Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 PM

8 posts, read 37,931 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would like to ultimately end up in Oregon or Washington. Bend is a possibility, based on what little we know of it, and we're going to be in Portland in late May. We're thinking about renting a car and driving to Bend to check out the area and get in some canoeing and hiking for a couple of days. I've read about the La Nina this year and don't know if our plans would be feasible that time of year. What say you, city-data folk? If weather would likely prove problematic for our stay there or even our drive there from Portland, what are some alternatives for outdoor activities within a few hours from Portland? We've hiked all over the trails at Multnomah Falls and would like to try something new. Maybe Silver Falls or hiking Cascade Head or...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 01:54 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,090 times
Getting to Bend won't be an issue at that time of year over the passes. It's pretty equidistant from PDX (allow 3-3.5 hours), regardless if you go via US26 or SR22/US20. As someone hailing from a vertically challenged state (Ohio), both are rather scenic drives, except for the stretch from PDX to OR22 on the latter route. Hopefully it won't be too cloudy & you can get the full view of the Sisters, Jeff, etc. Also, if McKenzie Pass should be open in late May (likely not), it's a pretty cool drive, IMO.

I've done Silver Falls and its Trail of Ten Falls (at least half of which are 100'+) a few times, and it is rather nice. It's somewhere around seven miles to hike the entire thing and none of it is particularly difficult. By late May, the falls might be starting to lighten up in volume, but should be more than full enough to really enjoy.

What about Mt. St. Helens? If you're into that kind of thing, the trails from Johnston Ridge are fairly interesting. The earliest I've hiked it in summer months is around late June, so I'm not sure exactly what to expect in late May.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:29 PM

478 posts, read 784,871 times
In Bend, when I lived there, May was mostly sunny with a few sprinkles and even a few flurries. Great weather mostly, but sometimes on the chilly side. I loved it. Elevation will make a lot of difference.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Well, late May, hmmm probably no flurries except in the higher elevations.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:16 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
La Nina still has us in its grip but should be fading away soon. By the end of May, days should be comfortable but nights will still be quite chilly. Many of the higher elevation areas for hiking don't open until June or July, but closer to Bend there is still plenty of hiking to do. One of the closest is the 4.7 mile trail in Shevlin Park (just 5 miles west from downtown). There is a 7.5 mile hike south of Bend that goes to Benham and Dillon Falls and for a nearly opposite experience scenery-wise, 16 miles east of Bend are the Badlands. North of Bend about 26 miles is well-known Smith Rock State Park. And if you want to stay in town, we have a number of trails for walking and strolling. Some places, like Benham Falls, you'll want to take mosquito protection just in case.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:12 PM

Bend sometimes has a 50 degree difference between high and low temps for a day/night. Thirty degrees is common for sure. Those who live in Bend think nothing of it, but people from most other places will find it surprising. I've had frost on my windshield in July. I've also seen 109 degrees in July and I was working on rooftops fixing air conditioning systems--that was fun ... not.

Speaking of mosquitoes, the most vicious ones I've come across anywhere in the world were near the Deschutes river south of Bend. I got bitten a lot through 2 layers of clothing. Usually they are no problem at all--but be prepared, in case.

Last edited by OregonYeti; 04-21-2011 at 06:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend