Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 AM

150 posts, read 725,832 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

This is a comprehensive board and I wanted to ask you all a question regarding the Big Island. My wife and I would like to know if anybody has either first hand or second hand knowledge of the extent of structural damage to houses in the Hawi area from the October 2006 quake. Also, what distruption if any has occurred during the recent tremors in the area.

Many thanks
Bobby & Phyllis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 PM

144 posts, read 735,864 times
I was selling my parent's house in Hilo this past spring and had trouble finding a plumber and an engineer to do some work. Turns out all the plumbers had been called to do jobs on the Kona/Kohala side of the island.

Here's a report by Risk Management Solutions on some of the damage from that quake.

http://www.eeri.org/lfe/pdf/usa_Kona...econReport.pdf

Old 02-04-2008, 08:22 PM

15 posts, read 83,874 times
our relative lives on the kona side and said it shook the house up a bit-- broke mirrors, some glass items, dishes. but no major structural damage for him.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 35,179 times
My parents live near Hawi and part of their house was moved off their foundation. They did apply for grants to repair the damage.

I was on the island for a family funeral when the earthquake occurred and it was the largest earthquake since the early 70s. I lived there all my life (except for the past 6 yrs) and never experienced one that strong.

I didn't get to see my family (they live in the Honokaa, Kohala, Kamuela and Waikoloa areas) since all the roads were closed due to debris, etc. I did email them and called as many as I could and even though they had damage to their homes, they were all fine.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:19 PM

150 posts, read 725,832 times
Wow thanks for the information

Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 AM

8 posts, read 31,982 times
Our friend's house in Kona had lots of damage. They live above the airport so they were close to the center of the quake. She was out walking her dogs and had to fall on the ground because it was shaking too hard. Almost all of their windows broke and part of their two story house shifted off of the foundation. Their neighbors rockwall fell into their yard. Rockwalls are very expensive and I bet Kona area had to rebuild most of them!

Our friends in Waikoloa had sheetrock damage (almost every wall had cracks in the sheetrock), but they didn't have any other structural damage. Some other friends in Waikoloa didn't have any damage at all. I guess it depends on what type of lava you're on top of.

Our friends in Kea'au (Hilo side)...thier house shifted "back onto the foundation". LOL A previous quake shook it off and they didn't discover it until after they bought the house...it pays to have an inspection before you buy! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: