Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 AM

151 posts, read 329,822 times

Advertisements

Gotcha.

Would that include photographs and canvas artwork getting ruined too then? That was about the only thing I WAS actually planning to bring with me to Hawaii....I know I read somewhere not to bother bringing books because they would end up getting ruined....and I also read to keep important papers in a room with the door shut and a dehumidifier running....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 12:12 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
Would that include photographs and canvas artwork getting ruined too then? That was about the only thing I WAS actually planning to bring with me to Hawaii....I know I read somewhere not to bother bringing books because they would end up getting ruined....and I also read to keep important papers in a room with the door shut and a dehumidifier running....
Kona side humidity is not nearly the problem that it is in Puna. I wouldn't worry about it. At the same time I would think twice about bringing valuable books or prints.

Each area has its own peculiarities, strange things you never could have expected. I remember some time ago a Kona woman posting here that her windshield had gotten so bad from the vog that she couldn't drive at night, and she thought she'd have to replace the glass. Fortunately the windshield wasn't actually damaged and a professional grade cleaner was able to remove the deposits, but... who would even imagine such a thing if it hadn't happened to you?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:09 PM

151 posts, read 329,822 times
Wow. Yeah I definitely wouldn't know what to do in that lady's situation either. That's definitely "A Hawaii Problem"...not something that we Mainlanders could ever anticipate...I'm sure there will be plenty of surprises - and changes - in store for us and for our lifestyle in general...a whole new way of living, really.

"The key to success is often the ability to adapt." -Unknown

Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
If you get air conditioning your stuff will be fine.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,697 times
Books will eventually get brown spots on the pages, or worse. Photos hold up better due to the type of paper (although I don't know how "home printed" photos will hold up). But the pages in the album will eventually discolor and/or spot. I like having my books on the shelf, and figure I'll just let them get spotted. None are collector quality. My photos I keep in drawers, so they are more protected, and they've always held up well.

I cannot say how things will hold up in an AC'd home. I've never lived in a place where I did not throw open the windows every day.

The worst I've had happen is when in an older house, termites ate through a pile of paperwork, and my stored tapa.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Mold and mildew is your enemy in Hawaii. Optimal mold growth occurs between 77 and 88 degrees - right in the Hawaii sweetspot. Mildew optimal growth is 70%+ humidity - the rainer sides of the island are more prone to major mildew. Mildew specifically goes after paper (books), wood, paint, glue, and leather. Mildew is your enemy. The moisture from humidity will rust your appliances.

Air conditioners that also dehumidify (I'm not talking about cheap window units) - circluate the air, lower the temperature, and lower humidity - all major factors in mold and mildew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island