Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Right? It's comical at best to say Bend is more expensive, 'yuppied' and liberal when compared to Ashland.....that is just funny to me and anyone else who has visited both cities. I mean, hell, Ashland's medium home value is well over $100,000 more than Bends and the town is 1/4th the size. Want to talk exclusionary? Please, go oooooooonnnnnn.....

I really, really like Ashland, btw. But I guess I'm one of those 'liberal thinkers' who is hurting Bend. Hahahahahahahahaahhahaahahaha

---
Also and just as a side note, most people in this region, it seems, rarely use the term yuppie correctly. Bend and Ashland have virtually no yuppies as they are defined. Just because people wear expensive outdoor gear or act rich doesn't make them a yuppie. If anything the 20/30 somethings of both cities couldn't be any less yuppie. The greater majority could careless about upward professional mobility. They often move to these areas for quality of life rather than a job.

Come to where I grew up in Baltimore and I'll show you a yuppie. That or take a walk around the mall in DC for 5 seconds.

I guess it could just be regional - it just irks me. /End rant.
Ashland is basically run by rich California retirees... They might have been yuppies back in the 1980s basically, but as my parents like to say, now they're more of "Gruppies"... I loved that town for a few years a decade ago, but it's so damn pricey these days, everyone I knew who stayed there after college(just a few people, really) ended up moving to Talent or Medford or up in the hills. Unless you get a job with SOU or the Shakespeare Festival(which even then don't pay all that great for the most part), it's tough place to be a young professional...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 01:55 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Ashland is run by Ashland Residents. Where they are from is not the issue. Basically is a filler word. This is the Bend Forum and what happens in Ashland is kind of irrelevant to Bend.

I do have to agree the liberal thinkers are what is hurting Bend. It used to be a pretty good place to live, but things are changing and not always for the good.

And as far as Californians go, a majority of Bends population are not from Bend either.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Ashland is run by Ashland Residents. Where they are from is not the issue. Basically is a filler word. This is the Bend Forum and what happens in Ashland is kind of irrelevant to Bend.
I was just responding to Kapetich's earlier post in relation to the thread. You don't need to tell us what's irrelevant to discuss...

Last edited by Deezus; 04-03-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post

I guess it could just be regional - it just irks me. /End rant.
And it just really irks the rest of us to have in-comers telling us we should be doing it just like where they came from because that is the only correct way. Nobody gives a flying fig how they did it where you moved from.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And it just really irks the rest of us to have in-comers telling us we should be doing it just like where they came from because that is the only correct way. Nobody gives a flying fig how they did it where you moved from.
Huh? How they did what? In-comers telling you what you should be doing? Wow...... It's a word with a definition. I'm sorry definining a word feels regionally opressive to you. Really wasn't trying to offend.

It's off topic anyway, sorry.

On topic:
Another reason not to move to Bend: It's drier than dry which effects the skin and eyes.

Last edited by kapetrich; 04-03-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo65 View Post
This thread is making me want to puke! The jobs thing is true (and why we had to leave), but I loved living in Bend and hope we will be able to come back soon. I never felt isolated (and I am a native east coaster, from just outside Washington, DC), and I made several good friends. Bad traffic, after some time in Bend, means that you sat through two cycles of a light.

I love Bend and miss it terribly!
So did you give up on returning? I see you tried to advertise the sale of your house on the forum. Please don't feel bad, it is happening to way too many Bend residents.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 PM

73 posts, read 229,358 times
No, we will be back someday, but not within the next few years- we are stuck back east for a while, though.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 PM

722 posts, read 1,352,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo65 View Post
No, we will be back someday, but not within the next few years- we are stuck back east for a while, though.

maybe we will get there at the same time? just don't apply for the same job. ha ha

just booked another week in Bend this July. bringing the older teenagers this time too..

maybe I'll find some more reasons not to like Bend for this thread while I am there....

Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM

775 posts, read 1,258,954 times
You will love it there in July. If youre there for the 4th there is a great 4th of July festival at Drake Park you will have to check out

Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
maybe we will get there at the same time? just don't apply for the same job. ha ha

just booked another week in Bend this July. bringing the older teenagers this time too..

maybe I'll find some more reasons not to like Bend for this thread while I am there....
July is an excellent time to visit Bend. It will be really difficult to find reasons to add to this list that time of year. Of course, you might add crowded trails and roads, but again, this is all relative. The teenagers will enjoy Bend too. Lots of free stuff to do in the summer here and you will feel safe allowing them to explore on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend