Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 17,429 times

Advertisements

kani-lehua, at your lot's elevation you can most likely have peek-a-boo ocean and clear mountain views with a two story-especially if you put a 2-sided deck on. I know it's more expensive to permit, but you could always put your catchment, parking and lanai under...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,545 times
Default Ohia Estates Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_n_la View Post
Volcano is very "up and coming". Hilo and Kea'au are expensive and the resale value in Mt. View isn't realy great, unless you build. The Puna area is saturated with 3/2's and there's no infastructure for the influx brought in by the last boom, but Volcano is still basicly untouched and secluded enough to bring in even local buyers. Let me know if I can help with anything else-I even know a few cheap FSBO properties in Mt. View and Volcano.

Aloha joe_n_la --

I am looking for land in Ohia Estates and/or Mauna Loa Estates -- you mentioned you may know of some FSBO's. Please advise. Let me know how to email you directly.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,545 times
Default Ohia Estates Land

Aloha Joe_n_la --

You mentioned in an old blog (in 6/2007) that you may know of some FSBO's who may want to sell their land in either Mauna Loa or Ohia Estates. I am looking for land there. How do I PM you?

Aloha no . . . VolcanoJo

Old 04-05-2008, 04:30 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
Hi Volcanojo,

Noticed your question about PM...just click on the users name in blue at the top left corner of their post...if they have the function as an option, click on "send a direct message"...

Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 AM

5 posts, read 22,967 times
Sorry, no oceanview from Mauna Loa Estates. I have a 3 story home and am nowhere near the top of the ohias. Try Royal Hawaiian or Ohia Estates where the lava flow is more recent and trees much shorter.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:06 AM

29 posts, read 131,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
my lot up at mauna loa estates (volcano) was purchased in october for 54k. 20000sqft. don't plan on selling it, but building on it within the next several years.
Charming Mauna Loa Estates, Quiet location, this area is an artist's delight .
It costs more than 54,000 now .

Old 08-28-2008, 02:30 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
I have been working up in this area recently, both Ohia Estates and Mauna Loa Estates.

A quick check of the MLS shows 24 active listings for Mauna Loa Estates lots, ranging in price from $44,500 to $87,000.

There have been four sales in the subdivison this year, according to the MLS:

$29,000 -- 20,000 sq ft.
$36,000 -- 20,000 sq ft.
$41,000 -- 20,000 sq ft.
$65,100 -- 23,549 sq ft. (bordering large acerage)

Ohia Estates lots are smaller, with front lots and flag lots. I have a few listings there right now. One is an example of a case where you could pick up a 9,100 sq ft front lot plus a 15,000+ sq ft back flag lot--both together possibly for near what you would pay for one lot in Mauna Loa Estates. (Two separate TMKs means you can build two separate houses.) Mauna Loa estates lots are large rectangles with direct access from the street (no flag lots). Which one suits you will depend on what you want to do with the property! Both are lush, beautiful and generally very peaceful.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:26 PM

68 posts, read 245,239 times
Aloha! How about the Hamakua area between Hilo and Honokaa? Looikng for maybe an acre to put up a small house and some fruit trees...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 PM

96 posts, read 619,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika52 View Post
Aloha! How about the Hamakua area between Hilo and Honokaa? Looikng for maybe an acre to put up a small house and some fruit trees...
there actually aren't a whole lot of vacant lots being offered. there are a few but you'd want to investigate the area and make sure you have power/water etc. to the lot. many dont as some are in more remote areas. or there are some lots that have dense brush still on so you'd have to invest to clear it before building. i think the cheapest was $94,000 just north of hilo. though it is covered with brush and im not sure if there is power to the lot i don't think there is. expect to spend more than $175,000 at least for a decent vacant lot that is close to half an acre. more likely more thank $200,000 for close to an acre, though most lots offered right now are much smaller, around 10,000sqft and are close to $175,000

Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 4,480 times
Does anybody have good lines on financing? Because we have chosen Hilo sie, Mountain View/Volcano area, everything is on catchment water and VA, FHA, & USDA have all stated it is not their policy to finanve these properties. Due to the termm "non-potable" being used at some point. It is TOTALLY pootatable with proper UV filtering, but they don't care. We are 2 veterans trying to get home and even VU Hawaii has thrown up their hands! Suggestions? Mahalo in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island