Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times

Advertisements

Hopefully you've seen this thread: Can you tell me about the Town of Volcano? Lots of good information in there for someone thinking of moving.

Just wondering, since you've never been to the BI, why you've chosen Volcano to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 14,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Hopefully you've seen this thread: Can you tell me about the Town of Volcano? Lots of good information in there for someone thinking of moving.

Just wondering, since you've never been to the BI, why you've chosen Volcano to live in?
Hi there! From satellite, video, and images, it looks very peaceful and lush. Year-round. And I like the low-key atmosphere that everyone talks about. The biggest issue I can find is the school situation, however, that can be worked around with effort. Having lived in rural settings, longer-than-normal commutes are the norm. If I stayed in Alaska for the coming school year, my daughter would be doing a 40-mile round trip commute to school also. So in Volcano she'd have the same type of commute, only the view would be greener (and warmer) in the winter.

I did read through the thread you suggested. Thank you.

This is what I appreciate about this forum - it has been very helpful and realistic. I still have a plane ticket arriving the first week of June, however, I decided to go the temporary rental path until I could experience each area firsthand. So that means it will most likely still be Volcano, but maybe something else will jump out at me. Living too close to the noise and congestion of the city does not sound very good at all.

The ability to do some farming, small-scale to start, is ultimately what the goal is.

Take care!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 885 times
This has been a very helpful thread. Thank you!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The big island doesn't really have that much noise and congestion of a city. Probably because we don't really have much above the level of a mid-sized town.

What I frequently see folks doing is selecting somewhere to live based on what they are trying to get away from on the mainland and not realizing that anywhere on the island would meet their criteria. Frequently, it over exceeds to the extent that they find it unlivable. They want to "move away from the city" and end up in the back of the way beyond with very little access to anything they are used to. It's kinda like a little kid only wanting to eat ice cream. You give them nothing but ice cream and that won't last real long at all. Move the folks "away from the city" and they find they miss the interaction of other folks and the places to socialize. You can get peace and quiet without having to be totally isolated.

Moving here and renting in different areas first is a great way to find the perfect spot.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 AM

8 posts, read 14,968 times
Been in Hilo for 4 days now. Haven't made it up to Volcano yet. Taking my time and getting oriented to the weather and rhythm of the island.

So far, from what I have experienced, this side of the Island is everything I had envisioned and researched. It is actually a bit more crowded than what I am used to, but not in a terrifying, big-city way.

Will be checking out real estate tomorrow, and a rental or two as backup. Or maybe it should be the other way around

Talking with my realtor, he said that he's been showing real estate all week to Alaskans. There definetely seems to be a connection between Hawaii and Alaska going on. Kindred spirits.

Last edited by lovefunandsun; 07-12-2012 at 01:09 AM..

Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Aloha!

Definitely rent for a while. You don't know what you don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island