Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 12:53 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,912,707 times

Advertisements

I'll start with a quick bio on myself and my wife. We currently live in Topeka, Kansas, I was born here, but my wife is from Shanghai, China. I'm self-employed and run a lawn mowing/landscaping company. After taxes and expenses I make about $60,000 year and we live very comfortably. My wife is currently waiting for her green card, but she does have a masters degree in International Marketing, however her real dream job is to own a Chinese restaurant and she has experience managing a restaurant. We are looking at moving to either Hawaii or the West coast for a few reasons. First we would like to be in a more Chinese or Asian community. Second we would like to be closer to China as we travel back and forth every year. Just the flight savings each year would be over $1000 from either the west coast or Hawaii. The third main reason we want to move is for a climate change. My wife has lived here for 5 years and is used to the weather, but neither of us really like the weather, very cold winters and very hot summers (not the best for my business either). I've been doing some research and I think Hilo is a good choice for us. I like the fact that it's a small ruralish town, but is also mostly Asian (not sure what type of Asian however). Also, from what I understand it gets a lot of rain and has a great climate. My wife's biggest complaint about Kansas is the lack of rain (Shanghai is similar to Seattle climate wise).

Because of the climate and all the rain I would think it would be a good place to operate a mowing/landscaping company. So I have a few questions about this. Does Hawai'i have regulations against running a business from home and if so is it enforced? Also, does anyone happen to know the going rate for lawn mowing in and around Hilo? If Hilo is not a good location, where in Hawai'i would be a good location or would I be better off going to California or Washington State?

I've looked around the forums and I want to be clear I'm not some day dreaming bum and I don't want to live like I'm on a permanent vacation. I love my job and I love working, and more importantly I like having money. I don't want to move to Hawai'i and then not have any money. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:34 PM

32,703 posts, read 48,261,883 times
I know this about restaurants. It's not about cooking, it's about being a control freak businessman and it is darn hard work. Looking in from the outside, I've seen several really successful restaurants that are busy because their food is much better than anything else available. Once a reputation is established (which takes a long time), then people will drive in from out of the area for a restaurant.

How much competition for a Chinese restaurant? I have no idea. But I would be willing to drive a bit for a really good Chinese restaurant.

For gardening, The Big island is a relatively tight income area. So I don't know how many people can afford to pay to have their lawn mowed or how many people are competing for those mowing jobs. I almost think you will have to come and look around. Also, perhaps not sporting, but run some fake ads on Craigslist offering mowing service and see if you get any response.

Because there are so many retired people, I would think that a handyman type service might work. Screens off and on, carrying heavy items, weed pulling, tree trimming, fixing drippy faucets.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,912,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I know this about restaurants. It's not about cooking, it's about being a control freak businessman and it is darn hard work. Looking in from the outside, I've seen several really successful restaurants that are busy because their food is much better than anything else available. Once a reputation is established (which takes a long time), then people will drive in from out of the area for a restaurant.

How much competition for a Chinese restaurant? I have no idea. But I would be willing to drive a bit for a really good Chinese restaurant.

For gardening, The Big island is a relatively tight income area. So I don't know how many people can afford to pay to have their lawn mowed or how many people are competing for those mowing jobs. I almost think you will have to come and look around. Also, perhaps not sporting, but run some fake ads on Craigslist offering mowing service and see if you get any response.

Because there are so many retired people, I would think that a handyman type service might work. Screens off and on, carrying heavy items, weed pulling, tree trimming, fixing drippy faucets.
Thanks for the reply, I've worked construction for 8 years as well, so being a handyman on the side might be something to consider and I hadn't thought about there being a large retirement community, should have been more obvious, but knowing that will really help as retired people do normally want services provided for them, but one also has to realize they are on a budget, most likely a tight budget. My wife is a really hard worker, when she worked in Shanghai she would regularly work 60-70 hours a week, 6 days a week for so little money most Americans would be shocked. She managed a Chinese restaurant here for about 3 years and did a great job.

I'm going to take your craigslist advice too, my brother calls them feelers instead of a fake ad... lol

Old 09-20-2012, 02:44 PM

36 posts, read 57,416 times
For a more Chinese community, I would suggest the west coast or Oahu. Most of the Asians on the Hilo side seem to be Filipino or Japanese, where as Honolulu does have a Chinatown. I would also imagine in Honolulu the chances of starting a lawn/landscaping company may be easier with the larger population base. However I would imagine the competition of starting a Chinese restaurant in Honolulu would be a killer.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:47 PM

181 posts, read 587,077 times
Lots of yards in Hilo, but plenty of gardeners, too.

There's a "local" thing in Hilo and the local gardeners are not going to appreciate your coming in and taking their clients. Expect big time stink eye from them. Better hire a least one local so if you're in the backyard working, he can be out front working and watching the equipment. If not, you might come out and the whole truck will be gone.

Lots of restaurants come and go in Hilo. A few are almost always crowded and have been around for ages, but most close after awhile. Hilo is not a very prosperous town. (It is not what I would call a city at all. maybe large town. You'll see what I mean if you ever get there.) If your wife does open a place, she's not going to be able to handle it alone. You're both going to put in looong hours to make it work.

Odds are not on your side, but the east side of the Big Island is a great place to live if you can somehow make a living. You didn't mention kids and if you have some I'd tell you not to try it, but if its just you two, I'd say give it a try.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,088,002 times
$60K in Topeka is probably similar to making $95K here. So, between higher costs of living and lower income, figure on about 30% less earning power. I'm just guessing, though.

I think lawn mowing can be found for $15 per hour pretty easily. $10 per hour if they use your machine. You might be able to work it up to $20 per hour after awhile, though.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,237,093 times
I think the real money is to bid on the contracts for condo complexes. We were told that our landscaping costs in our hood was 60k per month!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,088,002 times
If that condo is paying that amount, someone is being overcharged. That would be salary amounts for a whole landscape crew, including health benefits.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:16 PM

181 posts, read 587,077 times
Here's an article from a local paper on employment and the economy in general on the Big Island'

It will give you some idea of what is happening on the Big Island.

You may not be looking for a job per se, but people have to have jobs to get enough money to pay you for cutting their lawn or eating in your restaurant.

[SIZE=2]Welfare recipients double | Hawaii Tribune Herald[/SIZE]

Old 09-21-2012, 05:44 PM

67 posts, read 159,636 times
Our lawn person works in the pouring down rain, uses his own equipment and gasoline at the rate of $15.00 per hour. He is often trying to drum up work. There are a lot of signs posted by landscapers. Also, you must keep in mind that the terrain and rain here means that some lawns will require the entire job be done with a weedwacker instead of a normal mower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island