Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
So that proves Democrats = poor education?

Where did the money go? Tax breaks for wealthy and businesses. That is where the backlash should be. The current animosity against public employees and teachers is ridiculous. They didn't cause the budget crises in the various states. Why are they being blamed? Because politicians are cutting taxes during a recession and scapegoating public employees for their failures as leaders.
Where are these tax breaks for the wealthy and businesses in Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Where are these tax breaks for the wealthy and businesses in Hawaii?
Ask your representatives why there is a shortfall.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:13 PM

Hawaii isn't exactly known for giving tax breaks to businesses. It is known for extensive and expensive permitting, fees, regulations though.
Do you understand the GET and the wholesale tax? They are cumulative taxes.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Hawaii isn't exactly known for giving tax breaks to businesses. It is known for extensive and expensive permitting, fees, regulations though.
Do you understand the GET and the wholesale tax? They are cumulative taxes.
I understand there is a shortfall and the people who are in charge didn't budget for it.

Everyone believes they are overtaxed. In a shortfall situation, there are two choices, actually three: Cut Spending, Raise Taxes, or a Combo Platter.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM

Yes, but the new governor has just proposed spending $400+ million more and adding another 275 additional government employees. That doesn't add up.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the new governor has just proposed spending $400+ million more and adding another 275 additional government employees. That doesn't add up.
Yes, that is out of whack. Why hire more people when services are being cut?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM

12 posts, read 43,370 times
Default Burglary or Home Invasion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'd say neither. You simply experienced a binary phenomenon. You've either been robbed or not. Sorry to say, recently your status was changed from "no" to "yes." So for you it's a 100% occurrence.

But on average, people are safer in Hawai'i than they are in Texas. The crime RATE is lower. And in Texas, you are more likely to have been shot in the process of the robbery.

Sorry for your loss.
Thanks for your response, OpenD. I'll have to do further research to know for certain, but I was under the impression that if the perpetrator enters a home and steals things while no one is home at the time, it's classified as a "burglary." But if he/she does so while the occupant is present, a more aggressive act of theft that poses a threat to human life, it's a "home invasion." I'll have to consult with my attorney or one of my police officer friends for clarification.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainakeeper View Post
Thanks for your response, OpenD. I'll have to do further research to know for certain, but I was under the impression that if the perpetrator enters a home and steals things while no one is home at the time, it's classified as a "burglary." But if he/she does so while the occupant is present, a more aggressive act of theft that poses a threat to human life, it's a "home invasion." I'll have to consult with my attorney or one of my police officer friends for clarification.
Wait, you're confused about what I meant. The point I was making was that either you've been robbed (burglary or home invasion or theft or whatever you call it) or you haven't. It's binary... yes or no... on or off... black or white.

And with it, your perception of crime changes... you've either been robbed, or you haven't. If you haven't been robbed, it's theoretical. If you have been robbed, it's real. I was robbed 40 years ago, several times. I haven't been robbed for the many years in between. If I go by my own experience crime has gotten much, much better.

See what I mean?

What matters to a society is rate of crime. The rate of crime in Hawai'i is low by comparison to rate of crime in other states, and it has gone down overall, even if your personal experience is that you've been robbed recently.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:24 AM

11 posts, read 52,217 times
AlohaHuey,

You will like and agree with this I think--please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 AM

11 posts, read 52,217 times
AlohaHuey,

Duh, here it is:

I Support the Government Workers in Wisconsin and Here is Why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island