Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 02:28 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had birds released at Kona airport?

The state website says birds to Honolulu only. But it still says, in one place, that dogs must fly through Honolulu.

Birds to Honolulu, Dogs to Kona. The truck to Hilo. I wonder where plants have to arrive.

Logistics is giving me a headache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,918,822 times
All birds MUST go through HNL. The process is a pain. We brought over 7 parrots. Perhaps this will help you: How to import parrots and other birds into Hawaii

Also... all airlines have temp restrictions on when animals can land. Make sure your flight time (and season of year) are compatible with Kona's temps... which are higher than Hilo's.

Also... the fees for airport release on neighboring islands is usually more expensive than having them released in HNL and having a pet relocator service (who has reduced rate contract agreements with connecting airlines) pick them up from AG and put them on a flight to Kona or Hilo. We found it was cheaper not to use the neighbor island release for our dog.

Also... I'm assuming that if you are planning to bring your dogs over you understand you need to start the process at least 4 months ahead of time?

Last edited by terracore; 09-16-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
So you don't have to be there to get the animals released? You can pay someone to move them around and put them on their next flight? That's probably cheaper than flying back and forth to get them. Or my other option which is paying a college student to accompany them.

Yes, rabies, check. Mosquito proof housing and mosquito proof shipping crates, check.

I still have to call the airlines and see what the freight costs are for a crate of birds.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So you don't have to be there to get the animals released? You can pay someone to move them around and put them on their next flight? That's probably cheaper than flying back and forth to get them. Or my other option which is paying a college student to accompany them.

Yes, rabies, check. Mosquito proof housing and mosquito proof shipping crates, check.

I still have to call the airlines and see what the freight costs are for a crate of birds.
No, you don't have to be there. We just put down the name of the service that was picking up the animal on the paperwork and the rest was automatic. We used Hawaii Pet Movers | Animal Quarantine | Pet Transportation Services - Island Pet Movers This is not an endorsement, but we didn't have any major problems with them. They can provide as little or as much help as you want. Even though we were "experts" after the parrot import they gave some good pointers about getting our dog in. I would call them before or after the airlines- they might be able to get you a cheaper rate and overall price than if you didn't use their service at all. Best part is that they are on first-name basis with all the players involved at AG and the airlines so you have your "in". And that is invaluable.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:55 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,055,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Also... the fees for airport release on neighboring islands is usually more expensive than having them released in HNL and having a pet relocator service (who has reduced rate contract agreements with connecting airlines) pick them up from AG and put them on a flight to Kona or Hilo. We found it was cheaper not to use the neighbor island release for our dog.
Hmmmm...I'm not going back to look it up, but IIRC it was actually about $20 cheaper per dog to have neighbor island release in Kona rather than landing in Honolulu to clear. Not to mention saving having to take a fifth flight in our four flight move, aye yi yi!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Hmmmm...I'm not going back to look it up, but IIRC it was actually about $20 cheaper per dog to have neighbor island release in Kona rather than landing in Honolulu to clear. Not to mention saving having to take a fifth flight in our four flight move, aye yi yi!!!
You are probably right. I forgot to mention that our dog had to transit through HNL regardless if she was released there or in KOA because of the way flights from Alaska worked. So it was just cheaper to get her released there, picked up, and then air cargo'd over to Hilo. Plus it saved us the drive to KOA.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 AM

I see...every situation is different. It just happened to work out best for us to fly FLL-SEA-OAK-KOA. The flights were astoundingly inexpensive. And, Alaska only charges $100/dog/ticket...we only had to pay for one dog ticket for each pooch.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
I see...every situation is different. It just happened to work out best for us to fly FLL-SEA-OAK-KOA. The flights were astoundingly inexpensive. And, Alaska only charges $100/dog/ticket...we only had to pay for one dog ticket for each pooch.
I assume that means you were on the same plane as the dogs? Its quite a bit different if they are "cargo" instead of "baggage".

Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM

Why gee, I didn't know that, Terracore!

I guess you missed my "every situation is different" comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island