Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM

502 posts, read 989,096 times

Advertisements

Please share if you have seen the rare I'iwi hawaiian bird in your neighborhood. If you have seen it, can you feed it with a similar hummingbird nectar feeder or is that verboten? I would like to attract them if possible but would not want to hurt them with anything improper. Please tell if you sight them. I read that they sip nectar of the Ohia flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM

941 posts, read 1,972,985 times
I see a trend: dogs, long pig, honu, ... Is this thread going to mention eating them too?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,826,835 times
Coming soon, MangoDog's Exotic Buffet.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,523,751 times
The 'I'iwi (pronounced ee ee vee - notice it is spelled with two 'okinas*) is an endangered bird endemic to Hawai'i, already extinct on Lanai and nearly extinct on others. The largest remaining population is found in the island of Hawai'i, above 4,000' altitude, in the area around Volcano. The village is on a natural flyway between Volcanoes National Park and Olala Forest, two sanctuaries for them. Pretty much anywhere you see flowering ʽōhiʽa lehua or mamane trees around Volcano you will eventually see the flutter of the 'I'iwis. Look for them early morning and late afternoon, high in the treetops. They are very social, so you will typically see them in groups of 3 or more.

Even though they are a bright red color, they are small and they are fast, so if you have trouble spotting them yourself, I suggest you take a guided nature hike, on which you are very likely to have some pointed out. Then once you know what to look for they are easier to find on tour own. There is a free nature hike every Monday morning at 9am from the Volcano Art Center, on Old Volcano Rd. And there are periodic guided nature hikes and photography hikes in the Park, also free. See the park website for schedules.

* 'okina is one of the letters of the Hawaiian alphabet, and it denotes a glottal stop, which is a soft catch at the back of the throat. On a standard English keyboard the single open quote symbol is used to denote this letter. In other words, in this context it is not punctuation, but an actual letter of the Hawaiian alphabet.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
* 'okina is one of the letters of the Hawaiian alphabet, and it denotes a glottal stop, which is a soft catch at the back of the throat. On a standard English keyboard the single open quote symbol is used to denote this letter. In other words, in this context it is not punctuation, but an actual letter of the Hawaiian alphabet.
Ist diesen nicht der Hawaiian 'umlaut'?

Was ist los mit 'schmetterling?'

Aloha

staring at the sun while sipping mai tais all morning has its disadvantages

Last edited by Jungjohann; 02-27-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM

502 posts, read 989,096 times
Thank You OPEND, all ways on top of your game as usual. It would be fun if we could hear from residents who feed or enjoy them from their residence. If not, I wonder if they feel they need to protect them from the public. hoy polloi.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Ist diesen nicht der Hawaiian 'umlaut'?
No, you're thinking of the macron, or as it is better known today, the kahakō, which is the symbol over the final "o" in kahakō. Like the umlaut, it is a mark that alters the pronunciation of that letter, denoting that the sound of the letter is twice as long as usual.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,591,685 times
Gotta admit OD, you take some stuff a little too serious, but thanks for the update. If there were any two languages that couldn't sound much different from one another, it would be Hawaiian and German. As far as the birds are concerned, any of the Chinese Finch up in Vulcano? They even harass the chuckers over here.

Wiedersehen

Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,366,038 times
Mangodog, find out what they eat naturally, and plant a lot of it. Find out what they nest in and plant a lot of that. With food and habitat, they will come to your yard.

If you feed them sugar water, you turn them into welfare recipients.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
Thank You OPEND, all ways on top of your game as usual. It would be fun if we could hear from residents who feed or enjoy them from their residence. If not, I wonder if they feel they need to protect them from the public. hoy polloi.
At home in Volcano I see them every day, along with the ʻApapane, which are also red, but with a shorter bill than the 'I'iwi (and straighter black bill vs hooked and salmon colored), and the Amakihi, which are green. But that isn't because I feed them, it's because I have a lot of Ohi'a for them to feed on, as do all my neighbors.

What keeps them coming around is a plentiful natural food source... the red bristle blossoms of the ʽōhiʽa lehua or the yellow flowers of the mamane (they also eat some bugs, but primarily they sip nectar through their soda-straw-like tongues)... and absence of direct threats, like feral cats.

The biggest threats to their continued survival are loss of habitat and avian malaria and avian pox... the reason they are rarely seen below 4,000' today is that mosquitoes carrying avian malaria have wiped them out, but those mosquitoes are rarely found above 4,000'. So the Belt Highway through Volcano falls on a kind of natural dividing line. Makai the highway, in the newer subdivisions at lower elevationsare you'll find coquis and mosquitoes and fewer honeycreepers. Mauka the highway, at higher elevations are more honeycreepers, fewer mosquitoes, and fewer coquis. At least so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: