Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic462 View Post
I never argued with the cop at that is where some of you folks are mistaken...
Nobody said you did. Seriously. Read back through every message in this thread carefully, and you'll find that nobody ever said that you argued with the cop.

It's an interesting thing to notice...

Old 09-23-2012, 01:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Magic - I see no harm in contesting the citation in front of a judge. If you just pay the thing - the same result will occur if you are found guilty in court - you pay a fine and have points on your record. Since you don't actually have an electrical problem then there is no reason to allow your record to be sullied or lose cash.

I suggest that you enter the code number for both "violations" as printed on the citation into a search engine and try to find specific information on the actual statute that way - since your state online VC is woefully inadequate. You could also visit a library and find a print copy of the vehicle code. I'm beginning to think that the cop just got mad and had to justify his action somehow so he wrote up a sham violation thinking that you wouldn't research it and challenge it in court.

Find out everything that you can about what you are being charged with before making a decision is my reccomendation. From what you are telling me - you did nothing illegal - nor were you operating with faulty equipment. Your statement that you were having problems with the lights can't be proven to be false - how can the court show that you weren't having issues with the lights before you were pulled over? I still don't understand the license plate obstruction part - but you can find the law about that also.

There has to be a statute in place for you to be found guilty of one. Don't take the cops word for it that you are in violation of something - find the specific law that he says you broke and learn the elements that the court needs to prove to find you guilty.

Also - here in California - traffic school is offered that you can attend for one day and have charges dismissed - which results in no damage to your driving record. If Hawaii offers that option - you might go that route if doing the research ends up being to hard.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
I was flashing my light to oncoming motorist so they dont get caught for speeding as someone got pulled over. He asked me why I was flashing my light and I told him I was testing out my lights to make sure they work and I think there could be an electrical problem with my car. So he gives me writes me up 40 dollars for bad electrical problem with vehicle and 70 dollars for safety sticker obstructing license plate.
This isn't terribly complicated.

Go to a safety check place and have them fix the safety sticker situation. At the same time, have the person give you a clean bill of health on the electrical - for hopefully under $40. Now, roll the dice with a judge. Or, don't bother with the electrical - and tell the judge you were nervous and your electrical system was fine - you wanted to warn motorists of upcoming police activity and leave it at that.

In the future, rethink your "niceness" or tell the truth, you were warning motorists of police activity and warning them to be careful - Hawaii as best I can tell doesn't ticket you for that.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:03 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,305 times
Quote:
The forum sucks ass to all you...just let you guys. So thanks for making such a friendly environment. The only person here with respect was harris. He couldn't even find anything on the Hawaii website dealing with electrical issue being a law. I couldn't either with that link he has given.

Not keeping your vehicle properly maintained can be a violation in EVERY State in the US, stating a possible electric issue wasn't too bright.

How about "I was flashing to warn the driver there was a car stopped on the side of the road ahead", you did say there was a car already pulled over right?

Old 09-24-2012, 08:12 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,423,457 times
The OP has decided to pay the ticket.....so we'll put this one to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island