Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
You would do better starting another Hawaii sea salt company
I love that pink salt that comes from Hawaii, but suspect it is not sea salt. I don't know how much work to remove impurities from sea salt to make it pure salt minus fish poop, mercury, and Japanese radiation fallout.

Wouldn't you have to have beach front to make sea salt? Or, I guess you could pump sea water into a tanker and haul it inland. Then you have to have permits to remove sea water from the ocean and environmental studies and permits to evaporate that water to get the salt.

Plus a dry enough environment to speed evaporation.

How much does salt sell for? Probably not the $36 a pound that the chocolate brings. Still, Pacific Flights, if you want to start a sea salt company, I support you, at least emotionally. I'll probably buy a pound of salt, too, once you've got it ready.

Maybe someone can sell island rum in salt rimmed glasses. Maybe I could put island rum into rum balls dipped in Hawaiian chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:03 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Maybe I could put island rum into rum balls dipped in Hawaiian chocolate.
Now you're talking!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 06:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
I love that pink salt that comes from Hawaii, but suspect it is not sea salt. I don't know how much work to remove impurities from sea salt to make it pure salt minus fish poop, mercury, and Japanese radiation fallout.
Pink Hawaiian salt is sea salt with iron oxide (rust) in it. The fish poop, etc., is a bonus, free gratis. Black and red Hawaiian sea salts each have dirt included, from the earthen trays where the seawater is evaporated. The tastes are traditional, and the various mineral contents are prized by health conscious folks. Refining out all the stuff that people now pay extra to have included in their unrefined salt would not seem to make sense as a business strategy.

Quote:
Maybe I could put island rum into rum balls dipped in Hawaiian chocolate.
I think this is definitely a promising concept, which will obviously require lots and lots of development work and lots and lots of tasting.

I'm up for the challenge!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:20 PM

61 posts, read 121,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
High desert where?
Eastern Utah. Backdrop of many old John Wayne movies and more recently, "Indiana Jones", "City Slickers", "Thelma and Louise", to name a few, and a couple weeks ago, Johnny Depp in "The Lone Ranger". Stark red rock formations and dry desert.

Hence, the B.I. makes a welcome verdant change...the lush foilage, the jungle, the rain, the ocean....which gets me to thinking: any movies made on the B.I?

Still wondering about the movie "Chocolate" and how she laboriously created such chocolate gems by hand, so keeping on topic!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrrMade View Post
Hence, the B.I. makes a welcome verdant change...the lush foilage, the jungle, the rain, the ocean....which gets me to thinking: any movies made on the B.I?
Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull (parts) was the most recent really big one.

Here's the Big Island Film Commission list, 1918-present:

Big Island Film Office

Here's a list from 1913 - 2009 of the major films shot in the state, with island noted:

Filmed in Hawaii

Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrrMade View Post
Eastern Utah.
Oh. For some reason I thought you were talking about Hawai'i. Thank goodness you were not. I'd never read anywhere else that it gets that cold and I was hoping you were wrong!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Oh. For some reason I thought you were talking about Hawai'i. Thank goodness you were not. I'd never read anywhere else that it gets that cold and I was hoping you were wrong!
IIRC, the record low at the top of Mauna Kea is 12 degrees F. You're safe.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM

Yup, that's what I'd found on my own. MyrrMade's prior post made it sound like she'd experienced those sub-zero temps on HI.

We are still amused that our new home is only two degrees latitude north of the home we are leaving, but SO much colder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island