Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 PM

219 posts, read 498,024 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into containers and freight forwarding services. It seems cheapest to u-haul it to the coast and load the container in Cali, send it on its way and get on the plane. I was just wondering if anyone was looking to share a container this summer. I do not have a container full of stuff I want brought over. More like 3-4 pallets.

I would prefer not to bring much and start over but my fiance wants to explore the option. He has tools that would be expensive to replace and after seeing what it costs to get the car serviced-he needs them.

So consider this a heads up, anyone moving to the Big Island in 2012 want to split a container please post details here or dm me. People with a Tardis can post too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,088,002 times
Do you need a long colorful scarf to go with the Tardis? The Dr. Who with the long scarf was my fav, although the funky red coat Who was kewl, too. Alternative sartorial choices are always interesting.

If there aren't a whole lot of tools, he might look into shipping via the Post Office's prepaid boxes where you can stuff them full for one price. Otherwise, ocean freight goes by volume, not weight, so it's another good way to ship tools.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 AM

219 posts, read 498,024 times
Tom Baker was my first doctor, so yes I would take the scarf. But that comment was directed at people years from now who will respond without noticing I want to ship in 2012.

He has mechanic gear and contractor gear so I don't think USPS can get all of it. The tools have earned their purchase cost (plus some were handed down by now departed family members) and I'm sure they would redeem the shipping cost over time too. He could set up shop if he got it all there. Just have to sort it out now.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,058,356 times
The prepaid boxes are really small. Good for mailing something small and heavy (like dive weights) but not for a large collection of tools, it would cost way too much to use them.

We're moving to BI this summer but we've decided to take valuables and things we need immediately on the plane with us (clothing, dive gear, laptops, cameras, not much else) and mail the rest via parcel post. We've decided to get rid of most of what we own. If we lived on the mainland, we may have considered doing what you're doing, but first we have to ship it from our island to the mainland, then find a hauler to take it to California, and after computing what that would cost, we decided our stuff really wasn't worth it.

Wishing you a smooth move.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 AM

4,415 posts, read 4,938,720 times
It sounds like you don't need a container. The barge companies (at least the one I checked into) will let you show up with a truck full of stuff and let you palletize (they even provide the pallets) it right there and they will charge you the LTC (less than container) rate. We're shipping a 20' container from Alaska and our strategy is that 1) we've gotten rid of 3/4 our stuff, 2) We're loading the container with everything that won't fit into parcel post-able boxes first, 3) If there is leftover room we'll take the stuff on our "can live with or without it" list, if not, we'll sell or give it away, 4) If we fill it up and there is stuff leftover that we need, we'll either parcel post or LTC it over, depending on quantity. We moved four blocks 19 months ago and just about everything we owned fit into a 26' U-Haul, and considering how much stuff we've gotten rid of I think we can tetris it into a 20' container, but its hard to really know until you get there.

If anybody has any ideas of something they think we should put in the container if there is leftover room, I'd like to hear them. But bear in mind where we live in Alaska most things that you would buy at the store are more expensive here than they are on the BI. Also, you didn't say if you are taking a vehicle. Most barges don't let you put anything in the vehicle when you ship it, but when I checked with Northland Services (which sails from Seattle under the Aloha Cargo Transport moniker), they do allow you to load your vehicle up with stuff (at least from Alaska, I can't speak regarding west coast to Hawaii) so long as it doesn't exceed the manufacturer's recommended max gross vehicle weight (its usually printed on the inside door jam on the drivers side) which in the case of my vehicle, is about 900 pounds.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:20 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,058,356 times
When I moved to the Caribbean, VICargo palletized my stuff onto four pallets while I watched, it was fascinating. I did not have to fill a container. It's called LCL, less than container load. It was fun to watch but keep an eye on them!!! They just grab the boxes, stack them and shrink wrap them. They put a box of fragiles under four boxes of books...I caught them and made them re-do it.

From what I've read, car shippers to HI from the mainland will not let you put anything in your car past a jack and spare tire. Theft is the reason, your car will be unattended at both ports for a period of time. Edited to add that they warned me that if my radio was sweet and new-ish, to remove it before shipping too. Alas, the radio was so old that it didn't get stolen.

Last edited by HiloDiver; 04-07-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island