Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 PM

239 posts, read 520,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyDiver View Post
The landlord has hawaiiantel.com so I looked it up....wow is it CHEAP...for a landline phone* without long distance (we don't need L-D) and basic internet with up to 7 mbps (note that is SPECTACULARLY fast compared to our current .45 MPBS) is only $42.90/month. We pay twice that for lousy internet and no phone.

Anyone have good or bad to say about hawaiiantel.com?

*when I lived on the mainland, about all I used my basic landline phone for was to make my cell phone ring so I could find it when I left it somewhere around the house or yard.

We had the phone and internet package and it was great. Great price and worked very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Oh, I don't care specifically, I was just wondering generally if you were going to be NE of the cruise ship dock and airport, or NW along Hilo Bay (or wherever) so I could start giving you heads ups on specific places near you that you may like.

In any case, hubby may have already discovered it, but my #1 pick in town has to be Cafe Pesto, on the bayfront in the old downtown area. It's in a beautifully restored 1912 building with high ceilings and cool ambience. My favorite time there is mid-afternoon, after the lunch rush quiets down, but before the dinner buzz builds, when I can sit there for hours in a wicker chair with a tall cold beverage, looking out the huge windows at the surf crashing in on the beach, reading a good book, whatever. The food is spectacular, from the small plates and wood fired pizzas to full dinners, and on weekends there's usually a slack key player/singer from Happy Hour on. I know you're gonna love it.

Cafe Pesto Hilo Bay Location
Sounds delightful! But please don't limit locations of your recommendations. We are big into road trips (yes, even on our tiny island, we can make a day of it!) and plan to spend lots of time exploring our new home island. He's found some great places in town already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
We had the phone and internet package and it was great. Great price and worked very well.
Thank you!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Quote:
AGAIN...I know for a fact that Hawaiian Telcom serves the house (as it does right now). However, thank you for the explanation that all others are HT resellers, that's some new information at least.
Please pay attention. I have been trying to help you, despite your snide comments.

The house you are going to rent may very well have DSL TODAY - but if all the ports in the neighborhood are full, and the current user drops the access - YOU MIGHT NOT GET DSL, because someone else will get that port between the time the current user drops it and you try to get it! People will actually SELL their port to others! Yes, really. I know a guy who was recently offered $1000 to give up his DSL service. He refused.

Again, (this is for OpenD,) just because Hawaiian Telcom says you can get DSL at a particular address, does not mean that you can place the order and actually get DSL! It is a port issue! If they are all full, you can't get it, despite what the maps or customer service people say, in advance. You have to place the order in order to find out!

PS - DebbyDiver, because you said "to share what they use for DSL" made me think you didn't really know what DSL is. Sorry if you don't like my truthful answers.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Dang. In retrospect I should have highly recommended DSL. What a dilemma that would have been for good old Debby.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Again, (this is for OpenD,) just because Hawaiian Telcom says you can get DSL at a particular address, does not mean that you can place the order and actually get DSL! It is a port issue! If they are all full, you can't get it, despite what the maps or customer service people say, in advance. You have to place the order in order to find out!
Sorry you didn't understand at all what I was really saying to DebbyDiver. I was actually making fun of the fact that people keep answering questions that she has not asked, even after she points out that they're answering questions she did not ask. So I responded by answering a question she had not asked.

It was funny to me, and since she got the joke, and liked it, it was obviously funny to her. Your mileage may vary.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:00 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry you didn't understand at all what I was really saying to DebbyDiver. I was actually making fun of the fact that people keep answering questions that she has not asked, even after she points out that they're answering questions she did not ask. So I responded by answering a question she had not asked.

It was funny to me, and since she got the joke, and liked it, it was obviously funny to her. Your mileage may vary.
I answered the questions she didn't ask, but needed to ask, despite her not wanting to hear the answer. Others researching this will need to know these answers to questions that were not asked....

Old 07-05-2012, 04:09 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
So, in other words, you already answered the questions she might have asked, if she were to ask them, and didn't answer the question she asked, because she probably should have known better not to ask it in the first place. You answer the questions she didn't ask with the answer she didn't want to hear, because she also wasn't akamai enough to know that the questions she did ask weren't really relevant to the answers you could provide her with if she had only asked the proper question to begin with. MAN!!! I PICKED A HELL OF A DAY TO QUIT DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (pppsssssstttttt,, MD, you ever have a job in DC?)

don't think i'll ever wrap my mind around this whole "boson' thing...

uuuurrrrpppp,,,,,,, scuze me. alohaha

Old 07-05-2012, 05:33 AM

MDand3, you are so frequently nasty on this forum that I sure wish you would stop replying to any of my posts or threads. You are the queen of snide comments. I see you being nasty on here far too often to others as well. You also come off as not comprehending what questions people are asking. Don't think others haven't messaged me about it. Yes, I know I can get DSL there. I also know what DSL is and was the first person in my mainland neighborhood to have it a decade ago, as I waited a year for the lines to be in. If you can't be nice, be quiet.

Yes Open, your post amused me. Jung, you are always so silly!

Well, I got my answer...HI Telecom is what's working best in that area, apparently. I also appreciate the posters who said cable internet is a poor solution. As tempting as Viper's 4G card idea is, I think I use too much bandwidth to make that a reasonable solution. And I don't need the portability of access that he does.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:30 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
As tempting as Viper's 4G card idea is, I think I use too much bandwidth to make that a reasonable solution. And I don't need the portability of access that he does.
Yeah, your instinct is correct. I use a 4G card on my laptop for portability, and I have to monitor my usage carefully so I don't go over the monthly cap. As page content has gotten more and more cluttered, with embedded self-running videos and such, even just reading the news consumes a lot more bandwidth than you might expect. Ditto Facebook and other sites with a lot of photos. And I rarely open a YouTube video on wireless because it just chews through my data allowance in no time.

Now that Verizon has stopped offering their Unlimited service, I think all the carriers have the same 5G cap on monthly data use, and once you exceed it they throttle your speed down to an extremely painful crawl.

But you know, if you call the phone company, they can tell you if DSL is available at your address.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:34 PM

LMAO @ OpenD!!!!!! BWAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously...I agree, 4G card is not for me, we do a lot of web work, and photos and graphics, we have an online business too, and we both love to watch music videos (one of the ways he perfects his talents on the many instruments he plays), I just don't want to have to monitor consumption and cut back. I'm also tempted to cut our Netflix subscription (actual DVDs in the mail, because our internet is dial-up slow here) and go to streaming after we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island