Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativekristy View Post
I've done some extensive research over the last couple days and it looks like Bend has a lot more rules about maximum home sizes, but not minimums, which bodes well! Thanks whirnot, I will try that. One thing I love about Oregon is that real people answer the phones at each department/office, even at the DMV. It's wonderful!
I have found the folks at Deschutes County to be some of the best I have dealt with, an I have built all over the country. In person the whole office is just extremely nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,329,443 times
Tiny Houses are legal, but I can't seem to find the ordinance right now. Tiny Houses are not Park Models.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:11 AM

1,261 posts, read 693,122 times
I was just about to check into the same thing!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:52 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure there is a minimum required square footage for a primary home that hooks up to municipal (and some none-municipal) utilities. Any dwelling after the primary on the same property is different. To my understanding, this is why people pay to live in their tiny house on someone else's property and/or live on their own land "illegally", or at least, not up to code. This should change as downsizing becomes even more trendy.

While I think it's funny to even say, I think most tiny house people would believe a 500 sq. ft. home to be less 'tiny house' and more minimal and/or small. That said, to me, "it" really depends on the ratio of people to the sq. ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I have found the folks at Deschutes County to be some of the best I have dealt with, an I have built all over the country. In person the whole office is just extremely nice.
I deal with the City of Bend often and have the same experience. They're much more busy now then they were 2 years ago, but they are still very helpful. I'm surprised every time I pick up the phone, write them an email or stop by.

Last edited by kapetrich; 09-17-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure there is a minimum required square footage for a primary home that hooks up to municipal (and some none-municipal) utilities. Any dwelling after the primary on the same property is different. To my understanding, this is why people pay to live in their tiny house on someone else's property and/or live on their own land "illegally", or at least, not up to code. This should change as downsizing becomes even more trendy.

While I think it's funny to even say, I think most tiny house people would believe a 500 sq. ft. home to be less 'tiny house' and more minimal and/or small. That said, to me, "it" really depends on the ratio of people to the sq. ft.

I deal with the City of Bend often and have the same experience. They're much more busy now then they were 2 years ago, but they are still very helpful. I'm surprised every time I pick up the phone, write them an email or stop by.
downsizing might become more trendy, but it doesnt mean the govt will let people do it.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:22 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rock View Post
downsizing might become more trendy, but it doesnt mean the govt will let people do it.
THE government of Portland was 'lobbied' and made a new code, of sorts, for a Tiny House Hotel in Portland: Caravan - The Tiny House Hotel in Portland OR

It's possible, just difficult, but if theres a will....

(Hey, we're from the same state!)

Old 09-18-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
THE government of Portland was 'lobbied' and made a new code, of sorts, for a Tiny House Hotel in Portland: Caravan - The Tiny House Hotel in Portland OR

It's possible, just difficult, but if theres a will....

(Hey, we're from the same state!)
Some of these people plop down these tiny houses in remote areas. I would think Bend has some of those kinds of sites, off the beaten path, but not too far from town. When I get out there later this year I intend to look around. For me, its either there or some of the Oregon beach towns like Bandon, Astoria, Depoe Bay or Cannon Beach. Any suggestions....feel free.

Personally, I would need to live in a place bigger than 200 sf. But the movement is about leaving a smaller footprint, getting rid of your unnessary possessions, etc. I'm into it, just a big adjustment....

Old 12-23-2014, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,438 times
creativekristy- did you ever find an answer with your research? My wife and I are contemplating buying land in bend and placing a tiny/small house on the lot. Any information on minimum size would help. thanks.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:29 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,558,027 times
Ask the planning department.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 PM

57 posts, read 128,605 times
tidwe255 - anything on a trailer seems to be no problem. However, if it's a permanent house, even if it's tiny, it needs to be approved for any services you're hooking it up to, like sewer, water, utilities, etc. But Deschutes County is really flexible with trailers as they're considered RVs. You can pretty much buy property anywhere and live on it...but you'll need to be ready to show it is moveable if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend