Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You would do better starting another Hawaii sea salt company over attempting a chocolate factory. At least you would have minimum overhead compared to a manufacturing plant and nature provides all that is needed in the form of raw material and drying means.
You've overlooked what might be the most compelling reason to make chocolate over salt... it's a lot more fun!!!

Anyhoosits, I seem to have botched a previous comment. It appears that grinding the chocolate to eliminate the grittyness and make it smoother by reducing the size of the chocolate particles is a distinct process from conching, which seems to be about coating those particles with fat, which affects the flavor and the mouth-feel of the chocolate. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

On the other hand, I did run across some interesting info about using auger type juicing machines to process chocolate at home, which makes successful small batch processing at home seem more likely.

But cowabunga, the process sure is complicated, and precision is necessary to ensure repeatability.

I'm thinking my original plan might be simpler... rum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Hmmm, rum...well I sure am going to miss the $11.99 big bottles of Cruzan Dark we can buy here...what rums do Big Islanders like best? Does HI produce any rum or is it all imported?

Mmmm, rum and chocolate...mmmmmm

Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Hawaii produces and bottles a few different rums - none of which I've thought taste very good compared to Caribbean rum.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hawaii produces and bottles a few different rums - none of which I've thought taste very good compared to Caribbean rum.

Have you tried Koloa? I'm a fan of the spiced and the dark for sipping rum, and the golden for mixing. It's no Mount Gay Extra Old, but it's pretty darn good.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post
Have you tried Koloa? I'm a fan of the spiced and the dark for sipping rum, and the golden for mixing. It's no Mount Gay Extra Old, but it's pretty darn good.
I'm not sure I've tried that particular one - I'll check it out. The Hawaiian rums I've tried in the past just don't seem as smooth as the Caribbean counterparts and have a sharper bite to them - at least for me.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Hmmm, rum...well I sure am going to miss the $11.99 big bottles of Cruzan Dark we can buy here...what rums do Big Islanders like best? Does HI produce any rum or is it all imported?
You must be tired... I already answered this question for you a month ago in our previous discussion about Cruzan, at and around: https://www.city-data.com/forum/25172733-post29.html

Ennaway, as my friend on Cape Cod says, here's the nugget:
"Once you're settled, you might enjoy trying some fine Hawiian rums, of which there are a few, such as Koloa rum, a premium single batch rum made from Hawaiian cane sugar on Kaua`i; and Okolehao Hawaiian Rum single barrel rum from Maui.

Hana Bay and Lahaina and Malibu, not so much. They're made elsewhere and just marketed as Hawaiian. "
http://www.haleakaladistillers.com/5052.html - Maui Rum & Okolehao*

http://www.koloarum.com/history.htm

*Okolehao - which some say is Hawaiian for "iron butt," is Hawaiian moonshine. Originally made from fermented ti roots, then with various additions, such as pineapple, rice, sugar cane, then distilled to high alcohol content (90-120 proof), okolehao was popular during and after WWII, at one time gaining recognition as a liquor category distinct from rum or vodka, and some old timers say it was more like tequila. For a while production was even promoted by the state, which put a lower tax rate on it than "imported" spirits, until the feds made them stop. Several previous attempts to revive the okolehao trade in Hawai'i have failed. My impression is that Haleakala Distillers currently only produces enough okolehao to supply the curiosity trade.

Last edited by OpenD; 08-14-2012 at 04:22 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 05:22 AM

Oh yah, I recalled the negative review of Cruzan (which spouse and I both laughed at...riiiight, as if some arrogant person's silly write up is going to make us love it any less) and totally forgot your mentions of the Hawaiian rums. Your post would have been more useful (and I'd remembered the references to HI rums) if you'd simply answered the question about HI rums instead of posting that negative link. I had absolutely zero recall of your mention of local rums. And then you reminded me of the negativity again!

Last edited by HiloDiver; 08-14-2012 at 05:44 AM..

Old 08-14-2012, 09:12 AM

You're welcome!

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM

61 posts, read 121,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
18 BELOW???????? Please tell me you are kidding!!! Where?

And I thought S. Florida was too cold. Ah well, I suppose I won't regret packing my two electric room heaters and my electric blanket.
Welcome to the high desert! 4,500'... 100 degrees for 3 months in the summer, and below zero with snow in the winter. Fall and spring are nice. Nonetheless, much success with vineyards with that exception.

As to chocolate, one of my favorite movies was of that name, with Johnny Depp and Lena Olin (?). Got me wondering how she was able to make such gourmet chocolate almost single-handedly with minimal equipment. It was depicted as ALOT of work, but still. Was the process at all realistic?

Pistachios, yumm. I had a friend from Iran who gave me excellent pistachios grown on his family's land there. Turkey, too, I think has pistachios.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:30 PM

High desert where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island