Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 PM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times

Advertisements

I've heard from a few people that tourists are targeted on the BI, and to not leave anything laying around. Of course this is good advice anywhere, but is this true, and how serious should I be about keeping everything with me at all times?

I'm assuming things left in my condo are safe, and possibly some things left in my trunk when i'm out and about?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I've heard from a few people that tourists are targeted on the BI, and to not leave anything laying around. Of course this is good advice anywhere, but is this true, and how serious should I be about keeping everything with me at all times?
Don't leave anything in your car. If you don't leave it, they can't take it.

If you simply must leave something, put it in the trunk BEFORE you get to your destination. Putting something in your trunk after you've parked just tells any baddies who might be watching that you have something valuable and they should look for it in the trunk.

Your condo should be OK, but I'd still use a cable-lock on your laptop, and use common sense about what you leave lying around. I mean, it's not like they changed the locks for you.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

If you simply must leave something, put it in the trunk BEFORE you get to your destination. Putting something in your trunk after you've parked just tells any baddies who might be watching that you have something valuable and they should look for it in the trunk.

Your condo should be OK, but I'd still use a cable-lock on your laptop, and use common sense about what you leave lying around. I mean, it's not like they changed the locks for you.
I have a pretty expensive camera, so I should bring that inside with me even with stopping for lunch/dinner, etc?

Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Quote:
I have a pretty expensive camera, so I should bring that inside with me even with stopping for lunch/dinner, etc?
Yes.

And I haven't even moved to HI yet, but that's good advice everywhere that I've lived or visited. If you don't leave it behind, they can't steal it. I don't know how thieves sniff out out-of-sight valuables, but they do.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
100% yes!! As others have said, don't leave any valuables in your car. Not even for a few minutes. You can have a fantastic vacation here, and get plenty of wonderful photos, but don't be mislead by the beautiful surroundings into thinking that there are not thieves here too, just as elsewhere.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
One more safety tip for women: don't carry a purse with an open top and don't hang your purse on the back of your seat in a restaurant.

Pick pockets can walk by and dip their hand into a purse that is hanging on a chair. If it is hanging behind you, you will never realize that anyone has reached into your purse.

Use a purse that must be opened every time you want to access the contents. It is best, by far, if the fastening makes some noise when it is opened. Try to find a purse with a zipper or noisy Velcro.

The majority of thieves don't want any confrontation, so if they can't grab your stuff without attracting attention, they will probably move on to an easier target.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:27 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,129 times
Couple more safety tips...wear a purse that can be worn across your body rather than just on your shoulder.

Also, no matter how compassionate you might be, if a stranger asks you for money, it makes your wallet and other purse contents very vulnerable. I alleviate my guilt about this by donating to homeless feeding programs.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,610 times
The broken glass at a few remote location, like green sands beach, tells the story. I was astonished at how much safety glass was in the parking lot.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Pretty sad, don't the police do anything to stop these rogues?

I'm getting a personal articles policy before I leave, it's a good idea anyways it looks like. I'm covering all my expensive camera stuff for $40 a year with no deductible if it gets stolen

Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

I do this ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island