Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM

39 posts, read 73,685 times

Advertisements

Lady in her 50's looking to move to the Big Island of HI in May-June 2013. Got the cat already started with the Dept. of Ag. requirements, got some cash saved up, already have a serious appreciation of slippahs, and will "do what it takes" as far as work and paying my way goes...I've got 40 years of work history so I should be able to find something! I've also spent a few years in AK so the higher cost of living will not be any shock to me, plus the weather on HI is not harsh. NOW - WHERE TO LOOK? I hear I should rent before buying and make sure I like it - that makes sense. I've been doing a lot of research and a lot of areas look so nice! I'll be going on a re-con mission a month before I come and I'd like to have a few suggestions so I am not too scattered. Do not want to live where the coqui frogs have infested and do not prefer to live in a lava field! I'm a liberal-minded, "sort-of" hippie (have great work ethics and shower regularly, though )enjoy gardening and would enjoy becoming involved in a community center (hula lessons? community garden?). Open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:17 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
If you are looking for work and don't want to be where the coquis are, then that leaves Kona side. The suggestion has been made many times to plan on renting for a while before deciding on a permanent place. And NEVER, EVER agree to rent anything sight unseen. Check out the place during the day and at night, when everyone has come home from work. You may luck out and find a nice little ohana.

What kind of work are you looking for? I suggest that you look at listings in West Hawaii Today and Craigslist just to get an idea of what kind of work is available. I also suggest that you spend some time reading through the many postings on this forum that have discussed all aspects of moving to Hawaii. Sounds like you've got some good plans going, but living in Hawaii can be a real challenge for the unprepared.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 PM

39 posts, read 73,685 times
Default research

Oh yes, I have been looking at all the ads I can find for both rentals and for work. I may be being overly optimistic - but I think I won't have any trouble finding a job or two - I've done almost everything that's moral and legal and don't mind doing so again! LOL So only the Kona side is relatively coqui free? I'm bummed...Hamakua and North Kohala areas were looking really awesome to me. I'll plan on finding a place to live when I come over on my re-con mission - I have seen the suggestions of not renting sight unseen and know about all the scams. I appreciate the reminder about not being prepared! I will continue to do my homework. I do have the advantage of having a gal-pal and her husband living there for several years now so they will help steer me in the right direction and I am hoping for more comments and suggestions on this forum. Thank you so much for your reply!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
North Kohala is on Kona side and should be coqui free. I don't know about Hamakua.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM

25 posts, read 38,641 times
Are the coquis really bad enough to rule out living on the east side?
In my visits to Puerto Rico - pretty much the Land of Coquis - I can't recall them being any worse than mildly annoying. Certainly less disruptive to sleep than the next-door rooster who starts crowing at 3:00 am.

While I'm guessing that as an invasive species in HI their numbers might not have the same natural controls and therefore density is higher, noisy frogs seem like a small drawback rather than a dealbreaker.

Edit: per Wikipedia, "The Common Coquí is the most abundant frog in Puerto Rico with densities estimated at 20,000 individuals/ha, and as an invasive species can reach up to 91,000 individuals/ha in Hawaii". So yeah, that's over quadruple. Yikes. Still I'm curious what current residents think of them...

Last edited by dulcamara; 09-27-2012 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times
We're here a month, Hilo area, and the coquis don't bother us in the least. They combine into one big white noise that lulls us to sleep.

If you have good skills, and it sounds like you do, Altres Staffing will put you RIGHT to work as a temp. What better way to earn some money while becoming aquainted with a new area?

We've been in Hilo for a month and change and WE LOVE IT HERE. But we have a dilemma. There is TOO MUCH TO DO and we are constantly having to make decisions on how to spend our free time. We made friends in your age demographic from the get go and already have a busy social life. There is a huge population of early retired, working less stressful jobs than they retired from, 50-ish hippies. Don't be surprised if the long-haired hippy person you are talking to is an early-retired attorney or county manager or other professional!

As others point out, there is no reason to buy at first...rent and see if you like it. Real estate is not a liquid investment. Make a mistake and it's hard to correct it! Renting is cheap. Maybe rent in a few areas to decide what you really like before taking the leap.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara View Post
While I'm guessing that as an invasive species in HI their numbers might not have the same natural controls and therefore density is higher, noisy frogs seem like a small drawback rather than a dealbreaker.
For some they are. There have been lawsuits over them... for non-disclosures, that kind of thing. For some they are an annoyance, for others a nightmare. Nobody but you can determine what they will be for you.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,092 times
Well there you go, OpenD is correct...again.

We sleep right through their lullaby. In fact, if they were silent, I'd wake right up in a cold sweat!!!

Others detest them. In fact, a few forum regulars begged me to not move here because they believed that I would hate them so much.

Well, they are charming...to us. I actually like to talk back to them. They say "Coe key?" and I reply "Coe key! Coe key!"

YMMV.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,631 times
Hello gang. I've lurked for several years and we made 'the move' last month. 11 of us. My wife and I plus 9 kids (ages 3 thru 25). Best move we have ever made and would do it again riding on the back of a sea turtle.

We never experienced the quiet before the storm of frogs so I can't comment on them too much. I will say that here in lower Leilani the frogs are active and don't bother us yet. On the other hand I can understand the frustration of those who had silence before these guys came over.

Yes, rent first and only after you've seen the place and met the owner if possible. Now, with that said, we did just the opposite and it is working out perfectly. You just never know and you will take a heck of a chance if you rent an unseen, unknown house. We took the risk (gut feelings and investigative work online) and it panned out. You might take the risk and get burned. Sounds a lot like Vegas, eh?

As far as the sound the frogs make, it sounds like 'Bo Peep' to me.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM

49 posts, read 132,781 times
The more $ you have to spend, the more 'community' you will have (decent community anyway). If you need to drive more than 20 minutes to get to work or an aerobics class, you'll appreciate your community.

It's funny maybe, but it seems to be that you either get the coquis on the east side or the lava fields on the west side.
Unless you have millions of $$, then you can be free of both.

We plan on buying all the lime that BEI can bring in. And we've already training our 8 female and 2 male siamese to catch coquis. We're going to make a MINT selling these!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: