Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 01:05 AM

55 posts, read 423,789 times

Advertisements

I think I did good on the police test, but I know I didnt pass as well...there was 153 question but I only answer 94...testing was from 1:30-4:00pm. I arrived alittle late say 1:40 and I had to use the bathroom during the test which cut off time, so I probaby could have gotten to 120 if it wasnt for a major **** lol. Started on the test and ended up finishing at question 94. So if anyone answered the same amount questions or less, then I passed for sure this time. The testing lady told me thats about what many of the people answer. So I am keeping my fingers crossed this time around that what she told me is true...if not then I am not going to pass at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,797 times
Best of luck to you!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,646 times
You did well, not good :-) Good luck, and keep on trying. There may be books on passing such exams. Often it's a matter of knowing how to take a test in general, not just the material of the questions. I remember takikng an oral foreign language exam for a job I had with the State Department, and I had to go to the rest room so many times I think they took pity on me. But, years before, I took many civil service exams, and learned I had to arrive early, to make sure I was there on time and be able to relax. One time I actually started marking answers on the wrong row, and by the time I realized what I'd done, I was screwed. I did better on other exams.

The exam was for which exact department? Can you take police or sheriff exams in other locations on the island? Can you retake the exam in the future? Take classes for general education and keep on trying.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
+1 !

Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic462 View Post
Started on the test and ended up finishing at question 94. So if anyone answered the same amount questions or less, then I passed for sure this time.
My advice is: try to keep your expectations low. You only know that you provided answers to 61% of the questions. What you don't know is how many you will be given credit for. And I believe they can fail everyone in your testing group if the test scores are too low.

Second, even if you pass this test, it's only the first of many, and you have to pass them all. Psychological fitness test, physical test, performance tests, background check... it's quite a gauntlet one has to go through to qualify. Even if you do pass the written test, you're maybe 1/10 of the way through the process of qualifying.

And echoing what MKWC posted, given how unhappy your various contacts have been with HPD, based on your previous posts, I wonder if you would not be better suited for some other line of work?

What's your degree in? Seems to me that would be the best area for you to look for work in. Or how about your practical experience with setting up computers? Why not pursue something along that line?

I wish you well, but I'm concerned that you seem to be putting a lot of energy and hope into something that you might not be well suited for.

Good luck!

Old 12-09-2012, 12:59 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
You arrived late for the test? I'm sorry, but I think you eliminated yourself right there. I don't think police applicants get marked down too horribly for poor grammar, but it doesn't look good when you can't be on time for something of major importance.

If I were hiring, I would assume that you wouldn't show up on time for work, either.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM

222 posts, read 389,573 times
I'd say grammar is very important since most every action taken (as an officer) will require a written report to be submitted. If your report is filled with errors, the defense attorney will tear you a new one!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrot View Post
I'd say grammar is very important since most every action taken (as an officer) will require a written report to be submitted. If your report is filled with errors, the defense attorney will tear you a new one!
Yes, and yours is not the first comment here along those lines. Nor the second, or even the third.

I think the ability to communicate clearly is one of the key requisites of a modern police officer. And it follows that an inability to communicate clearly could be a valid reason to disqualify a candidate.

Like I said earlier, there are many standards to meet to qualify for a job in public safety. It's not just a matter of passing a written test. Not everyone is cut out for this very demanding line of work.

So it's good for an applicant to keep their expectations in check. It's not a job so much as it is a calling, and few are selected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: