Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:41 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times

Advertisements

What town on the Big Island is most easily accessible to snow during the winter months? I am assuming it is going to be in a higher elevation, probably in the interior? The town itself doesn't have to get snow (although that would be cool!) just near enough to snow to get to it easily and quickly. Or is this too much to ask?

I've never been to the Big Island, so not sure how easily accessible the summits of the two tallest mountains are, whether it be winter or summer!

Just curious is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 12:07 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,556 times
If you're looking for snow Hawaii is the wrong place.

Granted we have it on the BI at times but most go for the sun, weather, water, etc.

PS: There is no town close to the snow to my knowlwdge.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
You can drive to the summit of Mauna Kea if you have a true 4WD and are very experienced, or you can take a summit tour. Anyone can get as far as the visitor's center at 9000' elevation in any vehicle. About 1 to 1.5 hours from Kailua Kona. I guess Waimea would be the closest town.

Getting to the summit of Mauna Loa is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,674 times
Waikii Ranch is probably the subdivision closest to access to the summit, if you want to think of it that way!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:52 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Why would you want this? So you can go every day and build a tiny tiny tiny snowman??

Old 02-07-2011, 04:13 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,824,413 times
I was just curious is all. I'm not looking into moving to Hawaii, but I know people who are. Personally I find the Hawaiian climate boring. 70s and 80s are fine and dandy in the summer, but I'd rather have cold and snow in the winter. My top two relocation places are Eastern Washington and Alaska.

However I have heard of people snowboarding in Hawaii. I knew it was fact that it snowed on the summits of the Big Island, but I always wondered if they seriously got enough for snowboarding and the likes, and if they did, how easy they were to get to, etc. Just as I was also curious what the nearest town was, and if any town was even located high enough up to see snowflakes itself.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Snow is an novelty in the Islands. Pickup trucks loaded with the stuff and racing to the beach before it melts is the contest.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
No snow in towns on the Big Island. Waimea or Hilo would be the ones easiest to get to the snow on Mauna Kea since they are at either end of the Saddle Road which accesses the observatory road. There isn't snow as often on Mauna Loa so most folks to go Mauna Kea for snow. There isn't any infrastructure for skiing or snowboarding. Folks drive up in a 4WD truck and then someone drives the truck from the bottom of the snowy hillside back to the top for the ski lift. My DH has skiied Mauna Kea and he says it is "crunchy" and "like skiing a sidewalk" if that helps any.

We have loads of different climate on this island. If you want cool winters, live in Volcano or Waimea. Hot and dry, choose Kailua in the Kona District. Warm and dry, choose Kapoho or Kawaihae. Warm and wet, choose Hilo. If you want it really hot with rivers of lava, choose Kalapana. Still, we don't have anything to match Alaska for cold and snow.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:49 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,268 times
Yes, there is enough snow to ski and snowboard at times and it isn't uncommon at all. No, there is no infrastructure for it, it's a do-it-yourself situation. Yes, you'll need a 4WD to get there. Waimea and North Hilo are closest; as someone said the closer you stay to Saddle Road the closer you'll be to the snow, since it only snows on the mountains and only 1 is accessable and Saddle Road is the ONLY way to get there.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
Maybe the town of Volcano? It does not take more then 2hours or so to get there from Hilo or Kona really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island