Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:45 PM

206 posts, read 466,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddywagons View Post
I don't know jack sh**

When I was in Hilo dining at a low-key sidewalk cafe, I witnessed obvious meth-heads panhandling customers for drug money - and some naively gave them money! The owner said nothing to discourage them; I don't know if he was fearful of retaliation or just didn't grasp that doing nothing would only invite their return and on and on. If he or anybody called the police, would they have come and checked them for drugs and warrants, I think so. They would then be trespassed from the property with the threat of arrest if they returned after the official warning. It's at least doing something. But we were all too busy - and guess who was on that "too busy" list - little old me with all the advice for others! I felt guilty that I didn't make that call. I did though tell the 2 meth-heads to get lost and they did sheepishly. I also made a couple of other calls to the police while there on some other meth-heads I saw congregating suspiciously. I guess I was doing penance!
Drug addicts are not automatically criminals, they people with a medical problem who should be helped, not harassed by people who don't know jack sh** and don't even live here yet but want to be able to decide who should be in the community, and who shouldn't. Furthermore, people who are homeless are not automatically criminals and you don't know just by looking at them if they use drugs or will use the money they get panhandling for drugs. This sort of ignorant, self-righteous 1950's suburbia attitude of yours is what needs to get lost from the BI. I hope you get arrested for wasting the police's time when there are real crimes, like rape, to be adressed. Gentrification is BS, and just moves the effects of poverty somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island