Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM

19 posts, read 45,490 times

Advertisements

We are over on Oahu for two weeks, just busting it up a little for the last few days. We were going to stay at the Hilton on Waikiki but we've done that so many times, and we always end up in the country anyway.

We would have stayed up on the Northshore at a VBO but we couldn't get a booking. We just stay at Makaha Resort and have the entire freaking joint to ourselves. That place is so under rated it's not funny. I love it there. Then we just jump in the car and start driving early.

Maui is very scenic, haven't done Kauai yet. For my memory, it took some work to get to the scenic of Maui if you want drama like the volcano, and it was very misty while we were there, it wasn't that clear brilliant stun you stupid sort of sunshine you get in Oahu. I don't remember the water colors being as vivid as Oahu either. That coastal drive in Oahu is just unspeakable up the East side..ya, you really could drive right off the road because it's so amazing. People do that ya know..lol..plink, right into the ocean you go!

Maui had much more of a undeveloped feel to it than compared to Oahu, it feels more like a rain forest than Oahu does. I don't recall my interactions with the folks on Maui being quite the same as Oahu either.

Oahu has that dog and pony show polite for the tourists, but the locals, man are they amazing or what? The culture there is just beyond anything I've ever seen or felt. It takes a bit of getting used to, and then I was embarrassed at my Mainland behavior - they are very gentle teachers the locals. It is heaven in a hand basket for sure.

I'm hoping that we can find genuine local food places there (on the Big Island) with plate lunch. Any ideas?

It sounds like a single day for the volcanoes might be in order, is there a driving company / tour thing there? I'd be good with that, those mountains and slopes ... if they are anything like Maui...ain't nothing to screw with, that's for real, and no one is going come save ya.. lol...

I would imagine the culture/mindset is similar to Oahu, is there any differences between the two for local outlook? I made many a faux paus my first trip, and I laugh at myself now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:21 PM

312 posts, read 1,375,065 times
having lived there and knowing how much there is to do, it's hard to decide, but if you only have 3 days, here is how i would spend them:

Day 1: Do a Fairwind Sailboat morning tour for Kealakekua Bay for snorkel and awesomeness. The rest of the day could be devoted a stop by the Place of Refuge and a great beach on your way back up the coast-Makalawena is my favorite, but there are many, many many.

Day 2: Volcanoes. You'll get great views and a nice tour of the island on your way there and back. While there, there is so much to do within the park-take your pick of what suits you best. Eat in Hilo somewhere delicious and take Saddle Rd to the Mauna Kea visitor information station for sunset and a Free amazing Astronomy Tour and use of cool telescopes.

Day 3: Do Pololu Valley, Eat in Hawi, go through Waimea and over to the Hilo side for waterfalls like Akaka and visit the Waipio Valley lookout.

I like to pack my days full from early morning to night, esspecially with such a short time on the island. This way you get a little something on every side of the island and a little taste of all the scenery, culture.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:49 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,306,760 times
Wow! That's quite a list for days 2 and 3...I'm not sure I could keep up!

Unless you can keep a truly high-energy pace from sunrise to sunset, I don't recommend doing the drive from the Kohala coast to Volcanoes National Park in one day...that's a lot of car time, especially driving back at night.

I do recommend taking a day to drive up to Hawi and then up to Waimea after. Lunch in Hawi and then dinner at Merrimans? Or, go to Hawi for a late breakfast (check out Bamboo) and a bit of browsing in the shops there, then head up to Kahua Ranch or some other Kohala Mountain Road property for horseback riding. Or, there are ATV and ziplines too.

If you make it to Waimea before 2:00 pm and you're looking for local food options, try Hawaiian Style Cafe on Kawaihae Road. Check the Yelp reviews. It's a bit of a local "dive" but I eat there at least twice a month. Kalua pork hash with fried rice and an egg over-easy....yum!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,719,456 times
we are doing 3 days in BI too! I wish we had more time but trying to coordinate travel with family from a different state was hard. Boo Hoo!
Still, 3 days is better then NO days!
We are going to see Volcanoes!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,186,051 times
Wow to do Big Island in 3 days... I like Galactasticia ideas but I would be beyond exhausted. I argee with first day.. close by. Try a snorkel by Outrigger hotel - or at easiest said Captian Cook bay- Kealakekua bay for a quick tour - head south to Punalu'u the black sand beach to check out and see more turtles with Place of Refuge inbetween. That really would be a day for me.

Day two go to Valcanoe - if you can make it but it will be a long long day - check out the lava at night but you again have to drive back to Kona..

You can go over Saddle to save time if you want to see Hilo area with waterfalls jungle area etc.

But unless you want to drive drive drive you might just look at staying where you are at with a side trip on the west side attractions. It is a waste not to see entire island but so is a vacation your completely exhausted from. I would go with a helicopter flight to see the island and the valcanoe if you don't have much time or a young hiker. Good luck

Old 11-10-2010, 11:30 AM

312 posts, read 1,375,065 times
I know my day recommedations are packed-i squeeze as much as i possibly can out of my vacations, etc haha. i know it! but really, with three days on the big island, i would be all moving and seeing everything i could. i don't mind the drives because i'm glued to the window and it's a tour in itself. i know not everyone shares this fast paced enthusiasm, but it's better to pack it full and let them pick and choose than to start off with a bare bones itenirary!

Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 AM

8 posts, read 23,555 times
You asked about traffic jams at the airport, are you speaking of Kailua-Kona or Hilo? ... I did not see any around Kailoa-Kona when I spent a couple of weeks there this past July. I never ran into a traffic issue anywhere, except the one day a tanker turned over and they had to shut down part of the road so I missed my helicopter ride

I second someone's suggestion to see Waipio Valley. The view is amazing, especially on a clear day when you can see Maui across the ocean. I also enjoyed a short hike (down a gravel driveway of sorts) to the "End of the World" cliffs where people are jumping off. It's very fun to sit on the rocks out there and watch all the action. Great view too.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:17 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_spirit_31 View Post
I second someone's suggestion to see Waipio Valley. The view is amazing, especially on a clear day when you can see Maui across the ocean. I also enjoyed a short hike (down a gravel driveway of sorts) to the "End of the World" cliffs where people are jumping off. It's very fun to sit on the rocks out there and watch all the action. Great view too.
I would agree if they were taking a 10 day trip. But with just 3 days, I don't think I'd spend one full day on Waipio Valley. You don't want to drive down yourself, for sure. So you've got to find a tour group, which means probably a whole day affair. I'd say go with some of the other suggestions here, and see Waipio on the next visit, maybe.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM

8 posts, read 23,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
I would agree if they were taking a 10 day trip. But with just 3 days, I don't think I'd spend one full day on Waipio Valley. You don't want to drive down yourself, for sure. So you've got to find a tour group, which means probably a whole day affair. I'd say go with some of the other suggestions here, and see Waipio on the next visit, maybe.
We can agree to disagree! If it were my trip, Waipio would be a priority. I didn't mean spend a day there. Driving just to the vista point is an amazing experience in itself. You don't have to take a group tour or drive down into the valley to make the trip worth it, for me it was the view from the top. Also, I did many other things on the day I visited Waipio, it's not ridiculously out of the way from other things that the family may do. Also, my drive to and from Waipio was amazing. Right along the ocean and the water was unforgettable.

We're all throwing out suggestions, I will look forward to hearing what they do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island