Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM

431 posts, read 600,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativekristy View Post
I appreciate Bend's driver friendliness, low density and clean air when I return from travels. One trip to a major metropolitan area (or a trip overseas) will make living in Bend a whole lot more positive.
I'm going to have to take issue with this one. I'm pretty well-traveled and I find the drivers around Bend to be the least aware and focused I've seen this side of New Delhi. They block entrances, cut corners at lights, have no clue how to use a roundabout (traffic circle), seem to do anything in their car except focus on driving, etc. I think drivers are actually better in high density areas because they need to co-operate more to keep things moving. In Bend, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:12 PM

150 posts, read 215,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
I'm going to have to take issue with this one. I'm pretty well-traveled and I find the drivers around Bend to be the least aware and focused I've seen this side of New Delhi. They block entrances, cut corners at lights, have no clue how to use a roundabout (traffic circle), seem to do anything in their car except focus on driving, etc. I think drivers are actually better in high density areas because they need to co-operate more to keep things moving. In Bend, not so much.
Ever been to Seattle? In my few experiences in Bend so far, the drivers are FAR more curteous, of both other drivers and especially pedestrians (my wife has almost been hit a couple times while walking by cars not paying attention). Most people here seem clueless when they are driving and the vast majority are on cell phones while doing so. The other drivers (and especially traffic) are two things I can't wait to get away from here when we move to Bend next spring. I'll have agree with creativekristy on this one.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,280,258 times
Quote:
I agree most drivers in high density areas are 'better' because they are conditioned to be decisive (takes away the guessing game), but I didn't take that as creativekristy point.

We get use to the traffic in Bend and when there is 'traffic' on the road or a 5 min line on the ski lift, we complain, but in reality and compared to higher populated areas it would not be considered 'traffic'.

"[Foooooooor Bend] there's traffic today...." type thing.

This all depends on what you're comparing it to. Comparing Bend traffic at 80k to Bend traffic 10 years ago when the town was 50k, of course there is an increase in cars on the road. It's just logic.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,354,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I agree most drivers in high density areas are 'better' because they are conditioned to be decisive (takes away the guessing game), but I didn't take that as creativekristy point.

We get use to the traffic in Bend and when there is 'traffic' on the road or a 5 min line on the ski lift, we complain, but in reality and compared to higher populated areas it would not be considered 'traffic'.

"[Foooooooor Bend] there's traffic today...." type thing.

This all depends on what you're comparing it to. Comparing Bend traffic at 80k to Bend traffic 10 years ago when the town was 50k, of course there is an increase in cars on the road. It's just logic.
These posts are so spot on about comparisons.

I was at my stepson's high school graduation today in Loudoun County VA. (first graduating class for John Champe Knights, the 13th high school in the county) The retiring school superintendent was one of the speakers. One line stuck out. "since I began working in this county there have been 50 new schools built and over 50,000 additional students Okay so that is just new students in Loudoun County, over 70,000 K-12 public school students here now, so approaching the population of Bend and probably is when adding the load of private schools here.

So yes compared to my area I don't think I will live long enough for Bend to have the kind of crowds, traffic and road issues I have experienced here over the past 15 years.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:52 AM

169 posts, read 237,931 times
How's this for comparison? I will NOT miss this when we've moved to Redmond...

About the only good thing about this kind of mess is it keeps the real morons from weaving lanes at 85 MPH...

Old 06-17-2014, 03:31 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darnselfly View Post

About the only good thing about this kind of mess is it keeps the real morons from weaving lanes at 85 MPH...
All those folks should bring a nice sized ice chest filled with drinks & water, & bring a good lunch along too......

Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 PM

150 posts, read 215,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darnselfly View Post

That's what my commute often looks like too, except here the skies are grey and the ground is wet most days.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:02 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,005,546 times
Quote:
They block entrances, cut corners at lights, have no clue how to use a roundabout (traffic circle), seem to do anything in their car except focus on driving, etc.
Funny and perhaps a bit too true especially with the roundabouts.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:09 AM

740 posts, read 1,251,332 times
Not to make this a "drivers here are so bad" thread, but last week I nearly got T-boned in Redmond by someone running a red light. Most drivers in Bend have been very courteous and will let you in from side streets. Conversely, I see many with the "I"m driving here" attitude who will pull out in front of you when you're doing 40. A certain percentage are idiots, so if you have more drivers, you have to put up with more idiots.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:00 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,280,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniferian View Post
... will pull out in front of you when you're doing 40.
This was the most alarming thing for me to get use to when I first moved here too, especially on Galveston and Newport. I've gotten totally use to it now, but it took a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend