Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 AM

29 posts, read 127,179 times

Advertisements

Google maps says about 1 hr from Waimea and over 2 hrs from Kona. Is that accurate? I am wondering how traffic is in either direction, road conditions etc. Does 1 hr turn into 2? I would potentially need to make the drive about 8-10/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 PM

18 posts, read 56,653 times
Those estimates are relatively accurate. However, there are always variables which can affect that. Kona does seem to have more of the typical commuter traffic patterns which do add a bit of time to your trips but I don't think this doubles the time.

The things which can really stretch out your travel times include road construction, weather, landslides, tourists taking pictures, etc. These events all occur frequently enough to be a nuisance and impact your schedule.

If you're going to be doing that commute 8-10x a month, best get yourself a fuel efficient car. That's a lot of miles and gas is pretty pricy on the island.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
It's an hour's drive to Hilo from Honokaa and that's only 42 miles. Figure an hour and a quarter to an hour and a half from Waimea, depending on which side of town you're starting from. There is a little bit of rush hour traffic through Waimea in the afternoons, but not a lot anymore. Folks can't afford to drive from one side of the island to the other for daily work these days plus there's a lot less jobs so there's less traffic.

There are occasional landslides in the gulches which can shut them down for several hours at a time and the detour around the gulches is to go back through Waimea and take Saddle Road. Otherwise, there's the aforementioned road work, tourists, etc. From Waimea to Hilo there is only one road and the fastest posted speed is 55. Actually, I think that's the fastest speed anywhere on the island,although frequently there will be someone driving about ten miles an hour slower.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 AM

97 posts, read 279,474 times
It takes me about 1 hr 45 mins to drive between Hilo and Kona (Costco) via Saddle Road. Going to Waimea takes about 1 hr 20 mins (usually longer due to emergency malasada and coffee stop) regardless if I go Mamalahoa Hwy or Saddle Road.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 PM

Mmmm, yeah! Malasadas! Other than the traditional stop at Tex Drive Inn in Honokaa, another new tasty stop is Village Burger in Waimea at Parker Shopping center. They ain't the cheapest, but I'll bet they're the best! Wasbi french fries! Booyah!

Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 PM

97 posts, read 279,474 times
Ohhh yes, Village Burger! Nom nom nom! I haven't tried the wasabi fries (next time) but the truffle fries were very good.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,306,760 times
Hotz,

I first read that as "stop at Village Burger for malasadas!" I was about to shut down the computer and go check that out until I re-read your post! :-)

Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM

Welll, next time you're in at Village Burger, suggest malasadas to him. They've got the hot oil fryers so they could probably make malasadas if they wanted. They'd need a medium sized Hobart mixer and a flat spot for rolling them out on, but they've got the hot oil fryer which is about half the process so maybe they could become a burger and malasada stop with a little bit of encouragement?

Actually, this is something a lot of folks don't notice about the Big Island. We have a small enough population that one can actually make suggestions or requests and they occasionally get carried out. Ask the grocery store to bring in an item you like to buy and more than likely, they'll try to do it. If you've got a political grumble about something, it's easy enough to go find one of the council people or other elected officials and bend their ear about it, especially if you can help them figure out how to implement it and as long as it's for the community as a whole.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 PM

102 posts, read 171,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandBum View Post
It takes me about 1 hr 45 mins to drive between Hilo and Kona (Costco) via Saddle Road. Going to Waimea takes about 1 hr 20 mins (usually longer due to emergency malasada and coffee stop) regardless if I go Mamalahoa Hwy or Saddle Road.
Where's the malasada stop? Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 PM

Mile Marker 42 is Honokaa and is the home of Tex Drive Inn which has the malasadas. It's right along the highway, although you have to drive around the building to get to the front. Since it's about halfway between Hilo and Kailua, lots of folks traditionally stop there for a rest break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island