Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
9. Crowded Trails-It's all relative, but at times I find the crowds on popular hiking or other recreational trails to make me crazy. I also find the fees I have to pay to access said trails to anger me slightly.
As you said it is all relative, and the Sisters/Green Lakes area can be pretty crowded in the summer time. But on the other hand, it's still maybe less crowded at other areas around Bend than Mt. Hood or Columbia Gorge, to say nothing of the crowds around Mt Rainier or the Central Cascades.

Though on the other hand when I lived in Ashland I could pick a random trail 30 minutes outside of town in the Cascades or Siskiyous and only see a few other hikers or if I went further out I wouldn't see hardly anyone at all. Pretty nice mountain seclusion down there if you want to seek it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:12 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
As you said it is all relative, and the Sisters/Green Lakes area can be pretty crowded in the summer time. But on the other hand, it's still maybe less crowded at other areas around Bend than Mt. Hood or Columbia Gorge, to say nothing of the crowds around Mt Rainier or the Central Cascades.

Though on the other hand when I lived in Ashland I could pick a random trail 30 minutes outside of town in the Cascades or Siskiyous and only see a few other hikers or if I went further out I wouldn't see hardly anyone at all. Pretty nice mountain seclusion down there if you want to seek it out.
It's definitely relative. Even Green Lakes on a weekend isn't really crowded by my standards. I find myself slowly getting used to Bend standards when it comes to crowds, traffic, lines, etc.. It's pretty comical when I get upset over waiting 5 mins at the bottom of the Pine Martin lift or have to wait 7 cars at a 'busy' stop sign during 'rush hour.'

I went on a three night backpacking trip over Labor Day weekend last year - the most crowded day in the Sisters Wilderness, apparently. I starting at Green Lakes, went through the Three Sisters and ended up at the Belknap trailhead in Sisters. It was truly amazing how little people were out there on the 'biggest impact' weekend of the year.

Also, if the first few lakes are remotely crowded on Cascade Lakes Highway just drive 5-10 miles farther and get to a totally secluded lake. That, or hike in to a glacier lake (they're almost countless numbers of them). Normally the sheep go for the easiest thing in front of them and often times thats Todd Lake, Sparks Lake, Devils Lake and Elk Lake. Anything past these are almost desolate ANNNND most are pretty giant in comparison.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Exactly! While I do have my complaints about Bend, they really are minor (well, with the exception of the weather, but that's my own deal). I tried to come up with a list of 10 reasons, and I was reaching at times. I'm sure a list of 10 could also be created for Portland.
A list of ten reasons can be created for anyplace anywhere. There will always be pros and cons. The OP is just doing his due diligence regarding the negative aspects. That's a wise thing to do when considering relocation.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,934 times
I hate threads like this.

I've researched the West and PNW for THREE YEARS, and Bend is one of the most amazing places on Earth, IMO.

After 30+ years in Dallas, Texas, Boston, Vegas, and FL, I am moving to Bend next month and I CANNOT WAIT!! Trust me, you are missing nothing and gaining a great home with fantastic people and an amazingly beautiful setting.

Is your plan to stay wherever you move, even if you don't like it?

Just make the move. Move again if you don't like it.

THERE ARE NEGATIVE THREADS ABOUT EVERY CITY ON THE PLANET ON THIS SITE. LOOK FOR THE NEGATIVE AND YOU WILL FIND IT.

Look for the positive, and be open to happiness. You're in Analysis Paralysis. Pull the trigger.

Last edited by Pfhtex; 05-23-2012 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: updating.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM

10 posts, read 43,540 times
10 Reasons to NOT move to Bend (by someone who has, unfortunately and reluctantly, lived here for 25 years)

1. We do NOT have over 300 sunny days per year. This is a fallacy created by over zealous marketing campaigns designed to get people to move/vacation/retire here.
2. Winters are LOOOOONNNNNG and seem to be never ending.
3. Bend is NOT a liberal or even remotely open minded town, despite the "look" of people. Sadly, it is still a very closed minded, left leaning, rednecky, town.
4. There is very little culture here and certainly no college/university scene to speak of, although they are trying in that regard. In college, we lived for a time in another city, and it was great to have music, theater, art, culture, and more diversity.
5. Bend is NOT diverse at all. It is not culturally diverse. It is not religiously diverse. It is certainly not ethnically diverse. It is not politically diverse.
6. There is a true lack of job opportunities here. If you are lucky enough to win out a job out of hundreds of other over qualified applicants, and actually secure a job, expect to be paid at a minimum of 30-40% less than other parts of Oregon. Also, if you have children/teens, they will have an especially hard time finding work. Our son is still trying for 2 years to get his first job.
7. It is very, very dry. Some people like this, but beware that your eyes will burn, and your skin will crack and peel...especially in the summer.
8. If you have asthma, like I do, beware! There are forest fires BAD! Also, if you live south of town near Deschutes RIver Woods, be prepared for all the neighbors to sit outside every day and burn the 15 foot piles of wood debris and pine needles! You can't breathe. In the winter you get the blanket of smoke from the wood stoves that stays trapped in the air. Plan on being on steroid inhalers year round.
9. It is very remote. If you need a major medical center, or want to go to an actual mall, or major concert, etc., you will need to drive at least 2 1/2 hours to salem, or 3 hours to Portland. We do have a great venue here for conccerts, but unfortunately, the city has gone along with all the nitpicking residents, so now the concerts have to have a sound maximum and can't go past 10pm. therefore, a lot of really-truly great artists refuse to come here...and it's just getting worse.
10. The outdoor seasonal festivals (3 of which are so freaking cold that you can barely stand to go) are now at the Old Mill, and are charging to go to??? I don't understand that? What happened to the downtown venues that were free??

Now...I know you are all well aware, that I don't like bend...and i don't like that I have to live here at this time in my life, and that I will be moving just as soon as I get a chance. And please...people...don't bash on my list as I am just responding to someone who asked. But...i will throw out a few positives, as even though i don't like it here, there are some positives and some realities and some advice.

1. Bend is a fairly dog friendly town, in that there is a lot of people here with dogs.
2. Summers are nice..albeit hot and dry...but you do get about 3 months of nice weather here.
3. There are great places to go fishing and camping and hiking...just wish there was longer, nicer weather to enjoy it.
4. There are some really great schools in town. particularly on the westside for elementary; however, I do NOT recommend Summit High for high school.
5. There is a scene here of people wanting to make some changes, and there seem to be some up and coming more liberal thinking folks...which is a very good thing.
6. There are some very talented local musicians.
7. If you like beer, you will be in heaven.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:38 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,925,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A list of ten reasons can be created for anyplace anywhere. There will always be pros and cons. The OP is just doing his due diligence regarding the negative aspects. That's a wise thing to do when considering relocation.
agreed! wish i'd known about this forum years ago. would never have come to southern oregon.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 AM

8 posts, read 85,140 times
gojos123 thanks for your updated feedback and bringing this thread back on topic. After my last move I'm finding that knowing being realistic about both the upsides and downsides of a place in advance is a good thing.

My wife and I will be headed out to Bend during the first week of August. Any recommendations from anyone here on sights to see, beer to drink, trails to hike, etc would be appreciated. Thanks for all of your feedback!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 AM

62 posts, read 189,495 times
Default Bend

I considered bend however the city for whatever reason does not seem to want to grow and expand, and unemployment and Oregon state taxes are too high. the weather could be warmer and sunnier, so in terms of economic growth, perhaps reno, las vegas, salt lake city, durango, phoenix, and st. george utah are better . . .

but then again, places like tahoe and mammoth lakes aren't growing either (TRPA at Tahoe, an urban boundary in mammoth lakes), but you can commute to Reno for work or UNR from Tahoe . . .

other than that, bend is a very well planned town with great outdoor amenities, yet the state and city of bend are not as business friendly as they could be, so utah, arizona, new mexico, and nevada are better with less regulations, and nevada has no personal income tax ...

but I am not going to rain on anyone's parade who really loves bend and is reading this, it's a great town and i'm sure i'll enjoy visiting there again someday. hope they can build their university and expand OSU. for my needs i need the most business friendly climate in the US, but that isn't true for everyone reading this who wants to move to bend.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 PM

285 posts, read 540,532 times
We lived in Bend and Sisters for 13 years and moved away last year. Winters are terrible and long. Not really all that snowy, but icy and cold well into June. Gardening is often a lost cause for vegies.

We find Boise a much nicer area, better weather, larger town and more diverse in every way. Cheaper housing and cost of living. Extremely friendly people here.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 15,944 times
Weather and dry climate are the only thing I can complain about. The job industry isn't great but it's improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend