Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,533 times

Advertisements

The Bend market is cooling and will continue to cool. Time is on your side. Bend is a great area if you like outdoor activities (skiing, hiking, fishing, etc.) If you have kids, being away from extended family stinks, however. Be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 04:34 AM

12 posts, read 56,222 times
Default if you move, they will visit and follow

I left the east coast (new york) 18 years ago and moved to Oregon.
the first couple of years were a bit lonely, traveling home for the holidays.
However gradually my sibilings started visiting more and moving to the northwest. Finally, my parents retired and moved to Portland. The couldn't be happier. Now they have kids and grandkids in Portland, Eugene, Bend and Seatlle. We are all with in a short drive of each other, but all independently in our own cities. Life is good. I personally live in Bend. Having lived in many other rainy cities in the Northwest, I love the climate in Bend.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarm1 View Post
Thanks so much! I really appreciate the feedback and wish you the best with your move!
Thanks! We're here and LOVING IT!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 04:44 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
You must be in the middle of your move right now!! Please let us all know how it went and also how your introduction to the new home, area, and city are turning out for you. That is always the best to hear the thoughts connected to fresh eyes. Can't wait to hear. Pictures please--LOL. Actually strike that if that is pressure. I am sure you have more then enough on your plate. Hope all went well.
Yes, we made it and really are loving it!! We're in SW Portland and the people here are beyond friendly and welcoming. Many, many walking paths with strategic parks placed every so often. The kids LOVE it!! The weather is amazing, even the heat is bearable. We do have A/C but have yet to turn it on. Since being here, we've been to the coast twice, the mountains once and downtown several times, all w/ the kiddos and they all did great and loved it. There really is so much to do here it's unbelievable! Very international feel. Our neighbors on one side are from China and on the other are from Argentina and France. Kids are always out riding bikes and the kids/parents all know each other.
I'd recommend this area in a heartbeat and again say go ahead and take a chance!! If we're here a few years and decide it's not for us (don't see that happening!!) we can always go back!!!
Had to laugh at your comment on the photos...yes, I'm not that organized! lol!! We still have too many boxes to imagine and part of a load arriving next Monday!! But we're here....yay!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 02:24 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,287 times
Stewarm-we are struggling as much as you, but we are out here in MA, with all of our family in the west coast. The quality of life here is good, and that makes any decision to leave tough. please PM me if you would like to talk some more.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:12 AM

60 posts, read 365,105 times
stwearm1, check out mncamper's response to the question of the advisability of moving to Bend. Better to consider all input, good AND bad...

Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 PM

73 posts, read 229,373 times
We're moving to Bend at the end of the month - we looked at the good (the four real seasons of weather, the friendliness of the people, the beauty of the area, the opportunities for outdoor activities), the bad (the guy in the Hummer in front of me one day there), and the ugly (there is a glut of homes on the market) before making a decision.

The good won out, and we can't wait to be there.

A lot of folks complain that Bend has grown so much, and I'm sure that is a problem for those who grew up in a sleepier town (much like what happened in many areas) - but the fact is that with a population of 70K, Bend has MOST things one wants in town and you needn't drive two hours to get to most services you want. I've lived in a town with a population under 30K before, and it doesn't suit me well.

Bend also isn't the big city - you'll hear complaints about the traffic, but really it isn't bad at all if you've ever lived in or around a city - I've lived in areas where it can take two hours to go 30 miles, so Bend's traffic isn't a problem for me personally.

When we were looking for homes, we looked in both the Summit and Mountain View HS districts. I've heard Bend HS is also good, but our preference was one of the other schools.

We do not have family in Bend, but many of the people we met in town told us that because so much of the population is imported, people tend to swap child care with one another, which is fine with me. We have a 14 year old and an almost-five year old -- the 14 year old is looking forward to making some money by babysitting.

Feel free to PM me if there's anything you want to ask more privately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend