Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 AM

49 posts, read 216,522 times

Advertisements

Hi All

If you're reading this from Hawaii right now, be thankful you're not in Anchorage, AK - the temp is currently -13 at my house and it could get down to -25 tonight! eek! oh well.

Back to my question...

I have read a LOT on this forum and notice that many people refer the public schools as being "less-than-ideal." What exactly is meant by this?

So many factors can influence a school... What makes things "bad" for public schools in HI? Is it the quality of teachers, the class sizes, the funding... all of the above?

Your opinions are much appreicated!

On a slight side note: I am an elementary teacher and I am a mother with school-age children. My husband and I are slightly considering a move to the Big Island. I researched the "Teach in Hawaii" website and can see that many areas of HI need teachers. I'd like to think that I could postively influence children (and a school community in general), but I truly get mixed opinions about schools & teaching in HI.

Thanks again for your time!

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:43 PM

17 posts, read 130,853 times
Default Why are things like they are?

Culture.

It's complex. To graduate from High School here in Hawaii is a big big deal. The celebrations put the mainland to shame. There are public schools that rank high here, they are just few and far between. The towns where Asian Americans (Japan/Korea) etc are the majority - have higher marks as more of these kids are preparing for college. Other cultures do not put as much emphasis on academia. So, the Hawaiian schools can not keep up with the test scores of the National Average. There are many private schools but they are expensive.

Actually, when we moved here from Maryland in 2002 my kids had to get on the stick to catch up with the other kids as the system where we live has some pretty high standards - mainly for the fundamentals Math English etc. No slacking !

Cheers
Out

Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
Hi All
<SNIP>
I have read a LOT on this forum and notice that many people refer the public schools as being "less-than-ideal." What exactly is meant by this?

So many factors can influence a school... What makes things "bad" for public schools in HI? Is it the quality of teachers, the class sizes, the funding... all of the above?
<SNIP>
Let's see, that would be answer "D" - "all of the above".

Teachers hired from the mainland have to hire in at the beginning levels so the experienced teachers take a pay cut to move here. See Hawaii Public Schools for details.

The class sizes vary from school to school. The schools in more populated areas can have some pretty big classes. Not all administration helps the teachers with classroom discipline, so that can be a problem, too.

All public schools are funded at the state level and the per-pupil level is pretty low. Frequently the schools lack basic supplies so the teachers have to go out to the public to beg for things such as paper and pencils to supplement what is provided from the school's funding. Fortunately there is generally community support for most of the schools. The private schools will frequently hand down their classroom books and such when they get upgrades so a teacher can score all sort of stuff for her classroom by asking the private school teachers. Not exactly an optimum way to run a school system but that's what frequently happens around here.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 PM

37 posts, read 185,804 times
I have some experience here to the OP's question. I moved to the Big Island in July from the Pacific Northwest to teach in Hawaii. I did not opt to work for the DOE, even though I was offered a special education position in Laupahoehoe.

I took a Literacy Education position with Kamehameha Schools (private non profit). My division is a community outreach program which puts KS teachers in DOE classrooms as a partnership in educating K-3 students who normally wouldn't have access to their campus programs. We have four school sites on the East side of the Big Island where this program operates. We have approximately 15 staff members at the four schools. We are well funded, have plenty of books, paper, and supplies.

My suggestions would be to look at charter schools (which still have some of the funding challenges, however smaller class sizes), and private schools. As is everywhere, public schools are getting their budget's slashed more and more every year. Here, they are talking about closing schools, consolidating, and making class sizes LARGER! There are already 25 students in Kindergarden classes with no aide! It's shameful what is happening to our education system. I digress . . .

If you'd like more of my individual experiences, feel free to PM me. Best of luck in your decision.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:47 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,323,603 times
Be sure to research the cost-of-living with respect to your probable salary. Many teachers in Kona (on the Big Island) have a difficult time finding affordable housing in Kona.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:43 PM

145 posts, read 492,166 times
If you can afford it, live along the Kohala Coast, and send your kids to Hawaii Prepatory Academy. IMHO Hawaii Prep has the most beautiful campus in all of Hawaii, has an excellent program for arts, and has top notch educators. Sure, Hawaii Prep might not be as stellar academically as say Deerfield, Andover or Phillips Exeter on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island