Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I think Hawaii is not a good choice if ....
Hawaii is a wonderful place to raise a family. It offers a unique culture, the beauty of nature, and a lifestyle to fit just about anyone since we have many very diverse communities.

Some secrets to it being "wonderful" are to plan ahead, make wise choices based upon your individual circumstances, and learn from the experiences of others.

When less-than-enthusiastic responses are posted here on C-D about someone moving, it is often due to there being a feeling about a lack of preparation on the intended-mover's part. Having pre-planned on employment, public and/or private schools, a social support network, savings, etc. are all important considerations. When you have those things lined up, a move here goes much smoother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM

113 posts, read 396,610 times
The doom and gloomers here should love this. This has crime written all over it.

Island of Lies - YouTube

Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 PM

61 posts, read 192,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Hawaii is a wonderful place to raise a family. It offers a unique culture, the beauty of nature, and a lifestyle to fit just about anyone since we have many very diverse communities.

Some secrets to it being "wonderful" are to plan ahead, make wise choices based upon your individual circumstances, and learn from the experiences of others.
Wonderfully said!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM

24 posts, read 46,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Waimea would be a long way from a major airport.
My kids go to Volcano Charter school and love it. If you lived in Volcano or close it would be about an hour trip to work...
Just steer away from public school systems. Think everyone here on the east side of the island would pretty much agree on that!
I actually disagree with your public school comment on the East side of the Big Island because my daughter has been in Mountain View Elementary since the 3rd grade (she's now in 5th grade) and the educators are consistently motivating the children to do their best. My daughter has been in the GT (Gifted and Talented) program all three years and it has helped stimulate her thinking and problem-solving skills tremendously. She had the opportunity to attend the Na Wai Ola (Waters of Life) Public Charter School for 4th grade but we declined the offer because Mountain View Elementary School Teachers already do an amazing job educating their students. I was also warned by associates numerous times not to allow my teenage son to attend Kea'au Intermediate and High School because the "the kids were bad and the teachers [supposedly] didn't care." Contrary to opinion, my son excelled in education and sports at both schools. Parent involvement has a lot to do with how well children will do in any school, be it public, charter, religious, or private school. The Waikea area on the Hilo side of the Big Island also has great public schools for elementary to high school students, I wouldn't knock them off your list before trying them

Old 03-10-2013, 03:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Plenty of public schools on the big island have excellent teachers and high achieving students. I also know many people who consider HPA to be a breeding ground for sex and drugs (from their own experiences and the experiences of their children).

Hawai'i has a much higher "cut score" for the state testing (the score at which students are considered "proficient") than many, many other states, leading there to be lower test scores as it is much harder to meet the mark. That is not to say that the actual school system is without problems- in my experience, it's inefficient and poorly managed. I feel strongly that students' achievement has much to do with teachers, but even more to do with families and where priorities lie.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrispy View Post
Hawai'i has a much higher "cut score" for the state testing (the score at which students are considered "proficient") than many, many other states, leading there to be lower test scores as it is much harder to meet the mark.
GKrispy could you please provide some links to that information? I'd be interested in reading more.

For the benefit of future readers of this thread, HPA enjoys a great reputation for offering progressive education. But it is like any other school in the entire nation, there will be problems. How any school handles their problems is what a parent needs to research before they enroll their child.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:20 AM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
Problems in Hawai'is public schools are becoming evident at the end of middle school. Then in high school the drugs, sex & violence get out of bounds from the get go. The fish stinks from the head, as the principals are mostly useless political or union stand ins.

Best bet for high school on the Big Island is the online branch of Myron B Thompson academy in Oahu (charter school but state funded and free). For sports & social activities the students can still go to their local school. Exams are done there as well, but the rest of the interactive education is in front of a computer at home. Better grades, less commuting time, no drama or violence. Worked like a charm for our kids.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 AM

597 posts, read 1,442,667 times
Default With all due respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
So Democrats = poor education? That's laughable, considering the machete Republicans take to any education budget.

Your reasoning is faulty on several levels.
I have one word to say CHICAGO.....go ahead and defend that hot mess.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:26 PM

AlohaHuey has not signed on for two years, so probably will not be responding.

[C-D HINT: if you click on a poster's name, you can go to their profile and see when they last signed on.]

Old 05-27-2013, 05:02 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsisRockks View Post
I actually disagree with your public school comment on the East side of the Big Island because my daughter has been in Mountain View Elementary since the 3rd grade (she's now in 5th grade) and the educators are consistently motivating the children to do their best. My daughter has been in the GT (Gifted and Talented) program all three years and it has helped stimulate her thinking and problem-solving skills tremendously. She had the opportunity to attend the Na Wai Ola (Waters of Life) Public Charter School for 4th grade but we declined the offer because Mountain View Elementary School Teachers already do an amazing job educating their students. I was also warned by associates numerous times not to allow my teenage son to attend Kea'au Intermediate and High School because the "the kids were bad and the teachers [supposedly] didn't care." Contrary to opinion, my son excelled in education and sports at both schools. Parent involvement has a lot to do with how well children will do in any school, be it public, charter, religious, or private school. The Waikea area on the Hilo side of the Big Island also has great public schools for elementary to high school students, I wouldn't knock them off your list before trying them
Wait until your talented/gifted student gets to high school. My daughter had already taken calculus but the Hawaii public schools wanted to put her into remedial math. She can teach that course. (Literally, she is in a program where she teaches other students). It took some strong advocates (her parents) but the school finally realized that just because you are a sophomore doesn't mean you need to be held back. They reluctantly agreed to put her in all the advanced/senior classes and after continuing her 4.0 they are graduating her a year early. Then again, there really isn't anything left for her to take and the university has a ridiculous rule that only allows high school students to take one class at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island