Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:47 AM

11 posts, read 52,314 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Looked into Oahu and Kauai in the past and decided not to. Still interested in moving someday to Hawaii. Focusing more on the Big Island now. How much crime/drugs use is there? How are the schools? Do you know a good website that gives a breakdown with answers of factors of living on the big lsland. I am in my early 40s, could work at one of the airports earning a modest income and, have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM

55 posts, read 186,018 times
You are going to find "ice" all over the island. Its sad, but its the truth. Schools such as Hawaii Prepatory Academy in Waimea, would be where you should look to send your kids. Its a very quality environment,the academics are as good as any of the best schools in all of Hawaii, and the rural campus is one of the most beautiful in all of Hawaii. The catch? Its around $15,000 a year to attend, so I'm assuming with two kids, tht isn't going to be an option. If you HAVE to be on the Big Island, and you have kids, I would make it a top priority on sending my kids their or Parker School. If you can't afford either of these(as about 95% of the normal people) I would look into grants, financial aid, whatever it took to get them there.
As far as crime goes, some areas, are more suspetible than others, but no place on the Big Island is going to be like Oakland or Compton in California(whichis a VERY GOOD thing).

http://www.hpa.edu- My first choice(This and Punahou on Oahu, are the best institutions for higher learning in all of Hawai'i).

http://www.parkerschool.net- My second choice

Old 12-16-2010, 11:13 AM

160 posts, read 486,453 times
Waimea would be a long way from a major airport.
My kids go to Volcano Charter school and love it. If you lived in Volcano or close it would be about an hour trip to work. Not sure on the schools on Kona side but I'm sure someone will chime in. My bosses kids go to an excellent school in Hilo, but it's a parochial school. Kinda funny since they are actually Buddhist. Very pricey though.
Just steer away from public school systems. Think everyone here on the east side of the island would pretty much agree on that!
Honestly there are drugs everywhere. In my personal experience I have found that marijuana use is just widely accepted here. But my kids do learn about it's effects etc and, woo lucky for me, some of my neighbors have proved the point, lol. (Mommy why did he ask you that question 3 times, he smells like that stuff, rofl) On the other hand, since this place has had such a problem with other drugs, my kids know way more about meth than I ever wanted to and think it is disgusting. Their school also teaches them about pharm parties and such which I have since learned is a worse problem than any other drug. Mainland kids were raiding their parents meds and mixing them up in a bowl and taking a handful each? My younger sister confirmed this was going on constantly at her school. Never heard of it happening here but there is education about it at least!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM

^ it would be, but do you have to work at an airport? If so, I would probably look more towards the Hilo area. Its more cost effective than Kona, is less densely populated, and has a real "old soul" charm about it. Your kids are young, which is very good. I agree with the above poster, that you might want to look at parachocial schools as well. DO NOT SEND your kids to a public schools. Schools in Hawaii(not the quality private ones) tend to be around 2 grade levels under the mainland.Still, whever you go on the island, you won't find a Phillips Exeter Academy or Deerfield Academy like in New Hampshire, but that's just the way it is. With that, Hawaii Prep and Punahou are VERY close to being with some great quality private schools on the mainland. I like HPU because it seems very academically rigourous compared to most schools, and their summer program offers a plethora of different courses that really help to aid life long learning and growth.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,705,723 times
Until you know which airport you'll be at, and when you will be working, finding a place first may not be the best way to go. If you live near KOA and work at ITO, you'll be frazzel with the commute. same thing if you move nearer ITO and have to work at KOA.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfDad View Post
You are going to find "ice" all over the island. Its sad, but its the truth. Schools such as Hawaii Prepatory Academy in Waimea, would be where you should look to send your kids. Its a very quality environment,the academics are as good as any of the best schools in all of Hawaii, and the rural campus is one of the most beautiful in all of Hawaii. The catch? Its around $15,000 a year to attend, so I'm assuming with two kids, tht isn't going to be an option. If you HAVE to be on the Big Island, and you have kids, I would make it a top priority on sending my kids their or Parker School. If you can't afford either of these(as about 95% of the normal people) I would look into grants, financial aid, whatever it took to get them there.
As far as crime goes, some areas, are more suspetible than others, but no place on the Big Island is going to be like Oakland or Compton in California(whichis a VERY GOOD thing).

http://www.hpa.edu- My first choice(This and Punahou on Oahu, are the best institutions for higher learning in all of Hawai'i).

http://www.parkerschool.net- My second choice

Too bad about so much drugs. I've had that told to me per other Hawaiin islands too. Doesn't sound like crime is a big deal which is a little surprising per all the drug use. Why are the public schools so bad? I've also had that reported to me per other islands. Someone told me public school on Kauai are like third world.

I thought of the big island as more stable since it is the biggest. I thought maybe with all the older folks and retirees it might bte the best place for someone with a family like me. I cannot afford the private school stuff you mention.

Thanks much!

Old 12-17-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Waimea would be a long way from a major airport.
My kids go to Volcano Charter school and love it. If you lived in Volcano or close it would be about an hour trip to work. Not sure on the schools on Kona side but I'm sure someone will chime in. My bosses kids go to an excellent school in Hilo, but it's a parochial school. Kinda funny since they are actually Buddhist. Very pricey though.
Just steer away from public school systems. Think everyone here on the east side of the island would pretty much agree on that!
Honestly there are drugs everywhere. In my personal experience I have found that marijuana use is just widely accepted here. But my kids do learn about it's effects etc and, woo lucky for me, some of my neighbors have proved the point, lol. (Mommy why did he ask you that question 3 times, he smells like that stuff, rofl) On the other hand, since this place has had such a problem with other drugs, my kids know way more about meth than I ever wanted to and think it is disgusting. Their school also teaches them about pharm parties and such which I have since learned is a worse problem than any other drug. Mainland kids were raiding their parents meds and mixing them up in a bowl and taking a handful each? My younger sister confirmed this was going on constantly at her school. Never heard of it happening here but there is education about it at least!

from what I have learned and am learning drug problems and poor public schools are a problem throughout Hawaii....I wonder why?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 AM

why is the public school system so bad in your opinion? Thank you!

Old 12-17-2010, 05:57 AM

5 posts, read 16,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkss View Post
why is the public school system so bad in your opinion? Thank you!
The answer depends on what you are actually trying to ask. Do you mean: by what criteria is the public school system considered bad? The criteria of rating the schools "bad" is the LOW TEST SCORES of the students, statewide.

Or, perhaps you are asking: what is the cause of the public school system being so bad? It is partially due to the entire state being under just one school system (the Department of Education). It is partially due to the School Board being elected, with no direct accountability to the executive branch (which has just been voted upon, and will soon change to being appointed). It is partially due to the legislature not caring enough about the students, case in point that this year Hawaii shortened the public school year to the lowest in the nation as a way of balancing the budget.

Many families do a combo of private and public schools. Some years or grades they will do private, and some grades they will do public. It often depends on which public school the child is going to have to attend that year. There is a wide difference between the level of education offered at the various public schools on the Big Island!! Some are acceptible, some are terrible. And, within a few years of time, the school can change from good to bad, or from bad to better. It is hard work to be a parent of school children here, you have to keep on top of it and budget for the possibility of some years of private school tuition.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM

Kauai being like a third world country in terms of education is actually worse. I went to Costa Rica recently, and their students(locals are called "Ticos" were incredibly complient, little to no behavior problems, and were extremly literant(95% of the country). Also, get this. They actually LOVE americans. Their private schools there, I thought were just as good, and far less expensive than Hawaiis. Kauai and much of Hawaii is worse than many third world countries as far as education is concerend. Unless of course, you have $15,000 a year a to shell out. Then you will get great quality that is comparable to the mainland. As I have said to many people time and time again. If you are a warm person, nice,have more money than you know what do do with, and have no kids, you can pretty much live out your life in complete paradise here in Hawaii. If money is an issue, you are going to be stressed with the high costs. If you have kids attend public schools, they will undoubtedly encounter racism. When people come to visit they visit the tourist places of Kona, Wailea, Kaanapali, Honolulu, and they think that life is heaven.They are only seeing the icing on the cake, and not what's essentially inside. However, if you are unrestricted with finances, you can live along the Kohala Coast or in Wailea in a nice guard gated community, and you can isolate yourself from many of Hawaiis problems. However, most people don't have this luxury to live in the tourist areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island