet school. so i would like to be set back a little from the campus life - hopefully the complexes 15 or so min out will be low student population. is this an okay assumption?
Aubin Lake is decent - there is a mixture of townhomes built in the 80s and more recently, and they're secluded. Can't say it's the best commute from an LSU perspective, though. And, yes, there will be VERY few students that far out.

As to Jefferson Place, you're referring to the higher dollar townhomes roughly set between Jefferson and I-12 near the 10/12 split, right (with Las Palmas down the street) ? If so, that's a pretty good part of town. Interestingly, the many complexes along Jefferson between Bocage and the BR Country Club seem to have been kept up decently, even though a lot of those complexes have probably been around since the 60s/70s.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
Quote:

This is a good assumption. Nearly everything on Jefferson is less student, more professional oriented residents (young and old). Most places on College/Lee and Brightside are college students. The Garden District and Spanishtown are mixed with more progressive minded people (student and professional).
If you stay within the semi arc made by Airline Hwy, you'll definitely be within 15-30 minutes max from campus.
I live right around the corner and I honestly don't know anything about Jefferson Place. I know Maison Bocage is a little expensive, and it's in the same general area. The area is generally really nice; you're close to Towne Center, Drusilla, Bluebonnet (the mall), Essen and CitiPlace. You also have easy access to I-12 and I-10. With the proximity to I-12, I don't know what road noise might be like there. I'm down the road and unless the wind is blowing from that way, I don't hear it much at all and it's never bothered me. The worst part about the whole area can be traffic on Jefferson some afternoons. There are tennis courts immediately across the street from Jeff Place. City Park isn't that far away towards downtown. Jefferson isn't very biker friendly however. A mile away you have a good choice of grocery stores: Hi Nabor, Whole Foods and Calvin's. Maxwells nearby is an excellent meat market.
And the whole area is generally quiet at night except for the occassional police/fire truck going down Jefferson.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM

Jefferson Place Condominiums - Baton Rouge, LA

these are the ones i am looking at on wednesday...

do you just not recommend the length of the commute to LSU from this area? or is it hard to get there from that area?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Jefferson Place Condominiums - Baton Rouge, LA

these are the ones i am looking at on wednesday...

do you just not recommend the length of the commute to LSU from this area? or is it hard to get there from that area?
It's not too hard, because the on ramp to I-12 is not far away, and you won't get the worst of the I-12 traffic. HOWEVER, you will get the bad traffic from the "downtown exodus."

You know, with your preference not to live near students, there are some apartments on College between I-10 and S. Foster, and there are several complexes on S Foster between Webb Park and Claycut which are probably OK and (with the exception of Fairway View) cater to an older crowd. You'll then be in the Capital Heights area, which I'm so so about, but you may personally find to your liking. And it'll be closer to campus.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:16 AM

awesome, i'll start looking there as well!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
awesome, i'll start looking there as well!!!
Best of luck (and let us know what you think). You'll like Baton Rouge, despite all the negativity that surrounds our fair city on this message board.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM

378 posts, read 1,206,625 times
If you have the funds to rent at Jefferson Place, you should check out the large apartment complex on Claycut between Foster and the elementary school. No, I don't know the name of it but I've had a few people tell me it's a great place to live - just pricey. The location would be perfect for access to LSU, you can go right down Claycut to Acadian and head south.

Jefferson Place would be a good choice but I know they are trying to sell the units. I'd be a little concerned about having to move if they sold yours, so check it out carefully.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbean View Post
If you have the funds to rent at Jefferson Place, you should check out the large apartment complex on Claycut between Foster and the elementary school. No, I don't know the name of it but I've had a few people tell me it's a great place to live - just pricey. The location would be perfect for access to LSU, you can go right down Claycut to Acadian and head south.

Jefferson Place would be a good choice but I know they are trying to sell the units. I'd be a little concerned about having to move if they sold yours, so check it out carefully.
(To the OP: this is/these are the complex/complexes I was referring to that are on S Foster between Webb Park and Claycut)

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
The Patrician???

They are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge