Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 10:25 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,946 times

Advertisements

On what are you all basing the "reasonable cost of living" description? I keep hearing how expensive Bend is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 10:40 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
On what are you all basing the "reasonable cost of living" description? I keep hearing how expensive Bend is.
Did I say reasonable cost of living? No. For once, just stop looking for an argument, shut your yap and read the page in front of you! Geez! I SAID COMPARABLE COST OF LIVING!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:43 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Quote:
Others have mentioned like-towns to Bend in this thread to be Santa Fe, Durango (there are more, these are just the ones mentioned here). Compared to those like-towns Bend is EXCEEDINGLY affordable.

Please read peoples posts next time

---

This should be a sticky:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
For once, just stop looking for an argument

Old 10-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I SAID COMPARABLE COST OF LIVING!
I sure did misread your post. Sorry about that.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Others have mentioned like-towns to Bend in this thread to be Santa Fe, Durango (there are more, these are just the ones mentioned here). Compared to those like-towns Bend is EXCEEDINGLY affordable.
I think this is exactly correct. BendLocal keeps telling posters to compare to similar areas, yet when we do, we are thrown another diversion.

As I know I've stated before, for us the cost of living in Bend is also a plus. Compared with similar sized cities, with a similar community feel, we live much better here than we would in those locales. We have looked at Boulder, Ft. Collins and Durango, CO but my husband would take a huge pay cut (one equivalent to a full-time minimum wage salary). We have also considered Santa Fe and Taos, NM, but again, the pay is a lot less, the unemployment is as high or higher, the crime is higher, and the cost of buying a home is also much higher.

Now, if I were to compare Bend, OR to somewhere in KS, NE, or even western PA where my husband is from, then the cost of living is much higher here. But, I am not even considering those towns, nor are they comparable. Again, it's all relative.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
BendLocal keeps telling posters to compare to similar areas, yet when we do, we are thrown another diversion.
I have not seen a comparison to any other towns. Post some data if you have it.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
I have not seen a comparison to any other towns. Post some data if you have it.
Did you not read what I wrote? Is that not a comparison? I've posted on here numerous comparisons before. Some of them may no longer be here because we had a moderator that didn't want us to compare to other places. You seem capable of using the search function though, so you can find them if they are still there.

Quote:

As I know I've stated before, for us the cost of living in Bend is also a plus. Compared with similar sized cities, with a similar community feel, we live much better here than we would in those locales. We have looked at Boulder, Ft. Collins and Durango, CO but my husband would take a huge pay cut (one equivalent to a full-time minimum wage salary). We have also considered Santa Fe and Taos, NM, but again, the pay is a lot less, the unemployment is as high or higher, the crime is higher, and the cost of buying a home is also much higher.

Now, if I were to compare Bend, OR to somewhere in KS, NE, or even western PA where my husband is from, then the cost of living is much higher here. But, I am not even considering those towns, nor are they comparable. Again, it's all relative.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:36 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,252,446 times
I visited Bend this summer for the 1st time. Unfortunately the weather was hot the days I was there. Bend has a unique feel to it. For one, enjoying the outdoors and its parks is great. Traffic? Not bad! It also has a nice quaint downtown with a variety of eateries.

Due to what appears to be a lack of jobs, as well as the long cold winters, I don't think living in Bend is for me. However, I like the people, the parks, the hiking trails, and the laid back lifestyle. I do plan on returning in the summer, preferably early summer, and enjoying Bend. I usually fly to Seattle in the summer, so it is just a matter of making that drive.

I truly enjoy visiting Wa and Oregon in the summer.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Did you not read what I wrote? Is that not a comparison?
Superficial comparison. Real data would be more useful.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Quote:
Superficial comparison. Real data would be more useful.
Again, are you serious? Many posters have mentioned the cost of living in comparison to many towns. Just because they didn't post data, doesn't make their statements any less true (Delta actually did. She explained her husbands pay cut if they picked up and moved to another Bend-like town). If you find their claims to be untrue, the onus is on YOU to present data to refute their claims.

Just in terms of median home price using a site you often reference: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Bend, OR - 204k

The most reasonable comparable city to Bend, IMhO: Santa Fe, NM - 322k (would love other like sized, none college town-ed 'mountain towns', not associated with another metro to compare. If anyone has any, please send them my way).

(Some like-comparisons. By no means all)

West Coast:
Chico, CA (college town) - 210k
Truckee, CA (16k residence) - 356k
Redding, CA (couldn't pay me to live here) - 165k
Bellingham, WA (sure...) - 244k

Intermountain West:
Bozeman, MT (college town) - 227k
Missoula, MT (college town) - 144k
Jackson, WY (10k residence) - 722k
Prescott, AZ (40k residence) - 207k
Flagstaff, AZ (semi-college town) - 227k
Boulder, CO (college town) - 411k
Ft. Collins, CO (college town)- 229k
Durango, CO (17k residence) - 275k
Taos, NM (6k residence) - 255k

East Coast:
Burlington, VT (college town) - 255k
Asheville, NC - 170k

This isn't even mentioning the HARDCORE ski/mountain towns that Bend is often compared to. Ones with home prices OUT OF THIS WORLD. Only city/towns that are heavily touted as 'mountain towns' but have, at least some, economy outside of that mantra. Jackson/Truckee are pushing it.

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2013 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend