Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 AM

129 posts, read 535,704 times

Advertisements

Me and my partner are considering opening a new coffeeshop in Hilo. After living here for awhile, I've noticed that the downtown area really lacks a really good shop. I've some ideas for what could make one really successful there, but Hilo-ites, what do you think? Does in need another one? Do the cruise ships come in enough to get tourist traffic? One thing I don't know much about is the cruise ships/how many people they bring in, and for how long....

Just a thought-what you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
Me and my partner are considering opening a new coffeeshop in Hilo. After living here for awhile, I've noticed that the downtown area really lacks a really good shop. I've some ideas for what could make one really successful there, but Hilo-ites, what do you think? Does in need another one? Do the cruise ships come in enough to get tourist traffic? One thing I don't know much about is the cruise ships/how many people they bring in, and for how long....

Just a thought-what you think?
Considering the population size and the coffeeshops that are already here (ie. 2 "standalone" Starbucks, 2 Starbucks located in other businesses, Hilo Sharks Coffee, Bay Front Coffee, Just Crusin' Coffee, and a couple of others), a new coffeeshop in Hilo might have a difficult time. As for getting tourist traffic from the cruise ships, they serve coffee onboard the cruise ships and passengers might not want to squander their limited time in port by going to a coffeeshop. Here are the schedules for the cruise ships are arrive at Hilo Harbor for 2011 and 2012...
http://hawaii.gov/dot/harbors/file-l...cruise2011.pdf
http://hawaii.gov/dot/harbors/file-l...cruise2012.pdf

However, if you believe that you and your partner have an excellent idea for a coffeeshop that can survive amidst the competition and have adequate funding, go for it...

Old 11-14-2011, 12:24 PM

129 posts, read 390,054 times
From what I've seen, you will probably get more business from the crew members of the cruise ship than from the passengers. And the ships make the rounds, so you will recognize them as regulars after a while.

As for building a business on coffee to tourists -- naw. Coffee is a way for working people to avoid work. Tourists already are avoiding work, so they don't feel the need to take a break. They're already on one.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
Do we have that many coffee shops in Hilo? There's the Starbucks over behind PK mall next to the veterinary's office and that other one on Kiluea street over across from Domino's pizza and Finance Factors. I can't think of any more than that. There's the venerable Bear's Coffee which has been around a long time although they are over on the Wainuenue end of town. The one, "just cruis'in" is more or less for drive by customers only, isn't it? Shark's is more of an ice cream place, isn't it? Tiny without a lot of seats, too. So basically, I'd guess the competition would be Starbucks and Bears, the others aren't exactly sit in sorts of coffee shops.

I think it would depend on what kind of coffee place you were thinking of having and it's location as to whether or not it would thrive. A coffee shop which was more of a meeting place might go over well and perhaps the University crowd would be more of a viable target than the cruise ship folks.

Usually, cruise ships are only in port for half a day. They also push all sorts of land tours to their passengers during the cruise so a lot of their passengers go directly onto tour buses as they exit the ships. Add in the free food and coffee on board the ships, the cruise ship passengers have very little reason to look for food off the ship. Cruise ships can also decide to go somewhere else next year too. Their itinerary can change from year to year and having them as the sole support of your business plan might be risky.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Do we have that many coffee shops in Hilo? There's the Starbucks over behind PK mall next to the veterinary's office and that other one on Kiluea street over across from Domino's pizza and Finance Factors. I can't think of any more than that. There's the venerable Bear's Coffee which has been around a long time although they are over on the Wainuenue end of town. The one, "just cruis'in" is more or less for drive by customers only, isn't it? Shark's is more of an ice cream place, isn't it? Tiny without a lot of seats, too. So basically, I'd guess the competition would be Starbucks and Bears, the others aren't exactly sit in sorts of coffee shops.
There's a Starbucks in the new Safeway and there's another Starbucks in the new Target that's right next door.

My favorite coffeehouse in Hilo was Kope Kope that was located in the Hilo Shopping Center on Kilauea. Unfortunately, they couldn't make a decent profit and ended up closing down a while ago.

Quote:
I think it would depend on what kind of coffee place you were thinking of having and it's location as to whether or not it would thrive. A coffee shop which was more of a meeting place might go over well and perhaps the University crowd would be more of a viable target than the cruise ship folks.

Usually, cruise ships are only in port for half a day. They also push all sorts of land tours to their passengers during the cruise so a lot of their passengers go directly onto tour buses as they exit the ships. Add in the free food and coffee on board the ships, the cruise ship passengers have very little reason to look for food off the ship. Cruise ships can also decide to go somewhere else next year too. Their itinerary can change from year to year and having them as the sole support of your business plan might be risky.
Instead of targeting the cruise ship passengers, it might be worthwhile to target folks that travel by air and look into opening up a Seattle's Best or Coffee, Bean and Tea Leaf franchise at or near Hilo Airport. Approximately 4,500 passengers pass through Hilo Airport every day...

Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 PM

Oh, I guess we do have more Starbuck's than I knew about. I don't go to Safeway or Target so I guess that's a good reason I didn't see them. Isn't there another Starbuck's almost literally across the street? Sheesh!

How about opening a "Hilo's Best" coffee shop and serve local coffees? Hilo airport doesn't seem that busy, though. Do that many people really go through there? There aren't a lot of folks waiting around for a connecting flight, though, in Hilo. One is usually either coming or going but not waiting.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Oh, I guess we do have more Starbuck's than I knew about. I don't go to Safeway or Target so I guess that's a good reason I didn't see them. Isn't there another Starbuck's almost literally across the street? Sheesh!
Yes, one of the "standalone" Starbuck's is across the street at the Prince Kūhiō Plaza.

Quote:
How about opening a "Hilo's Best" coffee shop and serve local coffees? Hilo airport doesn't seem that busy, though. Do that many people really go through there? There aren't a lot of folks waiting around for a connecting flight, though, in Hilo. One is usually either coming or going but not waiting.
Surprisingly, Hilo's airport is relatively busy at certain times of the day and according to the State of Hawai'i, Department of Transportation approximately, 4,500 passengers per day pass through.
Airport Fact Sheet - ITO

Old 11-15-2011, 03:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,212 times
I also want to know about this, can anyone give us the answer?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing0829 View Post
I also want to know about this, can anyone give us the answer?
The short answer is, "No, Hilo does not need another coffeeshop."

However, I don't want to discourage creativity and innovation. Dealing with the local government and starting a small business on the Big Island is onerous enough without trying to compete against juggernauts like Starbucks in an oversaturated market.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 AM

However, Hilo could use another gathering spot. If it were a meeting place instead of a coffee shop it might go over. I'd think somewhere easily accessible by the college students. I wonder if you could try it at the Hilo Farmer's Market to start? Get a scattering of small tables and chairs, serve coffee, sandwiches, malasadas, cut up fruit, etc., and give the shoppers a place to sit and nibble a bit. Dunno if you'd have a problem with folks camping out at your tables or not, you may have to have a set time limit of fifteen minutes if there are people waiting for tables or something. Starting at the farmer's market, you'd not have to rent a shop until you got the kinks worked out and figured out what was profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island