Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 09:42 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,353,457 times

Advertisements

You don't see much posted here on how long those love affairs last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,181,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You don't see much posted here on how long those love affairs last.
Isn't there a "Bend Sux" thread? I see a lot of threads on other boards where people rant about how awful a place is and why they're moving. In fact, many of the CD forums I visit are heavily weighted to that side because people tend to vent more when they have complaints that to post about the positive things, unless someone asks specific questions. Seattle? Weather, traffic. Bay Area? Taxes, high cost of living, traffic. Portland? Lack of jobs, weather. Salem? Boring, crime. Whether these issues are accurate, or even generally felt, they are what people tend to post about.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,697,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Isn't there a "Bend Sux" thread? I see a lot of threads on other boards where people rant about how awful a place is and why they're moving. In fact, many of the CD forums I visit are heavily weighted to that side because people tend to vent more when they have complaints that to post about the positive things, unless someone asks specific questions. Seattle? Weather, traffic. Bay Area? Taxes, high cost of living, traffic. Portland? Lack of jobs, weather. Salem? Boring, crime. Whether these issues are accurate, or even generally felt, they are what people tend to post about.
I absolutely agree with this! I will also say, that most of us originally came to city-data because we were looking to move, for whatever reason.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM

I don't think Bend Suxs. I do think it is over hyped. I like Bend, but for many of those coming from elsewhere it is no utopia.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 AM

722 posts, read 1,355,488 times
I suspect it is "over hyped" by some yet there are many who really love Bend, and for different reasons.

I haven't read anyone calling it a utopia. Where is that thread? Is there a utopia?

For many (myself included) it offers an improvement from where I/they live now.

I think it is a wonderful country we live in and I am blessed to have the option of moving to a place that offers more of the lifestyle I am seeking.

No doubt there will be disappointments moving to Bend (as any move) yet the population growth of the past decade makes it clear Bend offers many things people are seeking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I don't think Bend Suxs. I do think it is over hyped. I like Bend, but for many of those coming from elsewhere it is no utopia.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,697,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snownut View Post
I suspect it is "over hyped" by some yet there are many who really love Bend, and for different reasons.

I haven't read anyone calling it a utopia. Where is that thread? Is there a utopia?

For many (myself included) it offers an improvement from where I/they live now.

I think it is a wonderful country we live in and I am blessed to have the option of moving to a place that offers more of the lifestyle I am seeking.

No doubt there will be disappointments moving to Bend (as any move) yet the population growth of the past decade makes it clear Bend offers many things people are seeking.
Well stated Snownut. I have heard it called a utopia before, but usually that's a definition that most of us use when we first relocate to an area, and are still in the "honeymoon" phase our our move. For most, Bend is ideal, like you stated. It really offers most of what I want in a small city. Moving back to CO (eventually) for me is driven more by my desire to be closer to my family and more job opportunities. I also miss the Rocky Mountains!

Like you said, we are fortunate to live in a country where we can relocate to vastly different areas which suit our lifestyle, family, and/or career. Not many countries are as diverse as the United States in that regard.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM

It's that population growth that has harmed Bend.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM

32,674 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Back to housing: I was driving around Bend yesterday and could see lots of brand new houses under construction.

Lots if signs saying "houses starting at $200,000". The new houses all looked to be too big to be $200,000 houses, so the subdivisdion must include one 950 square ft house on the worst lot. Priced at $200,000 before you add any upgrades.

All of tract house construction appeared to be in subdivisions that were not completely built out before the crash.

There is also a bit of custom contruction of very nice houses in areas that are going to end up really expensive (like Woodriver Village), but none of those go up for sale. They appear to be all owner occupied construction.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:22 PM

With the market in Bend where it is, those big houses were most likely the ones going for under $200,000.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM

456 posts, read 1,008,607 times
I love living in Bend, but if I was stuck in a 9 - 5 type inside job it probably would be less appealing. I live right on the edge of town to the West making almost instant access to the unspoiled forest and trails. Also fortunate to be able to get away for a couple months to warmer climates in the winter each year. House is paid off and I can "work" anywhere I have an internet connection. I have lived in many other states/places and so far I like it here best for my physically active life style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend