Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 85,140 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are re looking to find a smaller city to raise a family with tons of outdoor access (kayaking, camping, fishing, hiking, biking, etc.) We're looking for someplace a little more laid back than the east coast grind. From everything I've been reading Bend is the place to be for that kind of outdoorsey lifestyle. There seem to be a whole lot of excellent reviews about the city and most of the threads / posts about Bend here are very positive. I know it is crazy to ask for complaints but I'd like to get a complete picture and I want to be sure I have considered everything. I will respect everyone's opinion so PLEASE share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 AM

682 posts, read 1,578,382 times
I love love love Bend and Central Oregon in general, and I hate to criticize it at all. That being said, here are some things to consider (with apologies if I'm off on some of these as this is coming from a Portlander/frequent visitor standpoint):

1. Jobs/economy
2. Overbuilt housing market
3. Remote, Portland is 3+ hours away, Seattle/SF even farther
4. Not super diverse (outdoorsy hipsters, retirees, country folks, and vacation rentals dominate)
5. Traffic is kinda bad for a small town
6. Health care is expensive there due to local monopoly
7. College scene, though improving, is still nothing compared to the actual college towns (Eugene/Corvallis/Ashland/etc.)
8. "300 days of sun" moniker is a myth (though it is definitely less gloomy than the Willamette Valley), and winters can be rough
9. Environmental concerns versus industry/jobs is always a battleground in this region. Latest one that comes to mind is the geothermal project which has potential to generate a lot of energy but is also scaring the daylights out of people for environmental/safety concerns..
10. Seriously, the economy is not good - the biggest job engine is tourism which doesn't produce a lot of high wage jobs, and competition for the good ones is fierce. Times were better during the housing boom (construction industry). OK, I said it twice, but that was for emphasis.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:23 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,208 times
This guys blog lists many ..

Bend Sux

Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
This guys blog lists many ..

Bend Sux
I don't know how much of it is true, but it sure is fun to read.

In the comments he says the man on the toilet is :"FYI, the photo at the top of this post actually shows Jack Elliott, The Best-Smelling Man in Bend(TM), at his morning toilette. Or toilet."

Old 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM

480 posts, read 2,465,592 times
1. Not enough mid- liberal thinkers
2. Too many ultra conservative Fox News believers
3. Mediocre local newspaper that doesn't go a day without a "correction" (but they do carry some of the best funnies)
4. People who don't signal when exiting roundabouts
5. People who don't leash their dogs in a leash-only area
6. People who don't pick up after their dogs whether leashed or not
7. A city council that doesn't listen to its citizens
8. County Commissioners who only seem to listen to the construction industry's side of an issue
9. People who don't take their studded tires off and police who never ticket them for it
10. People who move to Bend because they love how different it is from where they came from who then try to change it to be like where they came from

Old 04-25-2012, 03:43 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendite View Post
10. People who move to Bend because they love how different it is from where they came from who then try to change it to be like where they came from
THIS. The same types who move here and flaunt their 'money'. Culturally speaking, Oregon is a very modest state by nature. Please stop all this peacocking.

Also:

-Tough job market
-Non-diversified economy
-Lack of ethnic diversity
-Lack of other cultures
-Weathers not 300 days of sun - but it's still pretty darn sunny compared to most places in the USA
-Too quick growth
-Infrastructure needs improvements
-Poor road planning (97 ripping through the middle of town and the like)
-Many Bendites lack perspective
-Too much 'Bro' mentality and lack of education

Off the top of my head, anyway.

Note: I absolutely love it here and don't see myself leaving. Moved here over 1.5 years ago from the east coast.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:42 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
1. The economy-bottom line, do not move your family here unless you have secured employment
2. The weather-It really isn't all bad, but winter is long, spring seems to drag out, and summer isn't reliably here until after the 4th of July. Even though we aren't on the wet side of the Cascades, we still get the cloud cover many days in the winter and the late start to summer/short summer overall.
3. Forest Fires-It always seems like there are a few each summer that send Bend into bad air quality status, which also usually coincide with the hottest days of the year. So, even though it's hot out, you have to keep your windows closed to avoid breathing in the bad air. Thankfully, it doesn't usually last very long.
4. Tourism-I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love that it keeps our otherwise small city pretty happening and brings in good food, but I hate that I can never seem to get a table at those restaurants or a parking spot downtown during the peak tourism season(s).
5. Richy Rich Crowd-Overall, it's not too bad, but sometimes the elitist, entitled people that call Bend home can drive me crazy!
6. Isloation-This is relative, but Bend can feel isolated for people who are used to big cities and a faster paced lifestyle. It's also harder to get in and out of Bend, without paying more for it. Air travel via the Redmond Airport is usually $150-$200+ more per ticket.
7. Low Wages-Due to very little competition, wages are relatively low for many industries.
8. Growing Season-If you garden, be prepared to work pretty darn hard to get any summer vegetable crops to grow successfully here.
9. Crowded Trails-It's all relative, but at times I find the crowds on popular hiking or other recreational trails to make me crazy. I also find the fees I have to pay to access said trails to anger me slightly.
10. Infrastructure-During peak travel times, the roads can get pretty jammed up (again, totally relative). Many are also in disrepair. The tourists also increase the frustration since many struggle to figure out how to use a round-a-bout.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,052 times
Wow, I was looking forward to living there.. Portland may be better.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:46 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
Wow, I was looking forward to living there.. Portland may be better.
Take into consideration the OP ASKKKKKED for 10 reasons not to live in Bend because it seems too good to be true.

This isn't a thread ranting about how terrible Bend is, but an exercise.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Take into consideration the OP ASKKKKKED for 10 reasons not to live in Bend because it seems too good to be true.

This isn't a thread ranting about how terrible Bend is, but an exercise.
Exactly! While I do have my complaints about Bend, they really are minor (well, with the exception of the weather, but that's my own deal). I tried to come up with a list of 10 reasons, and I was reaching at times. I'm sure a list of 10 could also be created for Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend