Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:58 PM

70 posts, read 158,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I believe that is a myth. If anything I'd guess Bend has the reverse problem with too many over qualified applicants for each entry level job that is available.
This is most definitely not a myth for highly skilled tech jobs. I worked at local software company where it took them a long, long time to find someone who was willing to move here, ignoring the fact that they couldn't find anybody locally first. It is a major problem for Bend's tech scene. I would say the majority of tech people that I know have moved out of Bend for other opportunities in either Portland, San Francisco, or Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 04:26 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,005,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nestvine View Post
I worked at local software company where it took them a long, long time to find someone who was willing to move here, ignoring the fact that they couldn't find anybody locally first.
How long ago was that and what type of software development?

Old 06-03-2014, 04:37 PM

It has been consistent over the four years I have lived here. This job was specifically Rails work.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:59 PM

OK, so you are talking about webdev. Even within that area of software dev Rails is fairly specialized and maybe not very interesting to many senior software engineers? I wonder if the difference is between junior and senior developers. It wouldn't surprise me to find that recruiting junior engineers to a small town like Bend is more challenging than recruiting senior guys.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 PM

431 posts, read 600,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
I believe that is a myth. If anything I'd guess Bend has the reverse problem with too many over qualified applicants for each entry level job that is available.
From my own experiences hiring, I've had no luck finding qualified people from the local workforce. I've always had to recruit from outside the area. Looking at the jobs postings from some of the larger employers in the area, I see vacancies posted last year still not filled.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 PM

431 posts, read 600,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nestvine View Post
This is most definitely not a myth for highly skilled tech jobs. I worked at local software company where it took them a long, long time to find someone who was willing to move here, ignoring the fact that they couldn't find anybody locally first.
To be fair, I've never had a problem finding people who are willing to move here.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
From my own experiences hiring, I've had no luck finding qualified people from the local workforce.
Industry and type of work?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 9,326 times
Default Bends educated work force

Educated and experienced are two different things. In my business experience is essential and I can't find anyone. When I post ads I get responses from great people that I just risk hiring.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:54 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
Where I work it's the same - we have very few qualified local candidates. It's kind of a vicious cycle. There are no other options in the area for people with those qualifications, so they move to Portland, Seattle, Boise, somewhere. We've had applicants that worked temp or part-time for us for a year, then left. When the position turned full time, they applied again. We just hired someone like that who's been living in Salem for a few years.

Unless you're retired, wealthy, or your spouse has work, if you don't have a job here you can't stay. Odds are if you're a professional, there are only a handful of openings in central oregon and if you don't get one of them, you're done here.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Where I work it's the same - we have very few qualified local candidates. It's kind of a vicious cycle. There are no other options in the area for people with those qualifications, so they move to Portland, Seattle, Boise, somewhere..
Exactly. This is why I am moving to Portland for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend