Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM

61 posts, read 121,404 times

Advertisements

I read--from OpenD, I think---to be alert for lava tubes when looking at lots/land. With the rampant foilage covering most lots, how would you know it was under there somewhere? Are there ways of detecting lava tubes? It would be kinda cool to have one, but obviously presents problems for building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 04:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Well, you can't really, unless part of one has collapsed. And as Hotzcatz mentioned, sometimes the way you find one is to have the land collapse under your bulldozer.

But you can look around for holes in the ground, openings, rolling folds in the surface that give you a sense there is something underneath. And really look around, for potential issues. A friend asked me to walk around a lot he was considering and I noticed at least a half dozen huge old tree trunks that had fallen... there had been a huge blow a half century ago that knocked down a lot of old growth trees in the area... and been logged out, but the trunks remained. And I knew from experience it would be a lot of work (read: expensive) to get them out. So I asked him what he planned to do about them, and his reply was: "What tree trunks?"

Another guy was excited about a place that looked promising in the satellite photos, like a gently rippling grassy field... ideal for building, right? i took a look on his behalf, and found an extremely rough, uneven, rocky plot which was covered with 7' tall wild ginger, a highly invasive weed. I climbed up on a hill on an adjoining lot and looked down, and sure enough, the tops of those wild gingers looked like a gently rippling grassy field at a distance.

As several of us have said in various threads here, it's foolhardy to buy land in Hawai'i that you've not inspected closely. There are just too many variables involved.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Yes, OpenD is so right to recommend not buying sight-unseen! And there are other considerations to be on the lookout for besides lava tubes, especially if you plan on building a home. Some folks hire a soil engineering company to do report prior to building and installing a septic system.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opend View Post
as several of us have said in various threads here, it's foolhardy to buy land anywhere that you've not inspected closely. There are just too many variables involved.
ftfy...

Old 08-11-2012, 03:43 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
And should the ginger have actually been rolling grassland, it may have actually been a flood plain in disguise. Frequently, if you find a big grassy expanse in a forest (at least around here) it might be because it floods often enough to wash away the young trees. Although sometimes the grass is from cows, then it's good. Although, another way to find lava tubes is to let the cows wander around until they fall in one. Someone had that happen and it took a couple days to get the cow out. I think it was okay but it was a huge hassle.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:22 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
If the property is big enough and you know it is there, it might be fun to have a lava tube if you had one big enough to get down into and walk around. Your own personal cave.

I can't think of any way you'd know the property had one unless it was broken open. There is probably specialized equipment that measures density of soil that would detect them, but that wouldn't be for homeowners.

There is always the thought that it was a lava highway in the past and maybe the lava would flow down it again. That's a little scary.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is always the thought that it was a lava highway in the past and maybe the lava would flow down it again. That's a little scary.
Well, yeah, it was ALL lava originally, but for most of the island the last lava flows were thousands of years ago. Not all of it, of course. The last house burned up by lava was only a few months ago, but the risk zones are pretty well delineated. The owner of that house had built on fresh lava, so he knew the risk he was taking.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 PM

61 posts, read 121,404 times
A cow fell in!! Well, that's one way to find a lava tube. Poor bovine!

You are all preaching to the proverbial choir here, regarding buying land sight unseen. I would NEVER consider that. Just asking for advice on what to look for when I'm there in person this winter. And I would take the sound advice to rent for long as possible in the area considered. I do have to work here on the mainland half the year for as long as the limbs hold out. But someday hope to retire over there.

So much good advice here. Thanks OpenD and Hotz and all of you. I read daily, and soak it all up!

In my area, it's the aquifer. 2 lots up from mine, tens of thousands have been spent drilling dry wells.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
The Kaumana cave system is pretty well mapped out and a lot of it goes under several of the big Puna subdivisions. If you get a copy of that cave system overlaid with a map of the subs you'll have an idea if one of the cave branches might be below the property you were interested in. A friend of mine from Alaska is hoping to buy a lot that has a cave under it since she wants to explore in the cave. Not exactly my cup of tea, but she's all gung ho about it.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:38 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The Kaumana cave system is pretty well mapped out and a lot of it goes under several of the big Puna subdivisions. If you get a copy of that cave system overlaid with a map of the subs you'll have an idea if one of the cave branches might be below the property you were interested in. A friend of mine from Alaska is hoping to buy a lot that has a cave under it since she wants to explore in the cave. Not exactly my cup of tea, but she's all gung ho about it.
A lot of properties have lava tubes. Some people have had their lots for decades and never realized that it came with a tube entrance (usually in the form of a puka (hole)). Although its possible that the hole opening happened suddenly. We have a property near Volcano with a small tube but looking at the geology of the lot its probably part of something bigger. Pukas, especially smaller ones are usually covered by vegetation and are easily missed. Our other lot has a puka that has been filled in with large lava rocks and cinder. We've decided to escavate it and if we find a cave opening, great. If not it will be a koi pond. Either way it's a neat feature.

A different property that we looked at in Orchidland had a HUGE puka. It was as big as the house. It had been there a long time and had old growth trees coming out of it. It was beautiful. And it had a lava tube entrance on either side big enough to drive a bus through. There was no safe way down to the bottom of the puka since I didn't bring the extension ladder so I didn't get a chance to poke my head into it. Unfortunately the buyer accepted another offer though in the end it was a blessing since we later learned the house had too many unpermitted additions to qualify for a mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island