Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM

7 posts, read 53,141 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We are relocating from west Tx to BR for my husbands job. I have a 5 year old son and I am a stay at home mom. I am so paranoid about it, hearing about all the crime. Where are the safe places to live? We are looking to rent a 3br home in nice neighborhood and I dont know where to look. Online searches arent produsing much right now. We dont want to pay more than 1200. a month but from what I see most houses rent for more. Is it best to contact realtors with rental properties and does anyone know of any? Also where are the safest places to live? I keep reading stay away from North BR but then people throw Gardere and other places in as not safe and they are south BR, so you can see how I am confused. Can someone please give some advice and/or leads on where to look? My thanks in advance - someone calm my nerves! I am considering buying a dog when I get there for safety reasons.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 AM

595 posts, read 1,172,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmom76 View Post
Hello.

We are relocating from west Tx to BR for my husbands job. I have a 5 year old son and I am a stay at home mom. I am so paranoid about it, hearing about all the crime. Where are the safe places to live? We are looking to rent a 3br home in nice neighborhood and I dont know where to look. Online searches arent produsing much right now. We dont want to pay more than 1200. a month but from what I see most houses rent for more. Is it best to contact realtors with rental properties and does anyone know of any? Also where are the safest places to live? I keep reading stay away from North BR but then people throw Gardere and other places in as not safe and they are south BR, so you can see how I am confused. Can someone please give some advice and/or leads on where to look? My thanks in advance - someone calm my nerves! I am considering buying a dog when I get there for safety reasons.

Thanks guys!
North and south are pretty bad areas so go to the east and there are a lot of neighborhoods that are much safer.As for as the rent I do not know what houses rent for to the east and I say east because I live right on the river side of BR.and You could go west across the river which is not to bad or You go east.May some more knowledgeable people will answer Your post today.Just use private schools and pay attention to Your surroundings and you will be OK.A dog can only do so much,get an alert dog not a vicious guard or attack dog.I feel sure someone will answer Your post and give You some better answers.Don't be scared unless you deal or steal do not mean to insinuate anything.BR can be a good place to live.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Thank you. No, no dealing we are a down to earth average conservative family. I have a 5 year old son and refuse to live where he and my family cant play outside. I will definitely be looking east, thank you for clarifying. I was also wondering why Coursey is such a bad street? As far as the dog, I dont plan on buying a vicious or attack dog, but an alert one. I hope you are right, I hope someone else has advice to offer, I am used to smalltown Texas so this should be interesting!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:29 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
I honestly dont think you need to be that concerned. Baton rouge isnt EasT St Louis or Gary, Indiana. Its not as bad as inner city New Orleans or Detroit. If you live somewherel ike Bocage or goodwood or one of the outer suburbs, you will be fine. Just dontl ive north of FLorida or north of LSU campus or along Gardere lane.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:10 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
In order to give you a useful answer, it would help if you knew what part of the city your husband's job is in, and whether or not he is willing to tolerate heavy traffic and bad drivers.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM

His job is just south of LSU Campus off of Ben Hur in Arlington area?.... I dont think he wants a traffic headache everyday but we DO want to stay in Baton Rouge and not too far out. Although I know he would tolerate some traffic for us to be in a safe and decent neighborhood.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM

794 posts, read 3,356,543 times
Move to Ascension.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times
Please do not let the media scare you! We have lived here for 5 years now and have yet to feel unsafe! The only places I would avoid are the ones previously mentioned. I live off of Airline in south Baton Rouge and we love it. I don't know why the person said south is bad! There is Briarwood, woordrige and Rolling Meadows subdivisions in this area to name just a few, and those are beautiful and very safe neighborhoods. We have a 6 year old and would not send her to public school whatsoever! They are bad here. Also, if you go on CJ Brown website and search baton Rouge neighborhoods, you will find listings of many great neighborhoods and homes for sale. Baton Rouge has mosre family friendly things to do than any other city I have lived in(and that has been many) and the people here are great as is the food! Many young families here and easy to make friends! Godd Luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM

82 posts, read 221,764 times
I grew up in Baton Rouge and lived most of my life there. My family owns Coffee Call, a local coffeehouse icon. South Baton Rouge is a fine place to live (just don't go down Gardere Lane area). You may find places in your price range in the Magnolia Woods areas, possibly even Southdowns. Kennilworth is a very nice area to live as well. East is a nice area, but you may hate to deal with the traffic getting from east to LSU area.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Okay, pull up a google map. Locate Florida Boulevard. Now, not every single neighborhood in the city that is north of Florida Boulevard is bad, but they are not popular--there is a stigma. Now you have eliminated half of the city.

Next, Find Government Street and South Foster Drive. Eliminate any areas to the northeast of this intersection.

Next, Find Roosevelt Street. The neighborhood bordered by Roosevelt to the south (aka LSU north gates), The Mississippi River to the west, Government street to the north, and 18th street and Dalrymple Drive to the east, can be elminated, with the exception of the northwest corner.

Next, Find Gardere Lane. The neighborhoods off of Gardere Lane between Burbank Drive and Nicholson Drive can be elminated.

Next, search for Bawell Street. The neighborhood known as Valley Park, bordered by Bawell Street to the North, Acadian Thruway to the West, Perkins Road to the south, and College Drive to the East. Eliminate anything in this neighborhood.

Also avoid Boulevard de Province.

Familiarize yourself with google street view. It is your friend. Using this tool you can preview most neighborhoods. Things to look out for include areas where many of the cars appear to have "bling" rims. This is usually indicative of thugs.

I realize this is alot of information, but hopefully I have communicated it to you effectively. If you need more information on a particular street, feel free to shoot me a private message. I hope everything works out for your family and I look forward to having you all here in the Baton Rouge area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge