Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM

23 posts, read 93,665 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I am moving to Oahu in a month and found a place to stay in Makiki by Piikoi and Wilder. The apt doesn't have parking so I am trying to find out how bad street parking is. I don't mind walking a few blocks, but just want to make sure I can find a spot when I come home after work (4'ish/5). Also is there alternate site parking for street cleaning in Oahu? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM

61 posts, read 247,492 times
Makiki is kinda sketchy sometimes....your car may be prone to break-ins when you do street parking but it really depends where. youll most likely be able to find street parking though.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:56 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
DONT plan on street parking. They clear the streets at night and there are many tow companies who pick up cars outside the restricted times. Its a scam thats been going on in Honolulu for years.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 AM

117 posts, read 545,232 times
bad, there is no parking

Old 04-27-2011, 02:56 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
If there are parking lots near by in other complexes, you might be able to rent one from an owner.

I would ask the property mgmt company what your options are.

I live in Makiki, but up the hill from your spot. If a place doesn't have parking, I don't look further. The hassles associated seem like too much of a temptation for old murphy...and he is NOT kind here. Best of luck.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 AM

Jolliefille, can you speak more about this scam? Are there street signs that tell you about restricted times you can't park? In nyc we have alternate side parking and its a pricey ticket if you don't move it.

I guess I need to budget in another 100 or so for a parking spot!

Old 04-27-2011, 02:05 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,230,984 times
My daughter had an appt in Makiki last year (with one stall) and the number of times her friends and even us were towed were incredible.

They'll tow an hour before the posted time and the only way you have to get your car back is to pay the fine and tow fees. They're been reports about the number of complaints against these goverment contracted tow companies, but typical to Honolulu...nothing is ever done about them.

If you have a car, don't plan on street parking. Just trying to save you $$ and heartache!

Old 04-27-2011, 03:31 PM

369 posts, read 776,481 times
Parking can be difficult but is doable. As far as the scams go, the tow companies can't tow your car unless they get called by the police after the police give you a ticket, its called the tag and bag program...don't illegally park...then you don't get towed (and yes this does include signs). Finding parking between 4 and 5 shouldn't be too bad, if you ever go out, it get much more difficult. If i ever went out with friends and came home late at night, expect to park on Nehoa St. and wake up early to move your car.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM

thanks for the tip! I will only depend on my car for work commute to Tripler. I plan to take the Bus if I go out. Plus I would hate to drive when I've had a couple of glasses of vino.

Are there garages in Makiki? How does one find a rental in parking stall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
Parking can be difficult but is doable. As far as the scams go, the tow companies can't tow your car unless they get called by the police after the police give you a ticket, its called the tag and bag program...don't illegally park...then you don't get towed (and yes this does include signs). Finding parking between 4 and 5 shouldn't be too bad, if you ever go out, it get much more difficult. If i ever went out with friends and came home late at night, expect to park on Nehoa St. and wake up early to move your car.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM

369 posts, read 776,481 times
No major garages in Makiki, I would look around your apartment for people leasing out there parking space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island