Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 47,781 times

Advertisements

Aloha from the Chicago area! We are thinking about buying a lot in the Nanawale subdivision. Had a couple questions. Much mahalo in advance!

- Does the county/city allow for home owners (unlicensed owners) to build their own homes... including electric, plumbing, etc? I ask because in Chicago, you have to be licensed, bonded, insured to even change a roll of toilet paper I built my last home in a remote area in the U.P. of Michigan, and I find the more remote the area, the more relaxed the codes, restrictions, and requirements.
- From the time of application, how long does is usually take for permits to be issued?
- Can someone point me in the right online direction for learning more about construction code in Pahoa?
- Is there a minimum sq ft for new homes? We were thinking of building a small, 1bed/1bath home at approx 450 sq ft.
- Code questions... does anyone know the depth required for concrete piers? Pier and post foundations seem really popular in Hawaii. I would look to do the same. Do they allow for PEX/PVC plumbing?
- Generally speaking, how is the Nanawale subdivision? This would be a vacation home... Would you advise one to beef up their homeowners insurance for theft/vandalism?
- Anyone have any info on building material, price comparisons from Hawaii to mainland?

Thanks much in advance.
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM

One other quick question:
- Will the county require an architect stamp on my plans?

Much mahalo!
Scott

Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoos47 View Post
Aloha from the Chicago area! We are thinking about buying a lot in the Nanawale subdivision. Had a couple questions. Much mahalo in advance!

Quote:
- Does the county/city allow for home owners (unlicensed owners) to build their own homes... including electric, plumbing, etc? I ask because in Chicago, you have to be licensed, bonded, insured to even change a roll of toilet paper I built my last home in a remote area in the U.P. of Michigan, and I find the more remote the area, the more relaxed the codes, restrictions, and requirements.
You can be an owner/builder but must have the electric and plumbing done by a licensed electrician and plumber

Quote:
- From the time of application, how long does is usually take for permits to be issued?
A few weeks to many months, depends if you are trying something out of the ordinary

Quote:
- Can someone point me in the right online direction for learning more about construction code in Pahoa?
Hawaii County website has the info
Building Permits - Department of Public Works

Quote:
- Is there a minimum sq ft for new homes? We were thinking of building a small, 1bed/1bath home at approx 450 sq ft.
Nanawale has certain restrictions to follow.
Nanawale Community Association, Inc

Quote:
- Code questions... does anyone know the depth required for concrete piers? Pier and post foundations seem really popular in Hawaii. I would look to do the same. Do they allow for PEX/PVC plumbing?
The posts just sit on the ground unless you are near the coastline. PVC plumbing is fine.

Quote:
- Generally speaking, how is the Nanawale subdivision? This would be a vacation home... Would you advise one to beef up their homeowners insurance for theft/vandalism?
The top (older) section is sketchy and rather crowded. There has actually been very little crime in the subdivision

- Anyone have any info on building material, price comparisons from Hawaii to mainland?

Thanks much in advance.
Scott
Hope that helps...

Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks SO much for the help! I will look into the links. I wrote Nanawale about the minimum sq ft, and await their response.

Thanks!
Scott

Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Aloha Scott,

Quote:
Does the county/city allow for home owners (unlicensed owners) to build their own homes... including electric, plumbing, etc?
With the owner/builder permit you can build your own home, however, the electrical and plumbing work must be installed by a licensed contractor. Other than that, hammer away to your heart's content. You may want to hire some local helpers so you'll find out the way things are built in Hawaii. Little stuff like using galvanized fasteners instead of those "green sinkers" favored in some parts of the mainland. Loads of ventilation, large eaves, etc. Think about every aspect of your building and ask "why" it is done the way it is and see if it is good for a sub-tropical climate.

Quote:
From the time of application, how long does is usually take for permits to be issued?
If there's no problems, probably less than six weeks. It will take awhile to go through the Department of Health.

Quote:
Can someone point me in the right online direction for learning more about construction code in Pahoa?
It's currently the 1991 Uniform Building Code as amended by Hawaii County although they are considering changing to the IBC. There are a lot of hurricane requirements, those are mostly adding Simpson Strongtie fittings in a continuous path every four feet of the structure. (A length of board can be considered part of the path) and putting in solid 4' wide shear walls in each corner. There is a link on the County Building Department website with the specific requirements.

Quote:
Is there a minimum sq ft for new homes? We were thinking of building a small, 1bed/1bath home at approx 450 sq ft.
The County doesn't have a minimum requirement and that size home is perfect for many lots since it is less than 500 square feet and later it can be re-designated from "residence" to "guest home" (after the kitchen is removed, but a kitchen is a sink/stove/refrigerator so most folks remove the stove) and then you can build your larger residence on the lot. Folks frequently do this so they have a place to stay while building their final residence.

HOWEVER, Nanawale has CCR's (Covenants, Codes and Restrictions, I think it stands for) which require you to build a minimum 880 square foot house. Here's a link to tons of info on Nanawale: Nanawale Community Association, Inc

Quote:
Code questions... does anyone know the depth required for concrete piers? Pier and post foundations seem really popular in Hawaii. I would look to do the same.
No frost heaves around here! No frost line! Plop them pier blocks right on top of the ground. You are supposed to put them on undisturbed or compacted soil so don't put a layer of cinders around and then put the pier blocks on top of the cinders because cinders will settle and compact.

Quote:
Do they allow for PEX/PVC plumbing?
Yup, PEX/PVC and copper seem the favorites, although I think you can also use galvanized iron pipe, too, but check that one.

Quote:
Generally speaking, how is the Nanawale subdivision? This would be a vacation home... Would you advise one to beef up their homeowners insurance for theft/vandalism?
Hmm, I built a house in the back of that sub back in the early 90's and it got broken into several times. If it were built in the front of the sub with neighbors nearby and built to be closed up securely and was in a clear line of sight to the neighbors, then it might be safe from thieves. But, yes, definitely beef up the theft insurance. I don't know about the vandalism, usually that's not as much of a problem as theft.

Quote:
Anyone have any info on building material, price comparisons from Hawaii to mainland?
Nope, sorry. All the houses I've built have been in Hawaii. The lumber yards most folks buy lumber from are HPM, Trojan, Argus and Home Depot. HPM will match prices and HPM and Argus (possibly Trojan, too) will deliver if you buy more than a certain amount. The three local stores have more knowledgeable staff, too, IMHO.

HPM and Trojan are the folks you will probably get your metal roof from. Some areas in the front of Nanawale are on a private water supply line otherwise, you'll be catching the water off your roof for your water supply and for that you'll probably prefer a metal roof.

You'll need a Hawaii structural or architectural stamp as well as a septic engineer's stamp on your plans to get your permit. PM me if you need some names of engineers and architects.

Building a house is fun, but aren't there a lot of them already built that you can buy for less than the replacement cost at the moment?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:40 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Thanks SO much for the help! I will look into the links. I wrote Nanawale about the minimum sq ft, and await their response.

Thanks!
Scott
According to the Nānāwale Community Association CC&Rs (Section II, Part C), the minimum square footage for a house is 880 sq. ft.

However, some folks ignored the CC&Rs and built residences smaller than 880 sq. ft. If you check the Big Island MLS (MLS# 240382), someone's currently trying to get rid of 416 sq. ft. "studio house" for $123,900.

Considering the current state of the real estate market in Puna, it might be more cost-effective to purchase an existing home instead of trying to build one.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:00 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
According to the Nānāwale Community Association CC&Rs (Section II, Part C), the minimum square footage for a house is 880 sq. ft.

However, some folks ignored the CC&Rs and built residences smaller than 880 sq. ft. If you check the Big Island MLS (MLS# 240382), someone's currently trying to get rid of 416 sq. ft. "studio house" for $123,900.

Considering the current state of the real estate market in Puna, it might be more cost-effective to purchase an existing home instead of trying to build one.
The Nanawale Assoc. has been actively looking for, fining and even foreclosing upon homeowners who have tried to ignore the codes. Read through the monthly meeting reports and you will get an idea as to scope of the issues and how they have been quite effective at eliminating them.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Yup, I'm with mdand3 on this one. Just because the building department or a community association hasn't been enforcing codes before, they seem to have gotten a more aggressive stance towards illegal construction and not following the rules. There are other subdivisions which don't have the same CCR's so if you still want to build a small house, just buy a lot in one of the other subs that don't have the same requirements. I think Leilani Estates may also have a minimum size requirement, not sure about HPP. Hawaiian Acres is a free for all, I think Orchidland may have a few codes, not sure.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The Nanawale Assoc. has been actively looking for, fining and even foreclosing upon homeowners who have tried to ignore the codes. Read through the monthly meeting reports and you will get an idea as to scope of the issues and how they have been quite effective at eliminating them.
That's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, I'm with mdand3 on this one. Just because the building department or a community association hasn't been enforcing codes before, they seem to have gotten a more aggressive stance towards illegal construction and not following the rules. There are other subdivisions which don't have the same CCR's so if you still want to build a small house, just buy a lot in one of the other subs that don't have the same requirements. I think Leilani Estates may also have a minimum size requirement, not sure about HPP. Hawaiian Acres is a free for all, I think Orchidland may have a few codes, not sure.
For Leilani Estates, the minimum size of a residence is 800 square feet. HPP, Orchidland, and Hawaiian Acres have no CC&Rs.
Leilani Covenants
Hawaiian Paradise Park FAQs
Orchidland Community Association :: Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.orchidland.org/faqs.html#item22 - broken link)

Old 06-28-2011, 06:03 PM

WOW, thanks for all the info!!! That is all very helpful.

I would definitely pull permits. With an investment like this, I would want to do it right.

Regarding buying a home... I dont think I can afford to buy a home as it will be a vacation home. Might not even have the cash to build myself if I have to build a bigger home than originally planned and hire plumbing/electric contractors to do the work We'll see. I'll continue researching and see what numbers I come up with. I will look into some of the other subdivisions you guys mentioned and maybe stick with the smaller plan.

And thanks for the info on the code requirements. My construction background is only hobby related. This sounds like I will need to be well educated before pulling the trigger.

Thanks again for all the help! If ok, I will stop back here to ask questions... if any of you end up flying into Ohare airport in Chicago, stop by my restaurant and Mai Tais are on me... www.thetikiterrace.com.
Aloha
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island