Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times

Advertisements

Be aware that some airlines allow people to travel with self-declared "psychological support" dogs in the cabin, but Hawai'i Rabies Quarantine will still treat them as pets, not as ADA Service dogs, without full documentation.

Here's a link to the State's info on bringing genuine Guide Dogs and Service Dogs in.

Note the language about the requirement that they be trained by a licensed trainer to perform specific tasks to assist a person with a disability. Also note that documentation must be carried regarding their rabies vaccinations and test, treatment with fipronil for fleas and ticks, ID microchipping, etc., and to avoid delays copies should be sent in advance.

These are just a few points of note:

Quote:
* The dog must have a standard health certificate issued not more than 30 days prior to arrival in Hawaii, attesting that the dog was treated within 14 days of arrival with a product containing Fipronil or an equivalent long-acting product labeled to kill ticks. A valid health certificate is required for each entry into Hawaii.

*The task(s) the animal has been trained to perform should be disclosed.

*The service dog must be traveling with the disabled user on arrival in Hawaii.

Animal Industry Division | Guide & Service Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 07:34 PM

98 posts, read 543,869 times
I have a flight booked through Alaska SEA --> OGG with a 45 lb labradoodle. I hope the rep didn't give me bogus information.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruprick View Post
I have a flight booked through Alaska SEA --> OGG with a 45 lb labradoodle. I hope the rep didn't give me bogus information.
Keep in mind that the airline rules are not related to Hawai'i state government concerns. Alaska Air is very lenient about allowing small pets to ride in the cabin, while the State of Hawaii is very hard-nosed about rabies quarantine requirements once you arrive. Even if you have a bona fide guide dog, under ADA regulations, it still must meet strict standards, including impeccable documentation of its vaccination and rabies test status.

Don't try to game the system. Alaska currently allows small pets in the cabin upon payment of a $100 fee, IF they will fit in a carrier under your seat. Think 15# max. I sincerely doubt a 45# dog could do that. You might fly with your pet in the cabin, by claiming it is a "service animal," only to see it taken from you and locked up in the quarantine pens at Honolulu airport for up to 4 months if its vaccination paperwork is not 100% up to snuff. Before that you could see your pet denied boarding at the departure gate due to its size, and that would likely ruin your whole day, sorry.

If your dog is a genuine service animal, under federal ADA guidelines, no worries. But if not?...

Old 03-12-2014, 06:02 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Be aware that some airlines allow people to travel with self-declared "psychological support" dogs in the cabin, but Hawai'i Rabies Quarantine will still treat them as pets, not as ADA Service dogs, without full documentation.
:
I come to Honolulu several times a year with a dog. I don't travel with an emotional support animal but it is my understanding that all airlines require medical documentation prior to departure and that it must be updated annually.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:10 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,289 times
Quote:
:
I come to Honolulu several times a year with a dog. I don't travel with an emotional support animal but it is my understanding that all airlines require medical documentation prior to departure and that it must be updated annually.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM

98 posts, read 543,869 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that the airline rules are not related to Hawai'i state government concerns. Alaska Air is very lenient about allowing small pets to ride in the cabin, while the State of Hawaii is very hard-nosed about rabies quarantine requirements once you arrive. Even if you have a bona fide guide dog, under ADA regulations, it still must meet strict standards, including impeccable documentation of its vaccination and rabies test status.

Don't try to game the system. Alaska currently allows small pets in the cabin upon payment of a $100 fee, IF they will fit in a carrier under your seat. Think 15# max. I sincerely doubt a 45# dog could do that. You might fly with your pet in the cabin, by claiming it is a "service animal," only to see it taken from you and locked up in the quarantine pens at Honolulu airport for up to 4 months if its vaccination paperwork is not 100% up to snuff. Before that you could see your pet denied boarding at the departure gate due to its size, and that would likely ruin your whole day, sorry.

If your dog is a genuine service animal, under federal ADA guidelines, no worries. But if not?...
No it won't be in the cabin---it's booked in cargo area. We started the direct release (or was it 5-day or less) paperwork months ago for our upcoming move in June.

Looks like we need to make a few phone calls to make sure everything is in order.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,334 times
Airlines are really stupid, aren't they? We have a cat and are used to getting conflicting information on carrier sizes, fees, etc. I once tried to buy a seat on the plane for the cat....no go. Wouldn't that be the easiest and less stressful solution? Charge the animal (only small ones, OK?) full fare, and let them sit in their carrier next to their companion for the flight. Simple, the airlines make more money, the pet and companion are happy, etc. It will never happen. As for people objecting to an animal in the cabin, the pets couldn't be any worse than some of the people Ive gotten stuck next to on a plane :{

I hate flying these days and have passed up several opportunities to fly w/ my wife to visit her sons on the B.I. because if I can't get somewhere on a ship, a bus, or a train, I ain't going. I probably could have taken a cruise ship, but the cat can't. Of course.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times
What about folks that are allergic to dogs and cats? Do you want them to have an attack because you want to bring a pet with you?

Old 03-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
What about folks that are allergic to dogs and cats? Do you want them to have an attack because you want to bring a pet with you?
I'm afraid that argument is dead in the water, so to speak. Pet cats and dogs are both accepted in the cabins of several airlines, as long as they meet certain criteria, such as fitting in underseat carriers. Or in the case of bona fide service dogs, such as guide dogs for the blind, of being able to occupy the leg room space of the passenger without being a safety hazard to others. Depending on the aircraft, I believe Alaska Air allows up to three small dogs or cats per flight.

If you happen to have an allergy, as I do, you can certainly ask the flight attendant to either reseat you or the passenger with the pet.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Generally, they won't move the person with the pet - the airline will attempt to reseat you as far from the pet as possible, which can be a bummer if you get a middle seat and you originally had an aisle - they can rebook you on another flight, or if pushed - you can usually get a refund even on a non-refundable ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island