Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I am sure I will get flamed for this, but why do people insist on bringing dogs to Hawaii that are not generally healthy in the higher temperatures?
Well, I have boxers and the airlines won't ship them between certain dates. It's not a question of "healthy in higher temperatures" because most of the US is hotter than Hawaii in the summer. It's a question of airline policy.

Not bringing them is NOT an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,602,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
@ mdand3boys: it's not the hot weather, it's the possibility of the animal dying of dehydration or being subject to no air flow and no water for hours on end in the belly of a grounded airplane.

I did call Alaska, and BOY I'm glad I did! This time I called the Portland Office:

"Oh, we aren't sending animals cargo to Kona until maybe August or September." Aha! Good to know! I won't be bringing my furbaby until December, so it works out for me. Sooner than that, and man, I'd just go with Honolulu to Kona- the transfer is so chill and the flight is really quick The only problem I see is maybe them not letting you fly out if it's in the heat of the day?

And as for many pet owners, our pets ARE our kids. I'm not into kids, but I'm into pets---to each his own!
Hey, good to know, thanks. I'm looking at a mid-September or later move, so Alaska *may* be an option at that point. Thanks for the update.

I have no kids of my own, and I spend pretty much 24/7 with my dogs. I'm rather fond of them and I believe the reverse is also true. I know I'm erring on the side of caution, but it's a one-time inconvenience (putting them on a nonstop) that will give their owner some peace of mind.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 PM

129 posts, read 535,598 times
It's harrowing enough sending/flying with/shipping pets without all of the special conditions it takes to get them to/from Hawai'i. I know at least a half-dozen people that have been compensated by airlines that mistreat/damage their pets! I'd rather not be stressed out for 8 straight hours not knowing

Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
Did you go? I have to go in January with one big guy...how did you do it?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:08 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
Ceage, the OP hasn't logged into the forum in more than a year. Where are you flying from? Are you flying to Kona?

Finally, I heartily suggest that you start your own thread so that you get replies specific to your situation. Who does and does not take dogs seems to change from time to time.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Also, do a Search on the Hawai'i Forum on Quarantine and on Dog to pull up much newer threads that you will find informative. You need to start your rabies quarantine countdown nearly 5 months before your planned travel date or it won't matter which airline you choose, the dog will have to go to Honolulu to complete the quarantine:

For starters:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...t-release.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...rt-please.html

Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
it won't matter which airline you choose, the dog will have to go to Honolulu to complete the quarantine:
No, they won't, they can serve quarantine on Big Island.

Unless Ceage started the titer routine already, the dogs will definitely have to suffer quarantine. Ceage, I still encourage you start your own thread but still...if you have not begun titers, I encourage you to push your move date back a bit. I just went through all of this and moved to BI with two dogs, so feel free to ask me for advice about titers and avoiding quarantine.

Again, we don't know where you are coming "from" for nonstop, but a friend just used United to fly her dogs, in cargo, to Kona nonstop. She was very impressed by how they handled the dogs, climate control in the compartment, etc.

I have "purse dogs", so they came on board with us as carry-on on Alaskan. We met the pre-arranged, pre-paid, state licensed vet at Kona airport and after a VERY (VERY!) thorough physical exam, we were on our way.

Animal Quarantine Frequently Asked Questions

Can my pet be quarantined on Kauai, Maui or the Big Island?

Ahh, now I see that pets suffering quarantine MUST arrive in Oahu, but will be transferred in a couple of days. Since we had prepaid for direct release, I hadn't needed to know that fact. Still, at least they will serve their time between bars on BI where you can visit them daily. In addition to the satellite facilities, there are vets all over the island who can take your dogs in boarding for quarantine.

Still, best to complete titers where you are before moving and avoid it if at all possible. I stayed behind for a few months after spouse came to HI, just to avoid having my li'l nippers serve quarantine.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 10-21-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 07:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
No, they won't, they can serve quarantine on Big Island.
Oh, that's an upgrade since I was... ummm... younger than I am now.

I stand corrected, by the best!

HiloDiver has been through it the most recently, and is very knowledgeable, which is why the first link I posted is to her recent thread on the subject.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Thank y'all.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 880 times
Too bad your dog isn't a service animal. I think there are different rules on this and it may be that the animal can ride in the cabin with you. I'm not absolutely sure on this, but it's something I'm checking in to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island