Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times

Advertisements

And when going to the observatory "Beware of Invisible Cows". There's a sign warning you of them and everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
And when going to the observatory "Beware of Invisible Cows". There's a sign warning you of them and everything.
Hey, I think that belongs on my "... that make visitors go "Wha?" thread.

Oh, wait, that just reminded me of one...

Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
It is more than just having 4wd. You a vehicle with a transfer case that has a low range option. You don't need 4wd for the trip UP - you need a low range transfer case. The main issue is in the descent so you don't fry your brakes and speed up rapidly and drive over the cliff. You put the vehicle in low range and shift the trans (even an auto trans) into the lowest gear you have.

Many of the little SUV's do not have a low range transfer case and should not be taken up there.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 AM

46 posts, read 110,880 times
I loved Mauna Kea when I was there! It really put life into perspective for me, just a bit more. Unfortunately I was not prepared for it. I didn't even think to pack a decent sweater since I was going to Hawaii so all I had on was a t-shirt and a thin long-sleeve. The temp dropped from 72 to 32. Our driver (the farm host I was staying with) drove straight up without stopping. There is a place to stop and acclimate to the altitude but he told us that in all the years he's gone up he's only stopped twice.

Prepare for that trip! And take care of yourself. The air is thin up there so people tend to get lightheaded. I know I did, and I sat down for a little while while gazing towards Haleakala.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAMIs View Post
Our driver (the farm host I was staying with) drove straight up without stopping. There is a place to stop and acclimate to the altitude but he told us that in all the years he's gone up he's only stopped twice.
They should have warning signs that say "Beware of Kama'aina!"

Geez, the standard recommendation is that you stop at the visitor's center for at least 30 minutes to acclimatize yourself to the thinner air before pushing on up to the top. People do get altitude sickness. The top is 1,000' higher than Berthoud Pass in Colorado, and it is higher than most unpressurized private planes fly.

Please do take the recommendations seriously. It should be fun, not an ordeal.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM

20 posts, read 58,909 times
Is it possible to snowboard at the summit? I have heard its possible, but I dont know the details. Im from Wisconsin, so playing in the snow is like second nature.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscHaole View Post
Is it possible to snowboard at the summit? I have heard its possible, but I dont know the details. Im from Wisconsin, so playing in the snow is like second nature.
Here's a pretty good answer to your question: Big Island Hawaii Skiing

In brief, yes, but there are no lifts, no amenities. It's 4WD skiing in the wilderness.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM

20 posts, read 58,909 times
Thanks Open

Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscHaole View Post
Thanks Open
My alias is OpenD, one of my favorite tunings for playing slack-key guitar.

You are very welcome. I could not, would not have made it here on the Big island without a lot of help from others, and I like to pay it forward.

OpenD

Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 PM

46 posts, read 110,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
My alias is OpenD, one of my favorite tunings for playing slack-key guitar.
That's awesome! I gotta try some slack-key myself soon.

My farm host was a crazy guy, a bit. LOL! He did tell us that when it snowed people would sled or ski down the hill and then drive/walk back up to meet their friends. That's pretty awesome. There were a lot of people up there when I went. A few tours, a few hikers hiking on the trails, and there is usually a man up there walking around with some oxygen for anyone who's feeling light headed. Just don't fart up there... LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island