Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 AM

575 posts, read 1,202,193 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the wonderful info. We're growing more excited each day as our travel gets closer. Glad to hear the market in Naalehu is a good one. We'll be staying nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
JoDan, I live near Naalehu. If you have any specific questions about the area, feel free to send me a private message.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
D o H, here's another one for your list... a friend just sent this to me, I haven't been yet. It's on Highway 11 in Puna, halfway between Hilo and Volcano...

SATURDAYS, 8 AM - NOON, HILO COFFEE MILL FARMER'S MARKET AT THE 13-MI MARKER OF HWY 11 (VOLCANO HWY) IN MOUNTAIN VIEW. A small market with BIG Aloha and great farm-fresh breakfasts. Check their website to see their vendors and specials: Hilo Coffee Mill - Paradise in your cup!

Old 03-08-2011, 09:47 PM

206 posts, read 467,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yeah, and I'd say if you've only seen the Hilo Market (which seems to have at least some stalls open every day now) you find unexpected treats at some of the smaller markets. Fresh local rambutans and raw cocoa nibs, for instance. Macadamia nuts from the growers. Fresh nutmegs! (You have to ripen them and dry them before grinding) Pastries with passionfruit icing. Wildharvested poha berries. "Perfume flowers" to dry and place in clothes drawers to make them smell nice. Pink lemons! Orange limes! Asian fruits and veggies you never saw before... or even suspected!

Another thing i like about the local markets is that over time you get to know the vendors and learn which ones are for real, and which ones are shucking and jiving... like the vendor who claims his mangos are local, when you can see the shipping cartons under his table that prove they're from Costa Rica.
It is good to know who is an actual vegetable farmer, who harvested the bananas you're buying as opposed to just reselling items which, yes, might not even be from the islands. The farmers have better more interesting products, care about their food more, and I've found that when you revisit weekly, you get to know them and they give you special discounts sometimes.

I'm sure it is also a must to be sure of where the baked goods are coming from.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:00 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
The Hilo Coffee mill farmer's market is pretty adamant about the items being locally produced.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,451,148 times
So with the big island beening a bigger island of the chain do they have a larger meet up with all the vendor's on the island get togerther do a market set up ..

Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
So with the big island beening a bigger island of the chain do they have a larger meet up with all the vendor's on the island get togerther do a market set up ..
No, it's a big enough island that most vendors tend to stay in their own district. With a 2 - 2 1/2 hour transit time, for the most part Puna side doesn't go to Kona, and vice versa, although there is obviously some swapping going on. For instance, two guys that locally grow and sell fresh herbs (yeah, right) like basil, mint, cilantro here in my nabe also sell tomatoes from Waimea. Suits me fine. They go well together.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,451,148 times
Thank's for the info there

Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Yup, gas is so expensive and places are so far apart that we don't get to the other side of the island very often at all. Haven't been to Southpoint yet this year. Got as far as Volcano, that's within fifty miles of it, though. Some years we won't make it all the way around the island at all. So farmers who are trying to sell things at a profit don't have enough production to support driving a farm truck several hundred miles away to get the produce to market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island