Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
It will be interesting to what happens as more BB "retire". Sobering statistics show 60% of them have less than $25K saved.
Now that is scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:17 AM

740 posts, read 1,250,702 times
When I moved from Aurora (Denver suburbs) to Conifer (foothills), property with a view of snow peaks and/or city lights was very desirable and my lot had neither. When I left 34 years later, Denver had spread so far to the south that there was now a view of city lights. I read that a retired couple needs savings of at least $250K just to cover their medical expenses after Medicare. Maybe baby boomers trying to live on $1,200 a month social security will form Senior Communes, garden and raise chickens. Nah.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:15 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Are the houses on the westside between Galveston and Newport not on small lots?.........

...........it isn't changing density at all. Just changing the footprint on that lot....
You piqued my curiosity, so I had to go and take a look.

I owned a house in Old Town, built in 1924. The lot it is located on is .17 acre, which I consider to be a small lot. If my math is correct (no guarantees), houses on .17 acre means 5.8 houses per acre. The new density of .11 per house means 9 houses per acre. That's a big difference.

Note, I am pretty sure that house of mine was originally on a septic and the new small lots are all on city sewer. A big difference, that.

The people who bought that house from me added on until it is a huge house with a mother-in-law over the garage. The lot is pretty well covered. Setbacks have been changed over the years and it is possible to build much closer to property lines. I checked when I bought that and it would not have been possible to add much to it without going up, because of the lot line setbacks. Nothing like it ended up, with darn near the whole lot covered.

Many of the people who have gone into Old Town and removed mill shacks and replaced them with huge houses have also added mother-in-law units, which is allowed in that area. That does increase the density because all of those mother-in-laws appear to be (illegally) rented out.

Veering slightly off topic, once upon a time, those mill shacks on Old Town were selling for $25,000-$30,000 and they would rent out for about $125 a month.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:03 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Thanks for doing the leg work!

I took this shot last week with 'snapchat' (uhg, I know!) for a few of my friends to show them what has been going on... Sorry, I really and truly didn't intend to post it here, but I think it illiterates well what you're describing (small(er) older lots, ~.17, with small footprint being torn down and replaced with a bigger footprint-ed house):

~1145 NW Columbia, between Newport and Galveston

This build is now complete and is on the next block North of above:

Last edited by kapetrich; 03-29-2014 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 06:05 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Yes, I live not too far from a build like that. They look so ridiculous. With the high fence around it, it reminds me a little of the Osama bin Laden compound.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:07 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I just received a notice that 4 lots in Woodriver Village have sold. ($690,000). Those are most likely 1/4 acre lots.

I don't see anything on-line about lot line adjustments or building permits, but my bet is that those lots will have the old tin mobile homes taken off and they will have row houses/ condos built on them, similar to the condos across the street.

So, an estimate: Some one bought 4 old houses and can now replace them with 9 row houses ( .11 acre building sites). That area is zoned for row houses, with a varience and I know the city has already given a varience to build row houses on a couple of different properties in that area, so the permits aren't going to be difficult.

If any of those lots were bigger than 1/4 acre, that means more row houses can be built there.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:59 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,003,374 times
Bend UGB plan community meetings scheduled

Quote:
The city of Bend encourages residents to attend one of two upcoming community meetings to learn more about and comment on the City’s Urban Growth Boundary (UGB) Remand project.
Quote:
The UGB is a line on the City’s General Plan map that identifies Bend’s urban land. This land represents an estimated 20-year supply of land for employment, housing and other urban uses.

The community has an opportunity to help shape the plan for future growth that reflects the community’s values and meets state planning requirements.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,678 times
Hopefully wild fire will be taken into consideration when expanding the UGB. Good news is Bend's West side for the most part is bumping up against the Deschutes National forest. So I expect most UGB expansion will be North and East. Of course now there is much more pressure to look for infill.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
There are also Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meetings taking place next Monday and Tuesday. To my knowledge, they are open to the public.

Here is a link to each meetings documents: City of Bend : Document Central (This is dense material)

These meetings will take place ~ once a month for the next 4 months with each meetings having a specific scope, focus and recommendation votes by TAC members.

There are three TACs: Residential, Employment and Boundary/Growth Scenarios.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
It would be very short sighted because boomers are downsizing.

Baby Boomers’ Second Act - New York Times
The statistics do not bare the same conclusion, even during the 'Great Recession' years.

Source: http://www.fanniemae.com/resources/f...hts-061214.pdf

I truly hope the shift talked about in this NYTs article and Snownuts perspective comes true post 2012. It is almost certain it has to as the boomer generation ages becoming less and less self reliant, due to age constraints, forcing them into higher density living. Along with economic and housing preference changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend